Why do people follow football?

Andy135

I've never been a football fan and I barely even get excited about the World Cup, so I've always looked on with a sense of benevolent bemusement when others get emotionally invested in following football teams; the highs and the lows, the beery passion of an afternoon sat in front of the telly, or in the stands (seats) supporting their team, the not insignificant expense of this season's replica kits, season tickets, travel to the away games etc.

Can anyone help me understand why they bother with all this, especially when they could go dangling for dogfish instead??

#flummoxedaboutfootball

@Andy135 you being a middle class lad from leafy Berkshire it’s not surprising you don’t get it 😇.
Football is more than football. It’s not just about the replica shirts or the over priced season tickets or even the extra dosh to travel to away games. It’s about camaraderie, tribalism and representing where your from. There are moments in football that unless your there and are into the scene, people just will not understand. Feelings or overwhelming elation or like last night depression and sorrow. But it’s an experience you share with your mates. All 32’000 of them when at a home game. 
fishing is great. It’s a love and a passion. But there is more to be experienced in life, more powerful emotions. The only trouble with football is the fucking idiots that think they are some kind of mafia. Those who represent in the totally wrong way. But they are in general a minority. 
You will probably read this and say, what a soft head... and that’s ok. It’s ok, because you don’t get it! 

16 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

and representing where your from. 

So why do many fans support teams they have no geographical connection to? Reckon there must be way more Man U fans than the population of Manchester...

13 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

@Andy135 you being a middle class lad from leafy Berkshire it’s not surprising you don’t get it 😇.
Football is more than football. It’s not just about the replica shirts or the over priced season tickets or even the extra dosh to travel to away games. It’s about camaraderie, tribalism and representing where your from. There are moments in football that unless your there and are into the scene, people just will not understand. Feelings or overwhelming elation or like last night depression and sorrow. But it’s an experience you share with your mates. All 32’000 of them when at a home game. 
fishing is great. It’s a love and a passion. But there is more to be experienced in life, more powerful emotions. The only trouble with football is the fucking idiots that think they are some kind of mafia. Those who represent in the totally wrong way. But they are in general a minority. 
You will probably read this and say, what a soft head... and that’s ok. It’s ok, because you don’t get it! 

Yeah, I don't get it at all, which is why I asked, and I'm not sure you've convinced me yet...

#stillflummoxed 😉

For me, football was about the atmosphere. There was nothing quite like standing on the terraces at a noisy game, the noise of the crown could send tingles down your spine. The other part of it was the intimidation, competitiveness of the fans and a release from the drudgery of the weekday 8-5. Football can be exciting, frustrating and depressing all in one. I don't think anyone ever really gets it until they've been to a proper league game.... I certainly never did. I went to Norwich vs Arsenal, barclay end terrace, it was 0-0 but I was hooked, I suddenly got it....... Since then I've experienced the highs of being the 1st English club to beat Bayern Munich at the Olympic stadium, to score the last goal in front of the spiron kop, to the lows of being relegated, travelling to 4 or 5 consecutive away matches and losing all of them.......

It's a funny ol game....

8 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

So why do many fans support teams they have no geographical connection to? Reckon there must be way more Man U fans than the population of Manchester...

Those people are called “plastics” . Fans that follow a team for there glory and not because of where they are from. They are not real fans, hence the term. Or glory hunters if you like. 

7 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Yeah, I don't get it at all, which is why I asked, and I'm not sure you've convinced me yet...

#stillflummoxed 😉

That’s just my point. I won’t be able to convince you. And I’m not trying to. If you don’t get it you just don’t get it. Simple. 

8 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

For me, football was about the atmosphere. There was nothing quite like standing on the terraces at a noisy game, the noise of the crown could send tingles down your spine. The other part of it was the intimidation, competitiveness of the fans and a release from the drudgery of the weekday 8-5. Football can be exciting, frustrating and depressing all in one. I don't think anyone ever really gets it until they've been to a proper league game.... I certainly never did. I went to Norwich vs Arsenal, barclay end terrace, it was 0-0 but I was hooked, I suddenly got it....... Since then I've experienced the highs of being the 1st English club to beat Bayern Munich at the Olympic stadium, to score the last goal in front of the spiron kop, to the lows of being relegated, travelling to 4 or 5 consecutive away matches and losing all of them.......

It's a funny ol game....

Don't get me wrong, the experience of being in the stadium is impressive, especially when the home team scores, but I still don't get why people follow football with such a passion. Seems a lot of effort and expense for 30 seconds of elation... which isn't even guaranteed.

@suzook12 yes, the highs and lows. 
Saints being relegated to league 1 on minus 10 points. And then being promoted on two consecutive seasons straight back to the premier league. All these things are memories burned in to the brain forever. 

Just now, Saintly Fish said:

Because you don’t follow football or a team. It’s something you’ll never understand. 

So how and why does one follow a team then. Do people wake up one morning and simply decide to support a team?

I used to love playing football when I was a kid. Every break time and after school. But I always wanted to play it rather than watch it on TV. Could never see the attraction of watching others play when I could be playing it myself.

2 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

So how and why does one follow a team then. Do people wake up one morning and simply decide to support a team?

I used to love playing football when I was a kid. Every break time and after school. But I always wanted to play it rather than watch it on TV. Could never see the attraction of watching others play when I could be playing it myself.

