Sea anchors

Hi all

From a small boat we use a large drogue to slow the drift and keep the boat bow-on to the swell, just seemed to make sense and add safety.  Anyone here use one on bigger boats, and what type?  Years ago, sharking, we used a bucket on a rope to stop the boat spinning in the breeze and keep a good chum trail.

I have heard of these but never used one. I don’t really see how they work. Obviously they sit in the water and “fan” out catching water. But if the tide is moving the boat at a certain speed and the drogue is moving in the same direction as the tide, what slows things down? 
Or am I being thick? (Most probably)

If you have wind blowing against tide it can help straighten you out. Or if wind and and tide are together you can have a 4knt drift quite easily. Great for sharking but not do good for wrecking, so with a sea anchor you are using the tide to slow you down as you now have more resistance to the wind. 

fast planing hulls like mine ski off in all directions in wind.... prop driven boats are less of an issue. 

21 hours ago, SiDfish said:

Hi all

From a small boat we use a large drogue to slow the drift and keep the boat bow-on to the swell, just seemed to make sense and add safety.  Anyone here use one on bigger boats, and what type?  Years ago, sharking, we used a bucket on a rope to stop the boat spinning in the breeze and keep a good chum trail.

I use a prawn basket when at anchor, if the wind is blowing to keep straight in the tide

On 12/17/2020 at 3:56 PM, Saintly Fish said:

I have heard of these but never used one. I don’t really see how they work. Obviously they sit in the water and “fan” out catching water. But if the tide is moving the boat at a certain speed and the drogue is moving in the same direction as the tide, what slows things down? 
Or am I being thick? (Most probably)

The boat swings in the wind as a pendulum, providing the wind is stronger than the tide, and sits downwind.  Here the boat faces the swell, usually big here, instead of being (dangerously) beam on.  The point is to get a slower, smoother and safer drift, and you lose less tackle if it's snaggy.  Funny enough it's the small, short swells that are the worst, beam on, in a small boat.  Big, lazy swells just lift you a long way up and down, but can be quite scary if you're not used to them.  Once last year we were above the tip of a charter boats aerial when he was in the trough and we were on the wave.  As Odyssey says, planing hulls can skitter in the wind, my mates task force takes a different attitude every drift, depending on wind force and direction.  I asked the question on here as I'm considering whether to make a drogue for the 10m task force, and wondered if the technique worked on the bigger boats.

I got the same issue out sharking. My bit is 30ft so close to 10m. It’s a fast planing hull with a large cabin so spins quite a lot. 

Swells are fine with long period. Last trip our sharking there was a nice 2m swell coming through. It was fine. Chop is nasty.... I’ve wondered about a drogue. I can’t see it not working. 

Ive found I sort out most issues by changing angle of outboards 🙂 

On 12/18/2020 at 5:26 PM, Andy135 said:

So the basket goes over the stern and acts like a second rudder to catch the tide?

Not quite, it’s like having a mooring where you are tied up bow and stern. Works best if wind is blowing side against tide. 

8 hours ago, Odyssey said:

Not quite, it’s like having a mooring where you are tied up bow and stern. Works best if wind is blowing side against tide. 

I sold the big para style I used to have as it was overkill for the boat I have. I do have a couple of basic drogues, one from an expired life raft. 

If I had a boat your size I would take a serious look at this particular make, they are smaller but far more effective than most. Most people don't realise how many other uses drogues can have, especially things like emergency steering and even to reduce boat rocking if you do have to sit side on to swell etc. 

If its good enough for a ginger beard🤘

On 12/18/2020 at 5:26 PM, Andy135 said:

So the basket goes over the stern and acts like a second rudder to catch the tide?

Not really a rudder although you can use your rudder to offset your boat when at anchor, this is more to keep her laying with the tide if you have a side wind

2 hours ago, Jed Stone said:

Not really a rudder although you can use your rudder to offset your boat when at anchor, this is more to keep her laying with the tide if you have a side wind

But how do you use it? Do you drop it to the bottom and it drags slowly. Or do you suspend it half way down?

39 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

But how do you use it? Do you drop it to the bottom and it drags slowly. Or do you suspend it half way down?

I have it attached to the transom on a rope about 3m long, the basket has a small float attached on the inside so the top is on the surface or just below and the basket catches the tide

1 minute ago, Saintly Fish said:

I’ve got an old life raft that is past it’s sell by date. If I can’t flog it I may break it open and see. 

through the flears ect, change the gase bottoll put the rest of it in a sail bag and stow it thats what i am going to do with mine

10 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

I’ve got an old life raft that is past it’s sell by date. If I can’t flog it I may break it open and see. 

The ones we used were part of a survivor at sea module on a recent training course. The rafts had what looks like a thermal silver heat bubble wrap in the floor which Ive found useful for a few things. Firstly I keep a section on my boat to use as a thermal blanket if I find anyone suffering from the cold. Ive also used it for extra insulation on 12 volt camping fridges and cooler boxes and bags. Even the survival kits are handy to keep on your boat.

With lockdown you could inflate it, fill it with water and carp so you can fish from home, even indoors!!!!

Edited by JDP

13 minutes ago, JDP said:

Its a very serious sport which I find very interesting.

Definitely worth closer inspection over an extended period of time - all in the name of research of course... 😉