A day on the inshore wrecks

GPSguru

A red band fish! Who knew?! I've heard of them being caught along Plymouth Breakwater but not as far east as your way. Good catch.

Sounds like a decent, busy session. Just goes to show how local knowledge counts for everything. Well done. 👍

Still a pleasant day to be out and you had SOME fish

As I won't be going abroad this summer, I'm seriously thinking about steaming down and around to your neck of the woods for a couple of weeks in the summer

Are there any visitors moorings in Dartmouth/Torbay area that would be available for 2 weeks, or are they all short term 

Really fancy a fortnight down there

4 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

As I won't be going abroad this summer, I'm seriously thinking about steaming down and around to your neck of the woods for a couple of weeks in the summer

Are there any visitors moorings in Dartmouth/Torbay area that would be available for 2 weeks, or are they all short term 

Dart Haven has some visitor moorings. All short term and not bookable in advance but they will all be walk ashore plus Dart Haven has good facilities. It's on the Kingswear side of the river but the Lower Ferries get you to the Dartmouth side every 10 mins or so.

Noss on Dart a bit further upriver also has similar visitor moorings. It's quieter up there but you'd have to take the water taxi to get into Dartmouth for a meal, or walk downriver from Noss to the Higher Ferry to get over to Dartmouth.

I'd avoid Dart Harbour authority visitor moorings as they can raft up, meaning you would have a faff if you wanted to depart early for a session and were on the inside of the raft, plus some of their moorings aren't walk-ashore.

Not sure about Paignton/Torbay marinas but I'd guess they are all non-bookable short term too.

If you did go to Dartmouth.... I'd be tempted to take mine down for a couple of nights too. 

Are you trailering? It’s a hell of a trek around lands end and back up the other side? 

West Wales is good, Lundy is day trip away, Padstow for a weekend and inshore reefs as well as smalls locally for the lures 🙂 

I think anywhere at these times needs to be booked. The amount of boat owners who are not going on holiday but staying on their boats for staycations is immense. The marinas round our way are fully booked pretty much all through the summer already.  

2 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Are you trailering? It’s a hell of a trek around lands end and back up the other side? 

West Wales is good, Lundy is day trip away, Padstow for a weekend and inshore reefs as well as smalls locally for the lures 🙂 

Not trailering no, would sail down

Have also given Milford more than a passing thought too, some cracking reef fishing down there

Would have to be somewhere i can book in advance, don't want to leave it to chance

I've got the number for Dart Marina, will give them a call tomorrow and see what they have

28 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

Yes, there are visitor moorings in Salcombe, Dartmouth, Brixham, Torquay, & Teignmouth.

mostly the charge by the night per metre.

There are 2 marinas in Dartmouth, noss and darthaven.

Edited by GPSguru

1 minute ago, GPSguru said:

Yes, there are visitor moorings in Salcombe, Dartmouth, Brixham, Torquay, & Teignmouth.

mostly the charge by the night per metre.

I was going to suggest Brixham. 
Looks like a Devin boat meet on the cards too🤔

1 hour ago, jonnyswamp said:

Have also given Milford more than a passing thought too, some cracking reef fishing down there

Would have to be somewhere i can book in advance, don't want to leave it to chance

I've got the number for Dart Marina, will give them a call tomorrow and see what they have

If you were coming this way then  take a good look at what Fowey and Falmouth have to offer. The fishing is generally excellent there and there are plenty of sheltered marks.

Edited by GPSguru

16 hours ago, jonnyswamp said:

Milford will most likely have room, ring a day or two before (especially if down over bank holidays). 

24/7 fuel and good pubs in marina :)!