Another wrecking trip..............

GPSguru

Good write up Ian and well done for getting out there in less than ideal conditions. Amazing that the pout took on a jig that size!

Out of curiosity how many jigs would you expect to lose on a wreck?

1 minute ago, Andy135 said:

Good write up Ian and well done for getting out there in less than ideal conditions. Amazing that the pout took on a jig that size!

Out of curiosity how many jigs would you expect to lose on a wreck?

Depends on the wreck. Broken wrecks tend to be tackle graveyards and I would expect to lose a couple, intact wrecks are usually Ok and I wouldn't anticipate losing any, by dropping before the wreck and then coming up 4 or 5 turns. When fishing Subs, it is very unusual to get snagged.

Today I was trying to fish almost into the wreck !

5 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

6.5 deg ?? Do you have a protractor or digital gauge? 
Well done on giving it a go, even if the fruit didn't fall. 

Mercury SmartCraft digital gauge ......... It uses the first 10 percent of movement as trim and the rest is tilt ............. once on the water the 'Mercury active trim' automatically controls the trim until I override it .............

Edited by GPSguru

12 hours ago, GPSguru said:

Mercury SmartCraft digital gauge ......... It uses the first 10 percent of movement as trim and the rest is tilt ............. once on the water the 'Mercury active trim' automatically controls the trim until I override it .............

I have a 2020 60hp Mercury on my rib would I be able to fit smartcraft as aftrmarket.

Well done on persevering,at least you didn`t blank.

Just now, mick said:

I have a 2020 60hp Mercury on my rib would I be able to fit smartcraft as aftrmarket.

You should already have the smartcraft SC1000 rev counter with the smartcraft LCD display in the bottom of it for oil pressure/ fuel used / engine temp/ batt voltage etc. 

different models have differing smartcraft options and I cant remember whether the 60 has a trim option or not. I will have a look later. 

1 hour ago, mick said:

I have had a look and active trim is available for any smart craft enabled engine, so that will be 40hp and above ................ once setup it works extremely well, especially when going into a turn as it automatically trims in  to go into the turn and then trims out as you come out of the turn.

Setting up can be a little confusing as you need to get your head around the 5 major profiles, which each have 5 minor profiles. so once you have set it to the correct major profile, then you end up with the 5 minor profiles on the control panel. Setting up requires getting the boat up to max speed or above 30knts if the max speed is massive, and then cycle through the major profiles until the correct trim is found, which is usually bow up and the boat is just below porpoising. Then hit the buttons to lock in that profile and away you go. Generally RIBS do not require huge amounts of trim. At 20knts yesterday I was showing about 1.9% of trim on a flat sea. At 30kns my trim is somewhere around 2.5%

8 hours ago, mick said:

Ours came from XS fitted with analogue gauges.

Will have to speak to our local sv engineer.

Your engine is definitely smartcraft enabled, all engines over 40hp have been SC enabled since 2014. For easy functionality you will need a SC1000 rev counter and cables which is about £400.  All the connecting is done in the console to the engine loom Junction  box.

The SC 1000 speedo is a waste of time as you already have GPS speed on the plotter.

Edited by GPSguru

Good write up mate 

Love it that you say you went because the wife wanted to go.

Must be great both having an interest in fishing ( some blokes will be growling at me now haha )

Love my wife to come along got more chance of shitting in the Queen's hand bad  than my wife coming fishing.😂

Nice pout mate 👍