Sea Champion 18

Dicky

15 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

I know the pirate boats are sturdy and well built, but aside from an extra 3ft, what does the change bring you? 

A lockable cabin, better sea keeping, more space, more stability, our current boat is great and wouldn't swap it for any other 17-18 footer. Just feels like the right time to move up a little whilst still being towable. 

11 hours ago, Dicky said:

A lockable cabin, better sea keeping, more space, more stability, our current boat is great and wouldn't swap it for any other 17-18 footer. Just feels like the right time to move up a little whilst still being towable. 

Being a deep Vee they need a lot of power to get the best from them. As it is quite a heavy boat, I would want to see at least a 225 on the back. The power is required to get them on the plane ( just like mine) as a deep Vee doesn't ‘pop up’ quite so easy. My hole shot is very quick (3secs ish) with the 150 and the RIB weighs about one ton fully loaded.

Top speed on a pirate is IIRC 35knt ish 👍

1 hour ago, JonC said:

There’s a nice looking one on Facebook at Plymouth.  

EB122269-386C-40D3-B332-F36E2ED9880B.jpeg

It’s over priced to my mind…. Lack of electronics means you’ll need to kit it out sadly 😞 

Then again there is one for 63k + vat but I think it’s got a license too…

2 hours ago, Odyssey said:

It’s over priced to my mind…. Lack of electronics means you’ll need to kit it out sadly 😞 

Then again there is one for 63k + vat but I think it’s got a license too…

They are so few and far between that they can command a price, the waiting list on new hulls is quite long from what I’m told. The guy in my village who recently bought one was on a waiting list of over a year, which is why he took a second hand one. I don’t think the numbers were an issue. (He’s a plumber) 
It makes me wonder why boats like this are manufactured in such low numbers, if the design for them is so high. 

25 minutes ago, JonC said:

They are so few and far between that they can command a price, the waiting list on new hulls is quite long from what I’m told. The guy in my village who recently bought one was on a waiting list of over a year, which is why he took a second hand one. I don’t think the numbers were an issue. (He’s a plumber) 
It makes me wonder why boats like this are manufactured in such low numbers, if the design for them is so high. 

It’s the same for all popular boats…. Breaksea boats is 18-24 months to get a build, Swiftcat similar, warrior the same…. I guess keeps prices high 

Anyway, hopefully @Dicky gets a new boat soon and we can all ogle over boat pics 🤩

6 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

It’s the same for all popular boats…. Breaksea boats is 18-24 months to get a build, Swiftcat similar, warrior the same…. I guess keeps prices high 

Anyway, hopefully @Dicky gets a new boat soon and we can all ogle over boat pics 🤩

Absolutely, and it has been like that for a few years. When Alan got the offshore 25, the waiting list was way too long, so he got them to just mould the hull, cabin, and pod.

It was then transported to his garage and took a further 7 months to build.

• 2 weeks later...