Leo is the same. He loves playing but won’t watch on tv. But he loves going to games and keeping an eye on the league table. I suppose it’s just one of those things that you grow up with. My dad followed Saints, and so do I. 
my dad fished and so do I. My dad had boats, you get the pattern. Now Leo is doing the same. 
I feel the same way about rugby as you do about football. I just don’t get rugby, don’t see the skill in it at all. 

15 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Trust me Andy, there is a major difference watching on tv to being at a game, at the game you become part of something rather than just a spectator..... As for team alliegance, most people have their team from 3-4 years old, maybe because Mum or Dad supports them, or they just like the sound of the name, or they are constantly on tv and winning..... I was about 8 when asked why I didn't support my local team, I asked who that was, I was told Norwich, and I have followed them ever since, having been a season ticket holder for many years and regular away supporter. I still followed my other interests, fishing, drinking, motorbikes, drinking, girls, drinking...... Did I mention drinking??

It was the loss of terraces that put me off, there was a distinct loss of atmosphere as grounds became more open to accomodate seats. I had never been injured at a match ironically until the grounds went all seater, and on the day of Hillsborough, I was at Villa Patrk at the other semi final...... Another day forever etched in my memory

Edited by suzook12

13 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Leo is the same. He loves playing but won’t watch on tv. But he loves going to games and keeping an eye on the league table. I suppose it’s just one of those things that you grow up with. My dad followed Saints, and so do I. 
my dad fished and so do I. My dad had boats, you get the pattern. Now Leo is doing the same. 
I feel the same way about rugby as you do about football. I just don’t get rugby, don’t see the skill in it at all. 

Neither of my parents followed football, but then neither of them fished either.

I haven't a clue about the rules of rugby, which is rather a large barrier to enthusiasm right there.

I think for me it's broader than just football. I'd rather participate in any sport than watch it.

But I still don't get why people follow football... 🤷‍♂️

11 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

Trust me Andy, there is a major difference watching on tv to being at a game.

I've been to a few matches and it's undoubtedly impressive, but was I hooked? If I'm honest I usually can't wait to leave and do something more interesting to me. Even the post-match analysis in the pub isn't that enjoyable - everyone else is busy dissecting the plays in detail, and I'm on the outside of the conversation.

So for me, I'm yet to see why it's as popular as it is.

Never found it interesting at all even though my family (parents) were devoted football fans. Same goes for cricket and any other sport. Even when I entered events such as motocross and trials I couldn't see the attraction of watching it or following top riders. I enjoyed riding but as soon as I sold the bikes that was the end. 

I only really got into it in later life, ive followed Southampton all my life as I grew up on the IOW and my uncle was a saints fan, never went to any games or really followed it on TV until about my 30s - but in the last few years i started going to Wycombe wanderers matches (as i lived in wycombe until recently) and the experience of live football is something else. 8,000 people gathering for a common cause and experiencing the elation and disspointment in equal measures - awesome!

id say it also gives people something to look forward to, some common ground to chat about, and an excuse to go to the pub! its social!

I have no interest in cricket, tennis, athletics, golf, but theres plenty who do! and I get it! 

following football is a hobbie, and an extension of your friends and family network - much the same as fishing, sailing, rambling, bird watching, modifying cars, or even those lycra clad cyclists! 

23 minutes ago, mike farrants said:

I only really got into it in later life, ive followed Southampton all my life as I grew up on the IOW and my uncle was a saints fan, never went to any games or really followed it on TV until about my 30s - but in the last few years i started going to Wycombe wanderers matches (as i lived in wycombe until recently) and the experience of live football is something else. 8,000 people gathering for a common cause and experiencing the elation and disspointment in equal measures - awesome!

id say it also gives people something to look forward to, some common ground to chat about, and an excuse to go to the pub! its social!

I have no interest in cricket, tennis, athletics, golf, but theres plenty who do! and I get it! 

following football is a hobbie, and an extension of your friends and family network - much the same as fishing, sailing, rambling, bird watching, modifying cars, or even those lycra clad cyclists! 

Mike, what changed for you then to decide to start going to matches? @Saintly Fish says it was a family connection for him as a youngster, but it sounds like you found some other trigger seeing as you started to follow it as an adult?

partly being land locked in high wycombe ...... 🤪 drives you to do something! - now I live in weymouth I doubt we will go so much - too busy fishing!

But mostly as my Girfriend and her dad started going again (having gone years ago) - and while I stayed home to watch rugby/do some gardening etc, I soon started tagging a long and enjoyed it!

I used to be firmly in the camp that didn't understand grown men running around a field chasing a ball - but now I've travelled 3hrs plus for an away game, met the players and manager, and even occasionally wear the shirt! its like all things once you get into it, you get into it.

me and Bayo Akinfenwa, and me and the legend that is Matt le Tissier below:

EYPY5750.JPG

Le God.jpg

5 hours ago, JDP said:

Never found it interesting at all even though my family (parents) were devoted football fans. Same goes for cricket and any other sport. Even when I entered events such as motocross and trials I couldn't see the attraction of watching it or following top riders. I enjoyed riding but as soon as I sold the bikes that was the end. 

I must admit, since I stopped drag racing, apart from meeting up with old friends, the draw of the drag strip has gone, and haven't been since..... Same as not going to football matches doesn't bother me.

I completely lost my interest in football when i moved to Wales, as a kid, in the 70s.  Played rugby twice a week, trained twice more until knee dislocated when 19.  Still follow the internationals, but am of confused allegiance as I was born in England, grew up in Wales and live in Ireland!  Oh well, at least we always win?  I run my own alternative six nations, where the team that played the best wins, and gets a bonus point if they really stood out.