Easter fishing

Tony smith

Who out plaice bashing over the Easter weekend 

I'm out from Portsmouth just thinking where to go Brambles is on my mind.

Anyone got any thoughts on it.

Sunday Monday looks like the best days.

Also best place to get bait (rag/ squid)

Cheers

Tony 

I'm hoping to be out over Easter too. Sunday morning looks promising - might have to do a mega-early start to get the best of the weather though. Chasing the plaice and will also test out my new slow jigging gear over Boulder Bank I reckon.

I get my squid from my local tackle shop in Berkshire who, amazingly, keeps packets of dirty squid in stock despite being many miles from the sea. For worm you could try Dave's Tackle (http://www.davestackle.co.uk/) in Gosport. Not used him yet but he's local to my marina, so I'll be giving him a try shortly.

I hope to be out on Sunday having another try for plaice, the blocks or hayling bay will be my destination. I have had worm from Dave's tackle in Gosport this year and it was good quality, I will be giving Cosham tackle ago as they look to have had some nice worm these last few weeks on their FB page and it's a new shop which has opened this year so will give it a try,they claim to be the cheapest in the area.

Steve

I had planned to give Dave's Tackle a try for rag but it now looks like I'll be heading out very early on Sunday and won't be able to collect it, so I tried BaitsRUs and Solent Baits. However, both are out of stock for rag. Called them this morning.

BaitsRUs said he'd had orders put in as far back as last weekend for Easter.  Apparently rag are thin on the ground at present and with lots of pent up demand and short supply they've both sold out.

So if anyone  plans to use a local tackle shop then get your order in early.

15 minutes ago, mike farrants said:

im heading out from weymouth in search of plaice - done think the weather will be good enough for the turbot on the shambles so will stay inshore for plaice!

now to find some rag!

Failing that get some fresh blacks if rag not available! 

I’m hoping too get out. It’s a bit chilly for reefing but there maybe some mackerel and herring about, always dogs maybe some rays and huss but no work and just be nice to be out after so long!

1 hour ago, Saintly Fish said:

Failing that get some fresh blacks if rag not available! 

Yep - I had to order fresh blacks instead of rag. Got some frozen too, plus I'll give @GPSguru's suggestion of frozen prawn a shot as well.

£10 worth of rag collected, freezer full of joeys, squid, lug and 5 sandeels.

out on the boat tomorrow from weymouth - hopefully for turbot, plaice, rays, smoothouds, especially doggies!

see how the wind is - shambles if we can, adamant if not, and if the wind is bad shelter under white nothe or ringstead - if its really bad drift the bay for plaice, or try inside portland harbour for early bream..

then might try stone pier or chesil on Saturday and Monday, depending on the wind.

Hi All

Weather looks spot on for Sunday 

Going to try Dean Tail for the mackerel and herring 

If we are successful see if the smoothound will play.

Then over to the Boulder Bank and The Swashway for the plaice.

Might see you there Andy.

Have a great weekend everyone don't eat to much chocolate 

Tony 🎣🎣👍👍😬

1 hour ago, Tony smith said:

Hi All

Weather looks spot on for Sunday 

Going to try Dean Tail for the mackerel and herring 

If we are successful see if the smoothound will play.

Then over to the Boulder Bank and The Swashway for the plaice.

Might see you there Andy.

Have a great weekend everyone don't eat to much chocolate 

Tony 🎣🎣👍👍😬

Tony, you heard of any mackerel coming out at Dean Tail then? They've been getting fewer and fewer in our waters over the last few seasons.

On 3/31/2021 at 2:39 PM, Andy135 said:

Yep - I had to order fresh blacks instead of rag. Got some frozen too, plus I'll give @GPSguru's suggestion of frozen prawn a shot as well.

I rarely use worm for plaice these days.

Frozen raw prawn ( or part of a king prawn) tipped with a sliver of squid works really well and finds the better fish.

We find that a sliver of mack belly tipped with squid works just fine.

we have also used mussels, razors, and clams to good effect. All are soft baits so need to be tipped with a bit of squid.

21 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

I rarely use worm for plaice these days.

Frozen raw prawn ( or part of a king prawn) tipped with a sliver of squid works really well and finds the better fish.

We find that a sliver of mack belly tipped with squid works just fine.

we have also used mussels, razors, and clams to good effect. All are soft baits so need to be tipped with a bit of squid.

Good stuff. I picked up some frozen king prawns this afternoon... from Waitrose no less! 🤣 Best fed plaice in the sea!