The must have's and must not Thread

Tadpole

14 hours ago, JDP said:

I moved over to 13 strand and totally love the stuff, now on six of my reels and the others mostly with Shimano ocea, which is also very good braid in my opinion. Been using the suffix 131 for about 12 months where most braids would of been swapped over several times by now ( I fish several times per week and push the line to its limits ). Had J braid in the past but found it soon lost colour and strength. I do tend to use lighter class lines closer to their rating strength rather than buy 50lb braid and only ever use light dag settings.

IMG_2924.thumb.JPG.52f7da80e1bbfda3c3fc1bb91cbf9e58.JPG

Cracking post.

I hear lots of good things about Sufix lines and have a few different lines to choose from, do you cast anything lighter than 30g or is this purely boating work?

Agree with what your saying regarding colour loss with J braid, gone from a dark green to a much lighter tone when dry.

Said before about braid and abrasion resistance being generally plop.. well, while watching Elias on utube this morning, he makes reference to structure Spiderwire braid .. always hated the older stuff but this newer line might be worth a look as will the Sufix stuff, might give me an edge when trying to bully the beasts that keep snapping me up.

11 hours ago, Tadpole said:

Cracking post.

I hear lots of good things about Sufix lines and have a few different lines to choose from, do you cast anything lighter than 30g or is this purely boating work?

Agree with what your saying regarding colour loss with J braid, gone from a dark green to a much lighter tone when dry.

Said before about braid and abrasion resistance being generally plop.. well, while watching Elias on utube this morning, he makes reference to structure Spiderwire braid .. always hated the older stuff but this newer line might be worth a look as will the Sufix stuff, might give me an edge when trying to bully the beasts that keep snapping me up.

I'm using 20-30lb in the 131, not just the boat but particularly from the shore because of how well it casts. In saying that we are mostly flicking lures 30g or heavier, so can't comment on the very light lures. I should get a spool of 10lb or lower to see how it casts very light lures but getting any of this braid can be difficult as it's so popular and sells out fast even though it's around 3x more expensive than some braids. 

My daughter uses both suffix and sunline bellow 10lb casting unweighted softplastics which are about 1 1/2 inch long as well as hardbodies bellow 5g. She's away hunting due to bad weather pushing her off the water, not sure when she will return ( as soon as she gets a deer ) but I will find out more about the light braids when she does. She's already into her third day in remote wildernesses locations tottaly off grid.

Edited by JDP

9 hours ago, JDP said:

I'm using 20-30lb in the 131, not just the boat but particularly from the shore because of how well it casts. In saying that we are mostly flicking lures 30g or heavier, so can't comment on the very light lures. I should get a spool of 10lb or lower to see how it casts very light lures but getting any of this braid can be difficult as it's so popular and sells out fast even though it's around 3x more expensive than some braids. 

My daughter uses both suffix and sunline bellow 10lb casting unweighted softplastics which are about 1 1/2 inch long as well as hardbodies bellow 5g. She's away hunting due to bad weather pushing her off the water, not sure when she will return ( as soon as she gets a deer ) but I will find out more about the light braids when she does. She's already into her third day in remote wildernesses locations tottaly off grid.

Will be interested to hear about the lighter lines. 

My experience with J braid is that the lighter the line got the less reliable I found the FG knot (my preferred knot) to be. My first serious dip into the luring side I went 13lb but not only was it an arse to knot which failed a number of times, its shite abrasion qualities were greatly highlighted.

Anyone got any Fluro recommendations?? I use Berkeley which is ok, picked up a spool from Decathlon that I've not used yet but I fear it may hold memory which isn't ideal.

23 hours ago, Andy135 said:

I use Berkeley fluoro in 15lb for lure leaders and also leaders on lures on the boat. Seems fine for blanking. 👍

🤣🤣 Just as long as it doesn't catch Dogfish tis all good!! Is it the Trilene you use?

13 hours ago, Bones said:

This has been good gear for me. Tough as woodpecker lips

20201025_185303.jpg

I'll have to pitch a length of you and give it a go! 🤗

2 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

@Tadpole, yes the Trilene stuff. It's a dogfish magnet I tell you...

