Skerries Banks -Tuesday 13th April

GPSguru

Great report Ian. Thanks for the effort. 
Some great fishing there, not jealous at all. I just wish I lived in an area where nice plaice were gettable. It’s a species that just seems to miss us in any numbers or sizes. 
I must say that a man of your experience going the short cut around cod rock and nearly running aground is a surprise. Thought you’d know better!! 

Top report and top fishing! Well done to you and crew 👍

Very envious indeed. We often visit Dartmouth to see family (well, we used to but haven't seen them in over a year now) and I've always wanted to fish the Skerries. I hear that Lannacombe Bay just past Start Point can be good for turbot and bass on its day too.

Bad luck on the Aviators, but I guess it balances out with your lucky near miss! 😯

16 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Great report Ian. Thanks for the effort. 
Some great fishing there, not jealous at all. I just wish I lived in an area where nice plaice were gettable. It’s a species that just seems to miss us in any numbers or sizes. 
I must say that a man of your experience going the short cut around cod rock and nearly running aground is a surprise. Thought you’d know better!! 

Unfortunately, familiarity breeds contempt, but I won't make the same error of judgement again in a hurry !

I only normally go through that channel 1hr either side of high.

Here is a zoomed pic of my track, I must have passed between the rock pinnacles on the finger ............ TBF, when on the plane I only need 15inches of water for the prop and skeg, as the hull has a massive planning pad at the stern end of the keel.

1343993722_CodRock.thumb.jpg.3c78f54221ddb64716d38dff18da4ce6.jpg

11 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Unfortunately, familiarity breeds contempt, but I won't make the same error of judgement again in a hurry !

I only normally go through that channel 1hr either side of high.

Here is a zoomed pic of my track, I must have passed between the rock pinnacles on the finger ............ TBF, when on the plane I only need 15inches of water for the prop and skeg, as the hull has a massive planning pad at the stern end of the keel.

1343993722_CodRock.thumb.jpg.3c78f54221ddb64716d38dff18da4ce6.jpg

Still, could have been a bad end to a great day. I hope you went home, sat on the naughty step and had a stern word with yourself! 

Excellent report and some nice fish, must admit my stomach turned a bit when you mentioned 2-3ft of water above the rocks

I did similar a year or 2 ago down towards Stout and my arse felt like it was making Cadburys buttons for a bit

Should've done the lottery last night

1 hour ago, Dicky said:

Heard whispers of some nice cod on the inshore wrecks already

Yes, I heard the same whispers, but as yet, I have not seen any Cod on the wrecks we fish. I would assume that the cod are on the deeper wrecks to the west of Brixham.

On 4/14/2021 at 12:09 PM, Andy135 said:

Bad luck on the Aviators

Ordered a new pair today from Ray Ban UK, however, delivery will be about a week as I have specified Zeiss glass polarized lenses.

The pair I lost were 20 years old, I bought them in Florence at the Ray Ban shop on the golden bridge, so they have certainly given good service.

Edited by GPSguru

I don’t wear sunglasses on the boat. 

I got out the habit when fishing out of Cardiff as you need X-Ray vision it’s so murky....

Oh and the main reason is it’s wales, we don’t get sunshine here 🤣

54 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

I don’t wear sunglasses on the boat. 

I got out the habit when fishing out of Cardiff as you need X-Ray vision it’s so murky....

Oh and the main reason is it’s wales, we don’t get sunshine here 🤣

I'll wear shades when I'm fishing, but they react with whatever is in the windscreen, so just squint if I'm heading into the sun

Or just look like I'm constantly saluting an imaginary Captain if the sun is low

1 hour ago, Saintly Fish said:

I always have sunglasses on. They have a lanyard to stop them going over. I’d have though @GPSguru would have had the same. I can’t fish without sunglasses unless it’s raining and real dark. 

Having lived in Oz, and spent time in a number of hot countries, I always wear sunglasses if the sun is shining, regardless of winter or summer. 

I already wear a lanyard for the go-pro remote, and another for the line clippers. However, I have never been able to get on with the type of lanyard that is used for glasses.

On the boat I tend to put them on the offshore 105 compass, which is a bit like the shape of a bald head ( l guess reminiscent of @Andy135 who seems to be well on the way to a chrome dome 🤣).  
There was no excuse to lose them, on the A frame are 2 large dry boxes !