Expansion bottle

3 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

But as he said earlier his engine room floor is dry... If his expansion cap is going from max to min each time then that volume of fluid should be turning up somewhere if it's leaking?

Don't forget it'll likely only be leaking under pressure (engine running) the turbo will be very hot if it's weeping on a run and if it's leaking round the turbo area it will dry off very quickly leaving just crystallisation. I've seen it many a time on engines no visible wetness just a lot of crystallisation

If there was much of a leak the system wouldn't really hold pressure. Lower pressure would mean a lower boiling temperature and your leak may be steam rather than water, should be traces of antifreeze where it leaks from though. Other thought is if a significant leak then would it not draw air in the leak rather than fluid in from the tank?

30 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

You got one of them odd Japanese ones, similar to my Nissan terrano, no cap at all on that.....

Sounds like you are displacing air from the system bud after the turbo and cooler were done.....

You reckon it’ll settle down Steve?

28 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

You reckon it’ll settle down Steve?

Would be better if you could find any bleed points, but would certainly give it another 2 or 3 trips out. If you can access any disturbed joints in the system, even if with a mirror and torch, just to make sure. Sometimes running for a little while with the cap off can help shift air, but you need to make sure the cap is the highest point in the system. If it doesn't settle, then you may need to get a tester to put on to try and find any issues. I certainly wouldn't panic jest yet tho....

So I checked the level of the coolant in the bottle before we set off today and it was on max, just where I left it after the last trip. 
I checked it again after our trip and it was still on max. So, looks like any air has been expelled. But, I did find a small leak, nothing major and seeing as the boats getting lifted Tuesday I’m not worried for now. 

A72268F2-3219-4D5A-A10C-467C5F648624.jpeg.379381b6235ee655e007e06bf55284ab.jpeg

2 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

So I checked the level of the coolant in the bottle before we set off today and it was on max, just where I left it after the last trip. 
I checked it again after our trip and it was still on max. So, looks like any air has been expelled. But, I did find a small leak, nothing major and seeing as the boats getting lifted Tuesday I’m not worried for now. 

A72268F2-3219-4D5A-A10C-467C5F648624.jpeg.379381b6235ee655e007e06bf55284ab.jpeg

Is that an engine anode ? 

My low water level alarm went off today, I was about a litre down. I confess to not checking last couple of trips out though. My engine isn’t very clean so not so easy to spot residue as yours. 

28 minutes ago, JonC said:

Yeah that’s what I meant, that will be raw water side do that’s not your leak 

I did wonder that, but when crystals were mentioned, I suppose salt deposit does the same. Then I don’t have an external leak, or any leak I reckon. 

1 minute ago, Saintly Fish said:

I did wonder that, but when crystals were mentioned, I suppose salt deposit does the same. Then I don’t have an external leak, or any leak I reckon. 

Hopefully no leak anywhere. 

1 hour ago, Saintly Fish said:

This is a good example of what it looks like, this one is pink as that is the colour of the coolant mix

IMG_9291resized.jpg

13 hours ago, Scotch_Egg2012 said:

This is a good example of what it looks like, this one is pink as that is the colour of the coolant mix

IMG_9291resized.jpg

My old Jeep used to look like that around the thermostat housing, never leaked enough to justify removing it and sorting, needed topping up once a month maybe