Same stuff I've got, was the only Fluoro the shop had!! Found that it also holds memory, wondered if any of the happy Jappy stuff is any better? They do appear to be pioneers in luring. 

On 10/26/2020 at 9:33 AM, Andy135 said:

I've not found it has memory... you could also try the Savage Gear fluoro made for lure leaders. That's quite good, and supple.

Tronixpro 'Blackout' is good stuff, cheaper than the leading brands, but has all the right qualities ........... memory free, knots well, and seems to be quite abrasion resistant. We have been using it as leaders on the wrecks .................

• 2 weeks later...

You don't need to spend a fortune on spinning reels. I use a Quantum Drive 30, £29.99 from BobCo in Leeds. Smooth as silk, very light, loads of bearings, decent drag, perfect line lay, no wind knots (with 1.0 Sunline Siglon 8-strand). If you used it without knowing what it was, you'd swear it was a high-end Shimano or Daiwa. It's even better (and cheaper) than the Quantum Throttle it replaces. At that price, you could use it for a season and throw it away, or buy another one and keep it for spares, but I just don't seem to be able to wear mine out...

3 minutes ago, Plaicehunter said:

You don't need to spend a fortune on spinning reels. I use a Quantum Drive 30, £29.99 from BobCo in Leeds. Smooth as silk, very light, loads of bearings, decent drag, perfect line lay, no wind knots (with 1.0 Sunline Siglon 8-strand). If you used it without knowing what it was, you'd swear it was a high-end Shimano or Daiwa. It's even better (and cheaper) than the Quantum Throttle it replaces. At that price, you could use it for a season and throw it away, or buy another one and keep it for spares, but I just don't seem to be able to wear mine out...

Welcome on to the site.

On 10/14/2020 at 8:39 PM, Tadpole said:

An idea to get the ball rolling..

As with all aspects of fishing we all come across tackle we can't live without yet at the same time things we fish we should never have bothered with.

About as subjective as it gets, remember there are no right or wrongs in this. 🤪

Things I can't do without are my selection of surface lures, name the Patchinko 125 @ 100 in 500g.

The blank saver that is the Fiiish Black Minnow, no3 tail.. the weighted head depends on location.

Things I wish I never bothered with.. anything HTO, Yo-Zuri and Sidewinder are all in my opinion worse than pants.

Wouldn't be without my two HTO Nebulas - and a Patchinko 125. PH

16 minutes ago, JDP said:

A wide brimmed hat is a necessity over here even if you do have hair, apart from that can't think of to much.

Does it have to have corks? 
I’ve got a couple of floppy hats I wear, I know I look a Cnut but they stop my ears burning in the summer. 
I’ve got a nice England cricket hat I wear sometimes that you would like. So much better than the baggy green ones. 

1 hour ago, JonC said:

Does it have to have corks? 
I’ve got a couple of floppy hats I wear, I know I look a Cnut but they stop my ears burning in the summer. 
I’ve got a nice England cricket hat I wear sometimes that you would like. So much better than the baggy green ones. 

No corks, I like the taste of fly's. We actually don't have the fly problem in this area, seems to be a big issue further north where it gets much hotter. We do have several species of tick that are a pain locally though, with the paralysis tick being the worse, one of which got me a few days ago while out exploring a freshwater creek. I now have a red balloon leg!!!

Back on track with the haves and not have, I must admit not having electricity and internet over several weeks of the bush fires was exceptionally nice. Shops had nothing due to no transport getting through and empty backup power generators. It was good seeing a small town pull together to help each other out, many of which lost homes and friends.

It was kind of like the beginning of a zombie movie but different in a way we have food swimming in the lake in front of our house. I also had enough fuel to cover at least 30 trips out to the kingfish ground giving us a healthy supply of fish to share among the community. You've had a little taste of this sort of thing when people panic bought food from shops over Covid, which can soon turn pear shaped in densely populated areas. If that supply was to stop totally :classic_ohmy: