Why do people follow football?

Andy135

I have very little interest in top flight football, the club’s are just companies and most of the fans have no connection to the club other than jumping on a winning bandwagon. Here in Essex we have Southend, Colchester and Dagenham and Redbridge that people can follow and watch in person for £15 or so. Southend who we support lay on coaches to matches at cost so a day out at an away is still well under £50, half the price of a premier ticket. 
But people only want to follow winning teams I guess, which is sad. 
I really can’t see the point in following a team that you can’t go and watch. 

56 minutes ago, mike farrants said:

yeah put the two together and you got me!

the next best thing I got is Tim Flowers signature on a saints ball (with the rest of the team at the time)

My lad got Dusan Tadic’s shirt when we went to the Hawthorns and knocked West Brom out of the cup

1ABE12D7-DC96-4772-BF14-9FD1FF703677.jpeg.c24120a7f361f47acfa7658e8408869d.jpeg

13 hours ago, JonC said:

I have very little interest in top flight football, the club’s are just companies and most of the fans have no connection to the club other than jumping on a winning bandwagon. Here in Essex we have Southend, Colchester and Dagenham and Redbridge that people can follow and watch in person for £15 or so. Southend who we support lay on coaches to matches at cost so a day out at an away is still well under £50, half the price of a premier ticket. 
But people only want to follow winning teams I guess, which is sad. 
I really can’t see the point in following a team that you can’t go and watch. 

exactly why I got into following Wycombe Wanderers - it was extremely accessible - they were league 2 at the time and it was £10 a ticket (standing) and there were lots of away games within an Hour or two drive - would have watched Southend and Colchester, at Adams park! 

4 hours ago, mike farrants said:

exactly why I got into following Wycombe Wanderers - it was extremely accessible - they were league 2 at the time and it was £10 a ticket (standing) and there were lots of away games within an Hour or two drive - would have watched Southend and Colchester, at Adams park! 

You would have been guaranteed 3 points if you played Southend. Terrible at the moment. Everyone is banking on relegations being avoided by the lower leagues scrapping the season. 

Admit to being with Andy135 on football. Mystifies me what all the fuss is about.

Can't see how the "local" thing works when it appears to me, that the top teams are owned by people not from the area and the players are not from the area. The only thing local is the name.

Understand that attending a game means you get the atmosphere, we, in non lockdown times, enjoy going to see bands live and the atmosphere is electric.

Was lucky to be taken to some Olympic events back in 2012, including the ladies football final and the ladies beach volleyball semi finals. The football was fairly entertaining, especially the Americans cheering on their team and everyone else cheering on the Japanese. But the beach volleyball was something else, to quote Boris, "semi-naked women playing beach volleyball glistening like wet otters"  😍 What's not to love! (sorry ladies)