The experimental bait thread.

1 hour ago, suzook12 said:

Dunno if that would sticky it up enough, maybe worth a shot at the price, worm and crab flavour.....

• 2 years later...
On 12/17/2020 at 9:06 AM, Saintly Fish said:

Any one know what you catch with these? I’ve had them sat in my work shop for years. They came as a free gift with another purchase.

B3274B59-84FB-45D0-8305-67246C580F70.jpeg.6b9fbd70f6b355deee5c7bf089a8e6ea.jpeg

Not sure if you have used them but these are some ways to rig them. 

Screenshot_20230324_094759_Chrome.thumb.jpg.fc1f6db8cab03a7653eef768873236f3.jpg

this is the way I would rig them for rough ground, cod and wrasse, but at the right time of year and place am sure bass would take them.

For clean ground...

Screenshot_20230324_094822_Chrome.thumb.jpg.46963f44444a6c79feed7cb637cfb8a3.jpg

46 minutes ago, Malc said:

Not sure if you have used them but these are some ways to rig them. 

Screenshot_20230324_094759_Chrome.thumb.jpg.fc1f6db8cab03a7653eef768873236f3.jpg

this is the way I would rig them for rough ground, cod and wrasse, but at the right time of year and place am sure bass would take them.

For clean ground...

Screenshot_20230324_094822_Chrome.thumb.jpg.46963f44444a6c79feed7cb637cfb8a3.jpg

I'm guessing they're so old now the attractant smell has gone. 

Just now, Saintly Fish said:

I'm guessing they're so old now the attractant smell has gone. 

I doubt that the attractant would really work even when fresh. It's more about shape and movement IMO, and being where the fish are.

• 10 months later...
3 minutes ago, Bazzer said:

I caught a decent bass on mango and lime bbq chicken (last bit off the bbq) when fishing off the council pontoon at entrance to Hamble. They loved it !!

Around the Hamble the bass are so used to feeding off food scraps that go overboard from all the marina boats. I'm not surprised that you had success with the bbq leftovers! 

I used to fish down the side of the piers in Portland Harbour in the good old days when we could shove leftovers into the grinder and discharge straight over the side, the sound of the gash gobbler was a dinner bell to the mullet and bass, dairylea cheese was a good bait iirc.

Edited by Malc

50 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

How'd you keep that on the hook?

Guessing a ball of dairylea and bread mash could work.

Or maybe @Malc just left them in their little triangular foils??

2 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

How'd you keep that on the hook?

Just mould it round the hook and dropped into cold water, it seemed to work pretty good as I don't remember any frustration with it coming off. Trying to keep the fish out of the pier legs or the stabiliser fins was interesting though. 

5 minutes ago, Malc said:

Just mould it round the hook and dropped into cold water, it seemed to work pretty good as I don't remember any frustration with it coming off. Trying to keep the fish out of the pier legs or the stabiliser fins was interesting though. 

Ever tried laughing cow?

We have some pretty strict rules on what can be used as baits here. Locally caught and frozen prawns are ok but we are not allowed to use any imported prawns, even though they are sold for human consumption. Also most shellfish can't be collected and used for bait but again can be used for human consumption. The reason being viruses can be spread from one part of the coast to another. The commercial shellfish we catch has extremely tight regulations as viruses have been spread in the past.
https://www.agriculture.gov.au/biosecurity-trade/policy/risk-analysis/animal/prawns/prawn-imports-and-biosecurity#:~:text=Never use supermarket prawns for,affect our native aquatic animals.

https://agriculture.vic.gov.au/biosecurity/animal-diseases/aquatic-animal-diseases/abalone-disease

Edited by JDP