My Colvic 20

mike farrants

First time boat owner - (so go easy), but long time shore fisherman

Picked up Pugwash in December - and I'm slowly gathering all the gear and knowledge. 

still to get: anchor rope, alderney ring and buoy, flare pack, need my life jackets serviced, and need to do my RYA PB2 and VHF courses.

based in Weymouth - cant wait to get out there!

Colvic-20.jpg

Colvic-20-_57 (1).jpg

Colvic-20-_57 (2).jpg

Colvic-20-_57 (4).jpg

Colvic-20-_57 (5).jpg

Colvic-20-_57 (6).jpg

Colvic-20-_57.jpg

Edited by mike farrants

Lots to like there. Good purchase 👍

What engine does she have?

@suzook12 is a fan of Colvic's if I remember correctly.

What are your plans for her fishing wise? You've got the Shambles on your doorstep and you're not far from some decent wrecks either.

Hi Mike, lovely boat that can take a bit of sea when these others may be running for home. Considered on myself. Doesn't sound like you're very far off of getting out there.

Could be worth getting an experienced skipper to go out with you first few times, then buddying up with another boat for a few....

Steve

thanks everyone - 

she has a BUKH DV20 -  so will happily potter along. 

I've heard nothing but good things about these and the previous owner is just down the pontoon from me with his new boat - he's already been extremely helpful and offered to help out/advise on pugwash and take me out on his new boat! he left all his marks in the fish finder/plotter so will start with those!

to start with im thinking mackerel bashing, plaice, whiting, bream, rays, etc in the bay, try the ledges at ringstead, and lulworth, portland harbour/breakwater working up to the adamant shoal, and see how i go - the shambles wont be tackled until i'm more competent - with strong tides and a displacement speeds i want to be confident before hitting that! 

its not just a fishing boat either - I plan to do a few day trips with friends and family to lulworth cove, round the cruise ships, etc swimming and snorkeling, that kind of thing! 

14 minutes ago, mike farrants said:

thanks everyone - 

I've heard nothing but good things about these and the previous owner is just down the pontoon from me with his new boat - he's already been extremely helpful and offered to help out/advise on pugwash and take me out on his new boat! he left all his marks in the fish finder/plotter so will start with those!

to start with im thinking mackerel bashing, plaice, whiting, bream, rays, etc in the bay, try the ledges at ringstead, and lulworth, portland harbour/breakwater working up to the adamant shoal, and see how i go - the shambles wont be tackled until i'm more competent - with strong tides and a displacement speeds i want to be confident before hitting that! 

its not just a fishing boat either - I plan to do a few day trips with friends and family to lulworth cove, round the cruise ships, etc swimming and snorkeling, that kind of thing! 

@Maverick and @MegaByte should be able to help you out with tips. They’re both from Poole, so not a million miles from you. 

1 hour ago, mike farrants said:

thanks everyone - 

You've certainly got plenty of options for marks and some lovely coastline in that part of the world. Must admit I'm slightly envious!

32 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

You've certainly got plenty of options for marks and some lovely coastline in that part of the world. Must admit I'm slightly envious!

best bit is - I live 2 mins from the boat - so will be out in the evenings and weekends! - cant wait to get up to speed as soon as I can do my PB2 course..... 

@mike farrantsif you speak to @Maverick or @MegaBytethey can get you signed up as a member of Poole bay small boat angling club. They have a water skills training school associated to them that give member discounts. Might save you a quid or two!!

I like this boat. I had a Colvic seaworker 21 a few years ago, very safe boat. She rolled with the swell a lovely, very little slap from the deep displacement hull and sat good at anchor. 
I used to tap the fuel gauge to see if it had got stuck it used so little fuel. 

2 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

@mike farrantsif you speak to @Maverick or @MegaBytethey can get you signed up as a member of Poole bay small boat angling club. They have a water skills training school associated to them that give member discounts. Might save you a quid or two!!

Hi Mike

If you're interested drop me an email and I'll send you some info on Poole Bay Small Boat Angling Club.

Regards

Brian

brunyard@hotmail.com

What a handsome boat, and she should be very economical to run! It's good that you have a relationship with the previous owner and are taking the time to do things properly. Having fished the Shambles in a charter boat and a private boat and experienced the formidable tides and rips, I think you are very wise to steer clear until you have more experience. Local anglers who have fished the area for years seem to use the 'buddy boat' system so they can help each other out in case of a problem or to find the fish. I also live very close to my boat, and it's a great advantage knowing what the local weather actually is rather than what the forecasters say it should be. Weymouth has a lot of fishing options in all but the worst weather. Unlike you, I am on a drying trot mooring, so am a bit more restricted by tides - although it's only £200 a year! I'm sure a lot of people will envy your boat and situation and you will have no problem finding a crew if you want one. Happy boating and fishing! PH

• 3 weeks later...

I have now ordered rope for my anchor, Alderney ring and buoy, coastal flare pack - and had my lifejackets tested/inspected.
got all the rods/reels/tackle.

just a few bits left to get like spare fuel can, first aid kit, tools, tuff tubs, buckets and of course the tea and bacon sarnie making gear!