Very lucky escape

Andy135

Rag and stick with engine and electrical failure drifts for 3 days before being found at random by border cutter.

Hope he bought a lottery ticket at Dover...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-55611277

1 hour ago, Andy135 said:

Rag and stick with engine and electrical failure drifts for 3 days before being found at random by border cutter.

Hope he bought a lottery ticket at Dover...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-55611277

However, it has not been calm for 3 complete days, and  I would question why he didn't use a compass to get him back to the shore line .......... pretty poor sailor I would say, but it sort of typifies quite a lot of the rag and stick brigade ............

Good of the Border Force to tow him in ............ I wonder how many immigrants he had hidden in there 🤣

1 hour ago, Scotch_Egg2012 said:

That's why you have a backup handheld radio, PLB etc

Exactly. This is the sort of incident that handheld VHF and PLB are perfect for. I clip mine onto my lifejacket so they're always with me. No good to me in a locker if I go MOB.

5 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Exactly. This is the sort of incident that handheld VHF and PLB are perfect for. I clip mine onto my lifejacket so they're always with me. No good to me in a locker if I go MOB.

I keep my handheld in a grab bag just inside my wheelhouse door and the PLB attached to me. 

Not sure if anyone is aware but the Rnli offer a free service where they will come to your boat and give advice on what safety items to carry and also talk you through certain situations you may not have thought about.  I had them out 2yrs ago took them about 3/4 hour but was worth it's weight in gold

Edited by Scotch_Egg2012

Garmin inreach mini is a handy peace of kit, unlike Epirb's or Plb's these can be used for far longer on a charge and also make two-way communication. I even get my kids to take it in remote wilderness areas when out hunting etc. When I get a message sent from it, it goes to several family members phones giving the exact gps location, time of day, heading and speed etc. Runs off the satellite phone network and can even be used for getting detailed weather for the location its at. They can also be used as simply a handheld gps or if you go to the 66i model you can install detailed charts or land maps etc.