Brewdog-battered whiting nuggets

Andy135

This is a favourite with our kids who prefer the higher ratio of batter to fish that nuggets offer compared with a battered fillet. You will need:

2-3 whiting

1 can Brewdog Punk IPA

3 tablespoons plain flour

3 tablespoons cornflour 

500ml groundnut oil

Seasoning

First, make up the batter. Pour the flour and cornflour into a large bowl and whisk to aerate. Then season with S&P to taste.

108qasl.jpg

Add enough Punk IPA to give the consistency of thick emulsion, between one third and half a can. Whisk well.

W7SFOxI.jpg

Leave the batter to stand for 10 mins or so, and in the meantime fill a shallow pan to 1/3rd full with ground nut oil. Bring to a low-medium heat, around gas mark 3.

Slice your whiting fillets into chunks about 3 or 4cm square and mix into the batter.

G7nvgmg.jpg

Fry for around 1 minute, maybe a little more if your whiting chunks are on the large side, then drain and serve, seasoned with S&P.

zQQh4JI.jpg

Of course I like to check the quality of my cooking before serving to the kids, so here's a gratuitous greasy finger shot... 😜

mAc0H6S.jpg

30 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

He’s also forgotten the most important part which is safe disposal of remaining beer.....

That is such an obvious safety item that I didn't feel it needed repeating! 😉🍻

1 hour ago, Andy135 said:

That is such an obvious safety item that I didn't feel it needed repeating! 😉🍻

You can only "repeat" something that has already been said. Whilst I knew where the Brewdog remnants would end up, there was no mention of it - hence no repeat. Geoff.

18 minutes ago, Geoff said:

You can only "repeat" something that has already been said. Whilst I knew where the Brewdog remnants would end up, there was no mention of it - hence no repeat. Geoff.

Oh, Geoff! You're such a cunning linguist 😛

On 12/13/2020 at 7:06 PM, Andy135 said:

This is a favourite with our kids who prefer the higher ratio of batter to fish that nuggets offer compared with a battered fillet. You will need:

2-3 whiting

1 can Brewdog Punk IPA

3 tablespoons plain flour

3 tablespoons cornflour 

500ml groundnut oil

Seasoning

First, make up the batter. Pour the flour and cornflour into a large bowl and whisk to aerate. Then season with S&P to taste.

108qasl.jpg

Add enough Punk IPA to give the consistency of thick emulsion, between one third and half a can. Whisk well.

W7SFOxI.jpg

Leave the batter to stand for 10 mins or so, and in the meantime fill a shallow pan to 1/3rd full with ground nut oil. Bring to a low-medium heat, around gas mark 3.

Slice your whiting fillets into chunks about 3 or 4cm square and mix into the batter.

G7nvgmg.jpg

Fry for around 1 minute, maybe a little more if your whiting chunks are on the large side, then drain and serve, seasoned with S&P.

zQQh4JI.jpg

Of course I like to check the quality of my cooking before serving to the kids, so here's a gratuitous greasy finger shot... 😜

mAc0H6S.jpg

That looks really nice Andy .......... but I am not a great fan of whiting, I find them to be very bland ............... the only fish I eat are Plaice, Bream, Mackerel, Pollock, Cod, and JD's ..................

1 hour ago, GPSguru said:

That looks really nice Andy .......... but I am not a great fan of whiting, I find them to be very bland ............... the only fish I eat are Plaice, Bream, Mackerel, Pollock, Cod, and JD's ..................

Yes, I'm inclined to agree. They have a very mild taste, and that's probably why the kids like them; they're not "fishy".