Coax

So my radome is on order and I’ve got a cheap £0 strut for it. But to fit it I need to move my vhf Ariel, otherwise the radome will be off centre. 
Now this will mean I’d need to unthread the cable all the way back from the radio, or cut the cable and re join it. What’s preferable? I’m guessing the re run the whole cable, but any one for another idea? 

2 minutes ago, Maverick said:

If it were me I would prefer new coax all the way with no joins.  The radio may be needed one day to save your life, less joins less chance of issues later

Well yes I agree with you on the no join situation. I just wondered if there was a reliable joint connection. Obviously not. It’s a pain though because I only have to move the aerial about 40cm to the left. 

2 minutes ago, Maverick said:

If you do have a joint make sure it's inside the boat but that would mean 2 joints to extend the length, double trouble

Length isn’t a problem, there is loads of spare inside the boat. But because the cable goes through a top side grommet i need to pull it all back through, then move the grommet and vhf bracket, then feed all the way back through. 

Yes, you can join it as long as it is inside the cabin roof. The most streamlined joint will be a male / female BNC ............ using PL259 male/female will create a heavy bulky joint.

The joint should be wrapped with self amalgamating tape and further wrapped with PVC tape to protect the rubber tape.

BNC plugs are not the easiest to fit for the less experienced !

Personally, I would see if there is enough slack in the existing cable run to move the antenna ............ if not then I wouls probably run a new cable.

14 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Length isn’t a problem, there is loads of spare inside the boat. But because the cable goes through a top side grommet i need to pull it all back through, then move the grommet and vhf bracket, then feed all the way back through. 

Ah, ok .......... yes, that is what you need to do, but also fit a new roof gland for the cable ............. I assume you can use the old roof gland position for the strut mounting etc .... I know it is a PITA but it will be the best job .............

Edited by GPSguru

4 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

More time spent squashed in the engine bay, and I’m not any slimmer than the last time. 

to many mince pies ect, you will nead a shoe horn, to get out. ha ha ginger will be in fits of larfter.perhaps you could get your boy to take a video for ginge

never minde i am shore you will manage it ok , my thoughts are with you

25 minutes ago, captin slows old outlaw said:

to many mince pies ect, you will nead a shoe horn, to get out. ha ha ginger will be in fits of larfter.perhaps you could get your boy to take a video for ginge

never minde i am shore you will manage it ok , my thoughts are with you

You know me too well Pete 🤣