My Colvic 20

mike farrants

4 minutes ago, Hooked1980 said:

@mike farrants force 4 chandlery do a selection

As for what end to fit I’d say the chain to rope end but it’s down to your own preference/trial and error just to see if it stops the twisting 

3A2BAEA7-4D43-4FCE-A2C4-524D1AD60372.jpeg

3D6DF374-DC02-427C-A1EC-ECC04C71FA3C.jpeg

What am I missing here? Why are swivel connections being recommended, I’ve never had a swivel connection on an anchor and chain, and I’ve never had a trouble with twisting chain. I believe that what @Andy135 said is correct, you just suffered a one in a million tangle, I’d say lower the anchor in a more controlled way should prevent the problem. 

7 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

What am I missing here? Why are swivel connections being recommended, I’ve never had a swivel connection on an anchor and chain, and I’ve never had a trouble with twisting chain. I believe that what @Andy135 said is correct, you just suffered a one in a million tangle, I’d say lower the anchor in a more controlled way should prevent the problem. 

@Saintly Fish as I said preference some people use them some don’t !?

Your boat your choice

1 minute ago, MegaByte said:

I've spliced my rope to the chain, goes through the Alderney ring easier

My current 5kg Bruce is exactly the same and don’t suffer any twisting, but I’ve had others that did have swivels fitted weather it made any difference I suppose is down to what you believe 

I wasn’t suggesting that @mike farrantshad to fit a swivel was just a possible option to try if he continued to suffer twisting

I think the swivels are good for picnic anchors that come up via the windlass as the swivel helps the anchor to come in the right way up.  When fishing though most people trip their anchors, you cannot do this when you use a swivel fixed to the stock of the anchor.  To trip an anchor you need the chain fixed to the bottom of the anchor which makes a swivel useless.  If you are confident that you will always anchor in sand or mud with no chance of fouling nets, pots or rocks and suchlike then use the swivel.  If however you fix at the bottom and use cable ties then save the cost of the swivel.

thanks for the input! 

I agree it is most likely a one off fluke - but I think for peace of mind and to provide a connection thats more streamlined through the alderney ring than a D Shackle I will invest in a swivel, its more for peace of mind in case the danforth was spinning in the tide as I hauled it up!

i'll attach it between the chain and rope as I still wish to trip the anchor if needed. 

it cant hurt to add one surely!

Edited by mike farrants

15 minutes ago, mike farrants said:

thanks for the input! 

I agree it is most likely a one off fluke - but I think for peace of mind and to provide a connection thats more streamlined through the alderney ring than a D Shackle I will invest in a swivel, its more for peace of mind in case the danforth was spinning in the tide as I hauled it up!

i'll attach it between the chain and rope as I still wish to trip the anchor if needed. 

it cant hurt to add one surely!

May I suggest Mike that you re read Mavericks post above with regards to a swivel and tripping an anchor. If you rig the anchor to trip then a swivel is useless. 

3 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

May I suggest Mike that you re read Mavericks post above with regards to a swivel and tripping an anchor. If you rig the anchor to trip then a swivel is useless. 

even if its at the top end of the chain?

What about if the swivel was just upline from the cable ties - it would work as a swivel then and yet not interfere with tripping.

@mike farrants, I would definitely avoid using a D shackle to connect rope to chain. Splicing is usually the done thing for this.

6 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

You're smarter than you look!

This is clearly true....

Back on the subject of swivels though, I don't know anyone who uses a swivel for their anchor. I wonder if it would be worthwhile for Mike to wait until he's able to go out again so he can drop & retrieve the anchor a few times to see if it still tangles. If no tangles then there's nothing to fix and we can all chalk it up to that one in a million occurrence...?

Get someone to do a chain to anchor rope splice for you, most chandlers will do this for a small fee especially if your an existing customer.  Failing that you tube is your friend, I do my own splices, they are not perfect but I have never had one fail and they don't snag on the alderney ring