Dual Helm Conversion

Hi all,

Currently scoping out the cost/effort to convert my boat to dual helm.

Engine is fly by wire, so I would need a new harness to connect controls to main station, along with second station controls and selector switch. That bit doesn’t look too difficult to do as it’s it looks plug and play....

I also have hydraulic steering, so in theory, I can add a second wheel to the system as well....

Anyone done this or who has any advice on how to fit/pitfalls etc? 

It’s worth noting the boat used to be a dual helm, I’m hoping that breaksea still have the moulds for the mounting box. If they do it may not be too much work to rig it up....

Well I’d say breaksea would be your best bet for all the info you need. Somebody may know how to do it on another boat but the builders are the only ones who will know the best way to do yours. 
but you've probably thought of that already. 

The hydraulics required are on the face of it surprisingly straightforward. Hoses and T pieces from the second helm into the existing lines, and in some cases a balance line (depending on your existing helm unit - mine don't have one). However, for most hydraulic lines "simply adding a T piece" isn't that straightforward. It's not like cutting and adding a T piece on a fuel line. New lines will probably need to be made up with new swage joints at the correct point to add in a T piece. Then there's the question of access to run the new lines behind panels etc. It would be a pretty big effort, and possibly cost if you're paying for labour.

No need for line locks, the helm units have inbuilt valves to stop over pressure and to stop the other helm from turning when one is in use.

The other big issue will be the cost/availability of the second station mouldings and the cost of the fly by wire kit (harness, station selector and throttle lever).

1 hour ago, suzook12 said:

Would you need some sort of line lock to stop one wheel turning the other. Would you need to key on at a helm position normally for it to work? Or would both be live at the same time?

Mine has no line lock (valves in the helm units take care of that). Single ignition key in the cabin, selector switches at each station ensure that only one throttle lever is active at any time to avoid accidental throttle up at the station not in use.

2 hours ago, Odyssey said:

It’s worth noting the boat used to be a dual helm, I’m hoping that breaksea still have the moulds for the mounting box. If they do it may not be too much work to rig it up....

Do you mean the boat model used to be dual helm, or your actual boat?

If the latter you may be lucky and find that whoever removed the second station may have simply blanked off the existing T pieces rather than using new single station lines. Could make your re-conversion much quicker and simpler to unblank them fit new second station lines if so.

Would also be curious to know why they removed the second station in the first place.

I’m not sure if new hoses were fitted as part of the conversion from leg to outboard... that’s when dual helm removed. 

pics show as it was before 

Thats when was running 2 legs on the back 

E6E2D7CE-F4D9-4EEA-B88A-6C806D33D9F4.jpeg

Edited by Odyssey

8 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

I’m not sure if new hoses were fitted as part of the conversion from leg to outboard... that’s when dual helm removed. 

pics show as it was before 

Thats when was running 2 legs on the back 

E6E2D7CE-F4D9-4EEA-B88A-6C806D33D9F4.jpeg

Ok, so it's your actual boat we're talking about. In which case I'd hazard a guess that the T- pieces will still be there but blanked off.

Is there an inspection hatch near where the second helm was that you could open up to see if you can see the hoses and any T pieces? Mine is in the cabin side wall just before the rear cabin wall, and the hoses that supply the second station run through the rear cabin wall to the second helm unit. Yours could be routed the same.

5 hours ago, captin slows old outlaw said:

andy has a dueal sreering arsk him

he has dueal every thing eavan boats

What, only two boats - poor old Andy - mind you he has an advantage over me in that his are finished!!! Geoff.

I’ll have a rummage when I’m down next. 

problem will be building and integrating a housing to hold controls etc. Not sure how much it would all cost....

• 4 weeks later...

Can’t get anyone to look at the glasswork so currently it’s on hold. 

The hydraulic steering I can do electrics is plug and play so simple.... Not that I can get to boat mind!