Intact wreck or broken up?

Andy135

What do we reckon would be more productive from an angling perspective?

My instinct tells me an intact wreck would be a better habitat for reef loving fish (pollack, cod etc) and drifting would be a better tactic on these. A broken up wreck or one with a large debris field would in theory be good for conger or ling, and probably worth fishing at anchor.

Am I off the mark here? What do the Outlaws think?

On 12/24/2020 at 2:30 PM, Odyssey said:

Complete wreck. Conger can make themselves at home. 

However conger are the devils own fish. Need to be 40lb+ small ones are a nightmare 

Surely the wider the debris field the more potential habitats for bait fish and therefore more predators?

Just now, JonC said:

A well broken wreck just becomes rough ground if too well spread. An intact wreck forms a reef. 

Agreed. So the ideal wreck would be mostly intact with some debris scattered then?

Just now, Saintly Fish said:

Thought better of it then? Jon won’t be at the Camberwell.

Yeah, can't be digging him all the time, besides, he'll start dirty rumours about my 86 year old neighbour if I'm not careful.

I don't think it matters greatly about intact, partially broken, or completely broken. Most are chain dragged anyway to keep it as close to the sea bed as possible.

It is more about structure and the nature of the tides around that structure, and the amount and type of fauna growing on the structure ........... I fish some completely broken wrecks that are excellent, I fish some complete wrecks that are also excellent, but the opposite is also true.

However, Sub wrecks generally fish well, whether broken or not, I don't know why, but it is fact.................

10 hours ago, GPSguru said:

I don't think it matters greatly about intact, partially broken, or completely broken. Most are chain dragged anyway to keep it as close to the sea bed as possible.

It is more about structure and the nature of the tides around that structure, and the amount and type of fauna growing on the structure ........... I fish some completely broken wrecks that are excellent, I fish some complete wrecks that are also excellent, but the opposite is also true.

However, Sub wrecks generally fish well, whether broken or not, I don't know why, but it is fact.................

Subs are more interesting to look at. The fish study them to see how humans breath underwater. it’s where the phrase “school of fish” came from.

As with most school kids abs students they can be easily tempted by sweets abs goodies as we all know this is more interesting than learning.... hence why artificials work so well....

It’s because I use my phone and I have fat finger syndrome..

it’s remembered abs instead of and.... it now changes and to abs 🤣🤣🤣

Im also trying to make Pete feel more at home too 🙂 

12 hours ago, Odyssey said:

It’s because I use my phone and I have fat finger syndrome..

it’s remembered abs instead of and.... it now changes and to abs 🤣🤣🤣

Im also trying to make Pete feel more at home too 🙂 

dont blame me. im like a crab at home anywhere and happy to give a narsty nip