Any new plans of attack for 2021 ?

Davemc

Nothing massively different from last year. Got a horrible feeling that Portsmouth will be rammed with lure fisherman this year so been on the scout for new marks. Lure wise, the SG gravity sticks were really good for me at the very end of the season so they will be getting thrashed. Also gone for something a bit different with a berkley choppo. Look it up...dont laugh

Same techniques different marks Dave. I'd like to get out to the Overfalls and the French Bank this year (a bit far to paddle on a yak, TBF) and go for a big girl on a big lure - those 6oz heads with big bodies that I made up last year.

I also need to get back to the shore for bass too. Still want to give those ned-rigged lures a proper work-out somewhere. So many options, so little time!

54 minutes ago, Bones said:

Also gone for something a bit different with a berkley choppo. Look it up...dont laugh

Looks like it has a rotating tail section? Reminds me a bit of a devon minnow. Could be good in murky water where the vibrations will give the bass something to home in on.

6 minutes ago, Bones said:

That's what I was thinking. The propeller at the back makes lots of fuss. It will hopefully be my go to big surface lure because it's just a straight retrieve. Nice and easy 

Keep me posted on your progress with it. I bet it would work well in a noisy harbour mouth environment where lots of boat traffic would drown out a quieter lure.

58 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Keep me posted on your progress with it. I bet it would work well in a noisy harbour mouth environment where lots of boat traffic would drown out a quieter lure.

What is needed here is a bod who has access to block house 🤔

Instead of obsessing about surface lures, I am going to fish with a range of diving lures this year when the bass won't come up. When the tide is running fast, I'm going to try Flying C's and use bombardas and Red Gill Rascals more. Last year I spent much of my time hunting gilts and didn't really go hard for the bass till autumn. This year I'll mix it up a bit. Target for this year: a 10-pounder of each species! PH

On 01/02/2021 at 9:41 AM, Bones said:

Nothing massively different from last year. Got a horrible feeling that Portsmouth will be rammed with lure fisherman this year so been on the scout for new marks. Lure wise, the SG gravity sticks were really good for me at the very end of the season so they will be getting thrashed. Also gone for something a bit different with a berkley choppo. Look it up...dont laugh

I must admit I saw alot of new faces around there last year and a few times I would arrive after a long drive and someone would be in "my" spot ..

I'll be heading slightly more eastwards to escape the newbies this season  but I fear the info being given out by the local shops will fill the whole area soon.

On 01/02/2021 at 9:41 AM, Bones said:

Screenshot_20210205-142749~2.png

On 1/31/2021 at 11:58 PM, Davemc said:

I don't know about you guys but my brains working overtime during lockdown for the new season.

I've got a few bits and bobs on order albeit scaled down from the way the yanks fish for stripers .

Anyone else planning any new tricks to tempt the bass ?

The longer this lockdown continues and the more I miss fishing I think the biggest thing I'll change is to just get out more and make the very most of my fishing opportunities while we can in case we hit Lockdown 4! 😬🎣🎣