New van

jonnyswamp

Been thinking about changing my van for a while and after looking at 2nd hand prices, decided to go new

Ordered a Transit Custom 300 Ltd, 130ps, high roof, beginning of Jan and was told delivery would be end of March/April

Had an email the other week to say that it had been put back to June/July, FFS

Apparently Ford have done the same to most on the waiting list for H2's (high roof) and Amazon have ordered 7000 new Transits, which they wanted delivered within 12 weeks of ordering them

I don't know how much of that I believe, but there are certainly a lot of new Transits about with the Amazon logo

I suspect that most of Fords production lines won't be fully staffed due to Covid and also we have Brexit affecting imports etc

Really needed to be buying a van in this tax year, not next

Decisions decisions

7 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

That's a bit shit for you. Can you bin your order and look elsewhere? A bit cheeky of Ford to bump all the small guys in favour of one big order.

Have looked/enquired and there doesn't seem to be any new H2's available, all factory ordered, none in stock

The deal I had was a shade over 20k plus VAT brand new, there are some 20 plate ones up for 24k plus 

My deal was through a leasing company, they buy in bulk and get tremendous discounts, then sell on for less than I can buy direct from Ford (unless you're one of Fishys family)

10 minutes ago, JonC said:

Why not lease a van? The payments are similar to the depreciation over the period and it’s never your problem. 

It's never appealed to me, usually a big payment at the end of the lease, or they sting you on excess mileage over 10/12k per year

Or are there better lease deals available now ?

2 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

Have looked/enquired and there doesn't seem to be any new H2's available, all factory ordered, none in stock

The deal I had was a shade over 20k plus VAT brand new, there are some 20 plate ones up for 24k plus 

My deal was through a leasing company, they buy in bulk and get tremendous discounts, then sell on for less than I can buy direct from Ford (unless you're one of Fishys family)

You may need to sleep with Fisty then.

I hear his summer house is very nice. 

4 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

It's never appealed to me, usually a big payment at the end of the lease, or they sting you on excess mileage over 10/12k per year

Or are there better lease deals available now ?

The mileage can be set to your expected use, and it’s only about 5 or 6 pence a mile if you go over.  
Obviously if you hand it back fucked you will get charged but that is the same as when you trade in your old van or sell it privately. 

It does sound like you had a good deal, so probably worth the wait and take the advantages in your next year. Perhaps your business needs a load of new tackle? to be bought in before this tax year ends. Geoff. :classic_wink:

Edited by Geoff

1 minute ago, JonC said:

The mileage can be set to your expected use, and it’s only about 5 or 6 pence a mile. 
Obviously if you hand it back fucked you will get charged but that is the same as when you trade in your old van or sell it privately. 

I'll have a look and see what deals are about tomorrow 

2 minutes ago, Geoff said:

It does sound like you had a good deal, so probably worth the wait and take the advantages in your next year. Perhaps your business needs a load of new tackle? to be bought in before this tax year ends. Geoff. :classic_wink:

I think I need to by a load of SPJ kit from Terry and do a bit of corporate hospitalty on my boat

I like your way of thinking Geoff, but Mr taxman may need a bit of persuading, should I get investigated

Just now, jonnyswamp said:

I think I need to by a load of SPJ kit from Terry and do a bit of corporate hospitalty on my boat

I like your way of thinking Geoff, but Mr taxman may need a bit of persuading, should I get investigated

I may have put a windlass through my books in the past. 

1 hour ago, jonnyswamp said:

Hmm, as I understand it, corporate hospitality is not tax deductible, but taking your staff out on the piss is !

The boat fuel can go on tax ..............

Creative accounting within the HMRC guidelines works for me ...............

17 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Any luck on this Nick?

Haven't really had chance to look yet,I'll have a word with my acc and see what my tax liabilities will be as it stands 

If not too bad, I'll wait until June/July

On another note, my 3 daughters are here, along with their boyfriends

I may have to be an antisocial twat and retire to my garage to get on the outside of a couple of cans of Bow

When they're all together yakking, it gets unbearable

Just been and picked up a new (secondhand) vehicle for my fish mad daughter. The 4x4 was to my north on the QLD border and with a window of two days bad weather we took the opportunity to head up and get it. I was thinking to myself how a 2800km drive to buy a car and get it home in two days would be pretty unthinkable back home in the UK, yet here its just what you have to do given how such a small population is so spread out. Got the car, grabbed a few hours sleep on the way home and just been out for an unsuccessful trip in my boat!!!!!.....why my daughter is offshore in the bigger boat cracking into the marlin now!!

Is there a shortage of vehicles in the UK since the pandemic kicked in ? It seems to be getting very hard to get certain vehicles here and there seems to be a big hike in prices for both new and secondhand (cars and boats).