Trailer Electrics

suzook12

Just now, suzook12 said:

Haha, ya think??

It's for the modified fuses.......... 🤣

No, it's to run around the trailer as a clamp bar to cable tie the wiring to, keeps it nice and tidy and protected

Reckon you'd need at least 6mm for the fuses, maybe more 🤣

5 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

Been there, 6mm fits a 13A plug nicely as just about anyone who has used an old oil filled oxford welder will testify to!!

I can’t find the pictures but often see picture of a 5.56mm round being used in land rovers. 

2 hours ago, suzook12 said:

Just got to get some 5 or 6mm round bar and can then actually start wiring it...

Wow Steve, that sounds like pretty heavy duty wiring - be better in copper though. Geoff.:classic_wink:

6 hours ago, GPSguru said:

A commando plug is way better on big welders 😉

Absolutely, and unheard of back in the 80's (to us mere mortals that is)..... Also, don't think the firm would have gone to the expense as the whole point was the "mobility" of the welder once we'd put it on wheels to avoid hernias and slipped discs lol

Got electrics pretty much done today.....

Had to get some different number plate lights as the ones I wanted won't be here till mid June now....

Got all the 6mm mild steel "fuses" in......

1109077295_wiring2.jpg.fd90e4dc6d44c575de570bfe61573701.jpg

Number plate lights fitted

125357482_wiring3.jpg.27201c71ad424e066403b3918eb27ec2.jpg

All the light tails taken through to junction box and cut to length and terminated in choc block....... I don't like using chock blocks, but have yet to find a junction box I like that uses studs.....

1779901974_wiring4.jpg.990a436d1703a6fd9cc9d3679e70c9ef.jpg

I could have used coloured heat shrink to match the colours up, but I like to wire the 7 core in order of pin numbers/colours at other end which helps fault finding. If I was doing it for a customer then the wire ends would be tagged/colour coded accordingly.....

Edited by suzook12

1 minute ago, Andy135 said:

Been busy. Nice work 👍

Cheers dude. Not come out bad at all. Few things I would do different if it was a customers, like laser jet cut brackets for the clamp bar. Don't really have the time though, as have machinery waiting to be collected.

Will make the deck slightly narrower at a later date so can be stored on its side, but for now I need it useable

3 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

Deck is all nailed down, will post some pics later.

Looks like I need a dropper plate for the forby as front wheels barely on the floor..... Maybe even spacers under the axles....

Can you put a spacer beneath the tow hitch to level it up? Drop plates are bad, they put torsion on the hitch that it’s not designed for. 

10 minutes ago, JonC said:

Can you put a spacer beneath the tow hitch to level it up? Drop plates are bad, they put torsion on the hitch that it’s not designed for. 

Looks like 4x4's are designed to run with adjustable drop plates, so that's what it'll be getting.....

I did consider a spacer under the coupler, but that would alter the brake rod angles and may upset the workings, hence why I considered spacers under the axles. Looks like it's easily solved for £50 though....

1 hour ago, suzook12 said:

Looks like 4x4's are designed to run with adjustable drop plates, so that's what it'll be getting.....

I did consider a spacer under the coupler, but that would alter the brake rod angles and may upset the workings, hence why I considered spacers under the axles. Looks like it's easily solved for £50 though....

The only draw back with packing out the axle is that if you want to use a different tow vehicle then the problem is then commuted. Maybe a decent adjustable drop plate with proper staves would be best . 

6 minutes ago, JonC said:

The only draw back with packing out the axle is that if you want to use a different tow vehicle then the problem is then commuted. Maybe a decent adjustable drop plate with proper staves would be best . 

Yep, that's pretty much my thinking.... The downside of 4x4's I guess.

It's going out as is tomorrow anyway, well apart from tweaking the 7 pin socket.... Needs must an all that

Will hopefully get some coarse and sea fishing in next week and minimal workshop time seeing as the lad is off.... Will get him to spray the iveco wings ready to refit tho, and he has his kx engine to strip...

So, as can be seen, new deck is on. Bit of a faff, but £60 worth of drill bits and sundries and its good to go.... Fitted rear reflectors too....

There is gap all round each board, and they were set apart by using worn slitting discs between the 2 boards (1mm thick discs) so they can expand/contract a bit without distorting or buckling.

Still got to run around the outside to break off the excess screw lengths, but it's now useable.

1574889211_trailerdeck1.jpg.d6832f61ae7c98aa269cb2e91808f72d.jpg

1668218396_trailerdeck2.jpg.acca9977eeff0a5b2d3b91e66df837c5.jpg

Next big job will be to remake the headboard and add lashing rings so it can be used for motorcycles. Will possibly make a drop in frame to hold front wheels.

Then I have to make new side and tail boards, but all in good time.......

Can carry this project thread on if anyone wants to see the further progress, though apart from front marker lights, the original project is complete.....