What dust mask?

suzook12

Ok guys, my boat refurb has ground to a halt somewhat as need a better dust mask, 1 day of grinding is resulting in a week of breathing issues (asthmatic and COPD), so something better required that is comfortable with glasses. Blamed it on other things to start with but soon became obvious that everytime I was grinding on the boat, these issues would occur....

Any suggestions? May have to consider an air fed mask, I am guessing that would require far more filtration?

Steve, check out arco. They do loads of different filters for half face masks. I use one for when ripping bathrooms to pieces. You can chop and change filters to suit the job. 

https://www.arco.co.uk/search/Personal-Protection-Respiratory-Protection-Filter-Respirators/_/N-8h0?No=72&Nrpp=36

53 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

Ok guys, my boat refurb has ground to a halt somewhat as need a better dust mask, 1 day of grinding is resulting in a week of breathing issues (asthmatic and COPD), so something better required that is comfortable with glasses. Blamed it on other things to start with but soon became obvious that everytime I was grinding on the boat, these issues would occur....

Any suggestions? May have to consider an air fed mask, I am guessing that would require far more filtration?

TBH Steve, with COPD you should NOT be doing any sanding ! 😧

Can't you find any child labour ? ............... My grandson (Kyle)  is helping me build a 60sqm raised deck, I pay him 5 rupees a day 🤣

4 hours ago, GPSguru said:

Can't you find any child labour ? ............... My grandson (Kyle)  is helping me build a 60sqm raised deck, I pay him 5 rupees a day 🤣

I can, but I don't want to bugger his lungs up, he has a future where he could be playing rink hockey for England.......

What mask are you currently using? I went through the face mask thing with our HS team at work.  When we replace DPF's in our trucks we have to use an air fed mask, absolute minimum is a P3 respirator type mask,  is it the dust or the fumes causing your issue? There are different filters for gasses and particulate I have seen some respirator types that allow a particulate and gas filter at the same time. 

They are now saying the particulate from DPF's is going to be the next Asbestos, nasty stuff

16 hours ago, Scotch_Egg2012 said:

What mask are you currently using? I went through the face mask thing with our HS team at work.  When we replace DPF's in our trucks we have to use an air fed mask, absolute minimum is a P3 respirator type mask,  is it the dust or the fumes causing your issue? There are different filters for gasses and particulate I have seen some respirator types that allow a particulate and gas filter at the same time. 

They are now saying the particulate from DPF's is going to be the next Asbestos, nasty stuff

P2's it would seem.... It's the dust mate. Side issue being it steams my glasses up, not ideal with cutting or grinding discs and fingers!!

2 hours ago, suzook12 said:

P2's it would seem.... It's the dust mate. Side issue being it steams my glasses up, not ideal with cutting or grinding discs and fingers!!

Air fed would bethe ultimate solution Arco do them made by a company called Sundstrom,  you wear the pump as a belt with the filters on it. 

1 minute ago, Scotch_Egg2012 said:

Air fed would bethe ultimate solution Arco do them made by a company called Sundstrom,  you wear the pump as a belt with the filters on it. 

We used to have a similar thing for welding, will look into it, cheers

It was going well until I got to the price of the respirator, £631+ the dreaded plus the hood itself and the dreaded, need to be sanding a lot of boats to justify a grand.... As this sort of kit has been around for many years, why do they make it so bleeding expensive......

16 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

It was going well until I got to the price of the respirator, £631+ the dreaded plus the hood itself and the dreaded, need to be sanding a lot of boats to justify a grand.... As this sort of kit has been around for many years, why do they make it so bleeding expensive......

Because it saves your life??

On 12/30/2020 at 1:34 PM, GPSguru said:

that much , you must be rich🤣

1 hour ago, Saintly Fish said:

Because it saves your life??

Thats not reason enough to make it expensive, the tech has been around for years, it's just profiteering pure and simple. It's no wonder people take chances with their health.....

9 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

Thats not reason enough to make it expensive, the tech has been around for years, it's just profiteering pure and simple. It's no wonder people take chances with their health.....

This kind of apparatus is mainly used for the professional worker? Ie a company with good h&s or a self employed person? Either way, to a company the cost is irrelevant. It’s all tax deductible so what you spend on great equipment just means you don’t have to give it over in tax instead. If you don’t buy it, you’ll spend the money with the chancellor instead.

16 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

This kind of apparatus is mainly used for the professional worker? Ie a company with good h&s or a self employed person? Either way, to a company the cost is irrelevant. It’s all tax deductible so what you spend on great equipment just means you don’t have to give it over in tax instead. If you don’t buy it, you’ll spend the money with the chancellor instead.

I bet they land in the UK from China sub £50 all in........ Only a heating engineer could justify a 1900% markup!! 🤣

10 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

Only a heating engineer could justify a 1900% markup!!

No not at all Steve. I’m just stressing the point that however you spend it, somebody will have your £600 off you. Be it the tax man or the PPE man. I know where I’d rather spend it. 

10 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

No not at all Steve. I’m just stressing the point that however you spend it, somebody will have your £600 off you. Be it the tax man or the PPE man. I know where I’d rather spend it. 

Well, having to be a business to justify the expense doesn't help the DIYer who can also need adequate protection. And this cost also gets passed down to the customer. Yes, in a moderate sized business and upwards I get your point, but for the smaller companies, equipping every employee with  several grands worth of kit isn't always feasible...

11 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

Well, having to be a business to justify the expense doesn't help the DIYer who can also need adequate protection. And this cost also gets passed down to the customer. Yes, in a moderate sized business and upwards I get your point, but for the smaller companies, equipping every employee with  several grands worth of kit isn't always feasible...

If a small company that operates and requires that level of protection doesn’t have it Steve then they will soon be closing down. So it is feasible if they want to continue trading because it’s a case of have to have !!

2 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

If a small company that operates and requires that level of protection doesn’t have it Steve then they will soon be closing down. So it is feasible if they want to continue trading because it’s a case of have to have !!

Have it your way Neil, you dont seem to grasp that you can't charge a customer £1200 for a £200 job just because you need a £1000 dust mask that you may never need again! Or a small business that kits out say 5 employees for a job at £2k a piece then never get paid, and believe me it happens.... A lot!!

The cost is no way justifiable for what you receive, £2-300 yeah, fair enough but a grand plus, and then you have to keep replacing filters on top of that......

5 minutes ago, Scotch_Egg2012 said:

I was just looking at that, reckon I will be going for that one

7 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

Have it your way Neil, you dont seem to grasp that you can't charge a customer £1200 for a £200 job just because you need a £1000 dust mask that you may never need again! Or a small business that kits out say 5 employees for a job at £2k a piece then never get paid, and believe me it happens.... A lot!!

The cost is no way justifiable for what you receive, £2-300 yeah, fair enough but a grand plus, and then you have to keep replacing filters on top of that......

A grand plus? It was £600 at the start! 

2 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

A grand plus? It was £600 at the start! 

Re-read it, 600 odd plus the dreaded for the respirator, then 180 summat plus the dreaded for the mask itself, throw in a set of filters and hey presto....

Edited by suzook12

5 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

Re-read it, 600 odd plus the dreaded for the respirator, then 180 summat plus the dreaded for the mask itself, throw in a set of filters and hey presto....

Yeah well, I’m my world I never count vat. Sorry Steve it’s just the way I is. Vat is reclaimable on goods.