Installing flush fit rod holders

Last night I installed two new flush fit rod holders on Jersey Girl, one in each corner of the splashwell top.

Certainly focuses the mind when you're about to cut a great big hole in your boat...!

Firstly, measure, measure then measure again. See my marking out below and how I adjusted the position of the holder before cutting!

spacer.png

Here's the first cut, in the starboard corner.

spacer.png

And on the port corner, the drill bit snapped! Bugger!

spacer.png

spacer.png

But I could keep the cut going and it finished fine.

spacer.png

spacer.png

What’s the other deck hardware? 

I’m just glad I got rails to clamp my holders to, I’m not sure I’d have the courage to start drilling holes in my gunnels 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Yep, I had to swallow hard before making the first cut!! 😬

There are rails on the gunnels and splashwell top but... they're really only any good for tying off fenders because they're too low - not enough room underneath the rail to get the clamp of a rail-mount rod holder under it. As it happens though it's no biggie for me as I like the look of the flush fit holders on this boat - keeps it looking minimalist and less cluttered 😁

3 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Glad you sorted it out ok. What you could have done with was a mate who would lend you a hole saw kit !! 

If only I had a mate like that eh? In the end I bought one from Screwfix.

I also put the new chain and warp in - that was a pain of a job - head in the anchor locker pulling the warp through the windlass and coiling it by hand, all 180m of it. No wonder I didn't leave the marina until 1.30am today - got home by 3. I'm off for a nap now....

Just now, suzook12 said:

How exactly did you snap a drill bit in GRP?

No idea - it was just the bit that came with the hole saw arbour, so I suspect it may have been at the lower end of the quality scale.

27 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

If only I had a mate like that eh? In the end I bought one from Screwfix.

I also put the new chain and warp in - that was a pain of a job - head in the anchor locker pulling the warp through the windlass and coiling it by hand, all 180m of it. No wonder I didn't leave the marina until 1.30am today - got home by 3. I'm off for a nap now....

Be careful that you’re rode isn’t linked at all, mine got caught in the gypsy Saturday due to being twisted. Pain in the leg. 

6 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Do you mean kinked instead of linked Jon?

If so, then yes, that was part of the reason I coiled it by hand, to ensure it's as twist free as possible.

Yep typo, kinked. My rope had been lifted in and out a few times when I was fitting my windlass 

Just now, JonC said:

When I fitted flush mounts into my gunwales it was a pain as they are wooden, about an inch thick so I needed to cut the core at an angle to match the incline of the holder tube. 

I can see how that would have been a pain to do, and would have been easy to bugger up the cut.

A useful tip about using a hole saw. If you need to cut a hole near an old hole such that it is impossible to use a pilot hole as a centre. Cut a holesaw hole in a piece  of ply and use a temporary means to fix the ply hole template to where you need the hole. Use the holesaw without the pilot drill. The holesaw will run in the hole in the ply and cut the hole where you want it. I was looking for a reason to post something as I would like to know what the little rectangles (smilies) are and how to access them. Geoff.☺️

In the above post, by temporary means I meant anything from tape, glue gun or even holding in position. The holesaw will just run inside the template and cut the hole. Once the saw has started the cut the template could be removed if wanted. Common sense I know, but sometimes very useful.  Geoff. ☺️

8 hours ago, Geoff said:

A useful tip about using a hole saw. If you need to cut a hole near an old hole such that it is impossible to use a pilot hole as a centre. Cut a holesaw hole in a piece  of ply and use a temporary means to fix the ply hole template to where you need the hole. Use the holesaw without the pilot drill. The holesaw will run in the hole in the ply and cut the hole where you want it. I was looking for a reason to post something as I would like to know what the little rectangles (smilies) are and how to access them. Geoff.☺️

Top tip Geoff 👍

11 hours ago, Geoff said:

In the above post, by temporary means I meant anything from tape, glue gun or even holding in position. The holesaw will just run inside the template and cut the hole. Once the saw has started the cut the template could be removed if wanted. Common sense I know, but sometimes very useful.  Geoff. ☺️

commen sence is allways in short serply

3 hours ago, captin slows old outlaw said:

commen sence is allways in short serply

To true right Pete. On one of the forums I use I had a line at the bottom of each post stating " common sense is not so common". Geoff.

I still do not understand the little rectangles!!! Geoff.☺️