Quivksilver 640 ph

FreeDinky

On 3/17/2021 at 7:06 PM, Andy135 said:

She's a nice looking tub there. What engine does she have on the back?

Hi Andy it's got a mariner 90 I've had 24 knots out of it it might go a bit faster but I don't know how to trim it properly yet I'm still learning lol heard you count to one one thousand ,two one thousand, three one thousand then its about right and im yet to try doing that 😀

On 3/17/2021 at 7:34 PM, Geoff said:

A very nice looking boat. Thanks for showing. Geoff.

Cheers Geoff it's my 1st boat the Mrs wasn't too happy with it as I told her it was ok to have a party on with the kids but when she see it she never spoke to me for 3 days lol 😀 she wants to upgrade it to a weekend one bit bigger but I'm going to see how much I use it 1st before I start saving 

On 3/17/2021 at 8:28 PM, JonC said:

Nice boat, very similar shape  to my Arvor, they are all from the same shed in Poland. I dare say yours can shift a bit faster though 

I'm used to going 9 or 10 knots max on the boats I work on the river thames so this  definitely puts a grin on my face . Just got to learn how to use these boats they blow about like fag papers where there so light im used to heavy steel boats barges tugs etc . 

13 hours ago, FreeDinky said:

Hi Andy it's got a mariner 90 I've had 24 knots out of it it might go a bit faster but I don't know how to trim it properly yet I'm still learning lol heard you count to one one thousand ,two one thousand, three one thousand then its about right and im yet to try doing that 😀

Trimming an outboard can be a bit tricky. Do you have a trim gauge on your dash? Generally you reach your cruising RPM on the throttle, then trim out until the revs rise just a bit. At this point you can trim in to get back to cruising RPM - your wake should be at its smallest now. Some folks like to trim out until the RPM's rise then throttle back to cruising RPM to get the fuel savings whilst maintaining speed but in my mind this feels like the prop is still at an angle that's not ideal.

36 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Trimming an outboard can be a bit tricky. Do you have a trim gauge on your dash? Generally you reach your cruising RPM on the throttle, then trim out until the revs rise just a bit. At this point you can trim in to get back to cruising RPM - your wake should be at its smallest now. Some folks like to trim out until the RPM's rise then throttle back to cruising RPM to get the fuel savings whilst maintaining speed but in my mind this feels like the prop is still at an angle that's not ideal.

Ahhh ill try and do that next time I'm out I guess if I keep trying I'll start to understand it a bit better once I've used it a couple of time but I get the jest of what your saying .thanks Andy 👍👍

31 minutes ago, FreeDinky said:

Ahhh ill try and do that next time I'm out I guess if I keep trying I'll start to understand it a bit better once I've used it a couple of time but I get the jest of what your saying .thanks Andy 👍👍

When trimming, do it in one second presses of the button. If you just hold the button down the engine will lift and cavitat, then you will have to start all over again as you will loose speed. 

• 3 weeks later...

Nice boat,  I looked at those in amongst the Arvors. Settled on a Merry Fisher 

Just adding that you'll get on plane quicker with the outboard trimmed right in,  when on plane start trimming out until you hit the sweetspot as Andy described,  my trim gauge is done on my plotter so I remember the number I trim to in normal conditions. 

On 3/18/2021 at 10:08 PM, FreeDinky said:

but I don't know how to trim it properly yet

Trim it right in to get up on the plane. Once on the plane, then trim out a little and increase the throttle to cruising speed , then trim out until the bow starts to porpoise, then just trim in a touch to stop the bow porpoise and that is it.  If you consider that the trim range is the first 10% of the complete trim / tilt range, then most boats only require about 3% to provide the correct cruising trim

Get in to the habit of trimming in whenever you come down off the plane to displacement speeds ............ it saves you looking like a tw@t when you move off again, and it won't get up onto the plane 🙄🤣

What year is the mariner 90 ? ........... if it is after 2016 then you can fit 'Mercury active trim', which looks after your trim automatically for you.