Radar reflectors

Luke @Odysseytouched on the value of radar reflectors last week, here’s an example from today1609DA5B-910B-4EC2-87CE-1DBD307EFC36.thumb.png.b33743f86f0557685eb049f6a0d6b9fc.png

The large target in the middle I’ve marked was an 18’ fishing boat with an echo max style reflector. AB797268-28D1-49C2-A542-C899B162389F.thumb.jpeg.16053de412d752c1d2c07fdf86e2773c.jpegThe target return was as big as the 30’ sailing cat in front of it and bigger than the fishing boat behind which was also a lot bigger. 
I think I’ll buy one. 

8 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

That's a good illustration of the benefit of a decent reflector. You've got me thinking about one now.

And the photos were both the right way up. I’ve taken my bollocking, I’m repentant 

There was a study done on reflectors abs how well they performed, interesting read 🙂 

https://www.ussailing.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/2007-Radar-Reflector-Test.pdf

Edited by Odyssey

3 hours ago, JonC said:

And the photos were both the right way up. I’ve taken my bollocking, I’m repentant 

The echo max range has one that has a light built in, so I think my best thing will be to get rid of the boggy anchor light I have and fit one on top of the arch in its place 

1 minute ago, JonC said:

The base mount looks a bit big for my arch, I’ll have to work it out 

I went for the rotating removable mounting plate because it was easier to fit than the standard. Mine was mounted on the grp roof in place of the anchor light . 

1 minute ago, Saintly Fish said:

I went for the rotating removable mounting plate because it was easier to fit than the standard. Mine was mounted on the grp roof in place of the anchor light . 

A89FC65D-C1AC-4BF3-8319-0DCFA4BD89E0.jpeg.a91f411481b89960d0dee93959abbd9c.jpegIf you crank your head round or press screen rotation lock then you’ll see what I mean, my anchor light platform is only about 70mm diameter 

2 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Take a look at these then. Or they do different mounting options.

https://www.echomax.co.uk/actives

As much as it pains me your earlier suggestion of sticking it between the spot lights may have some legs, it would also hide the old mounting holes that I’ve never repaired , it’s just if it casts a shadow in front of my radome