The experimental bait thread.

1 minute ago, Andy135 said:

No first hand experience, and it could be a tall fishermans tale, but I've heard of marshmellows for cod. Might have to take a bag of them with me next time I'm out...

Seems like we need an “unusual bait only” trip. 

Not me, but I fished next to a guy in a SW Scotland  shore comp many years ago and he was using kippers for bait. He was cutting the kippers into 2inch chunks of with scissors and caught doggie after doggie after doggie. 

There's a moral to this, don't use kippers as bait!

6 minutes ago, JDP said:

I have used these with success, not as good as plastics but when the fish are firing up well they work. Better on the environment too.

569972306_ScreenShot2020-12-17at7_51_25pm.png.af32abecac6effe01bc937f018521211.png

Interesting to hear that. I did wonder whether sweet jelly worms would work.

2 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Any one know what you catch with these? I’ve had them sat in my work shop for years. They came as a free gift with another purchase.

B3274B59-84FB-45D0-8305-67246C580F70.jpeg.6b9fbd70f6b355deee5c7bf089a8e6ea.jpeg

What are they supposed to be? Can't really see. Grubs, shrimps or what?

13 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Any one know what you catch with these? I’ve had them sat in my work shop for years. They came as a free gift with another purchase.

B3274B59-84FB-45D0-8305-67246C580F70.jpeg.6b9fbd70f6b355deee5c7bf089a8e6ea.jpeg

Here they catch all manner of species from bream, snapper,tailor, flathead and jewfish. You can buy them pre-rigged or like yours.

6 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

How do you rig them Jon?

Like any other plastic and often split them up the middle of the tail. They only last a couple of gentle drops but its normally the drop that gets a fish. Some days not even the best action plastics will work.

2 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

On what though? A running ledger  

I wouldn't have thought so - these are lures, not meant to be fished statically I'm guessing so you'd have to rig them on a jig head or some other weighted hook so that you can cast and retrieve them, or maybe suspend them under a float.