Lenco trim tab actuator rebuild

I've discovered why my port side trim tab actuator wasn't working. The motor is seized due to water ingress. See the puddle on the floor in the bottom right corner of the pic below? All that came out of the actuator when I opened it up.

mS2EbVS.jpg

Luckily, despite looking crappy, the gears are all fine and turn the ram without excess friction or sticking, which means I can clean them up, relube them and re-use them.

u9H1mB0.jpg

So I'll order a replacement motor and see how it goes from there.

Looks like a good soaking in wd40 is in order there. 
I read somewhere that a motor from an electric drill will match up to that tab motor. Maybe you could look into that. Will probably save you a few quid if true!! 
No need to thank me😇

8 hours ago, suzook12 said:

Can you get in at the motor? If so, it is repairable

The motor can be removed from the housing and I'll see if I can free it off but it's been sitting in salt water for who knows how long so it may well be beyond repair.

Andy, have you considered retro fitting the gyroscopic self levelling control to your system?

I know when we chatted about it you were considering it if you replaced the whole system. It would take away a lot of extra thinking when at the helm in choppy conditions. 

4 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Ha, I just found the same. 👍

I would potentially consider this but will see how I get on with trim tabs that actually work and decide at the end of the season I think.

4 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Ha, I just found the same. 👍

I would potentially consider this but will see how I get on with trim tabs that actually work and decide at the end of the season I think.

Yeah that’s fair enough. You will now just have to get used to right being left and up being down! 

41 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

The motor can be removed from the housing and I'll see if I can free it off but it's been sitting in salt water for who knows how long so it may well be beyond repair.

Yes, it will be repairable as long as the soft iron core hasn't evaporated.... I was quoted £100 for a rewind on a smallish motor albeit 3 phase. Yours may just need a wash off and fresh bearings which are pennies in comparison, someone such as simply bearings online should be able to supply what you need if you have the numbers or sizes.... And some fresh O rings and seal em up with vaseline or something.

Seems you may have just found a new annual task, strip and replace O rings and reseal......

That looks like a plastic gear and I would suggest that careful use of two correctly sized screw drivers at 180 degrees to each other would soon have it off. Get the shaft as clean as poss. before levering. Don't be to  rough.good luck. Geoff.☺️

Edited by Geoff

I posted at the same time as Zook. I suspect that there is not a pin, but if there is it should be easy to see it. there could be a flat on the shaft, but it doesn't look like it in the pics. Geoff.

37 minutes ago, Geoff said:

That looks like a plastic gear and I would suggest that careful use of two correctly sized screw drivers at 180 degrees to each other would soon have it off. Get the shaft as clean as poss. before levering. Don't be to  rough.good luck. Geoff.☺️

Just tried your two screwdrivers trick and it worked.Thanks Geoff 👍

BjPXM1b.jpg

After soaking it in penetrating fluid whilst we went for a dog walk, the shaft now turns. Not smoothly, and as you say Steve it feels like it needs a new bearing. How do I take the motor apart? Looks like it's just held together by pressed tabs in the body casing.

On 4/11/2021 at 1:02 PM, Andy135 said:

After soaking it in penetrating fluid whilst we went for a dog walk, the shaft now turns. Not smoothly, and as you say Steve it feels like it needs a new bearing. How do I take the motor apart? Looks like it's just held together by pressed tabs in the body casing.

Sorry, missed this, my notifications aren't working

5 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Bit of a win tonight. I've been leaving the motor standing upright and regularly dripped penetrating fluid around the shaft so it seeps down into the bearing. Just checked it this evening and I've found I can now spin the shaft easily. The shaft movement feels relatively smooth.

So I rigged up a couple of leads and put the motor across a battery and it spun up perfectly.

Looks like I may have a serviceable motor after all.

That’s a good thing. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2021 at 4:54 AM, JonC said:

I've been leaving the motor standing upright and regularly dripped penetrating fluid around the shaft so it seeps down into the bearing. Just checked it this evening and I've found I can now spin the shaft easily. The shaft movement feels relatively smooth.

You really need to drip a 'sticky oil' into the bearing overnight, as WD40 (water repellent oil) and Plusgas (penetrating oil) will both dry out very quickly.

Got any 3 in 1 or reel oil handy? , both will do the job fine