Trailer Electrics

suzook12

Right, although not a boat, it's boat related. I have just bought a flat bed trailer that has the usual intermittant lights etc, so thought I would do a mini project for those that may be interested.....

image.png.c24eaca74909bba7d1ef9c2f89161f7a.png

As you can see, it has the usual cheapo light units. I have just been out and bought some new LED light units, cable, junction box etc...

I have also got to make/buy a number plate bracket and add number plate lighting.

I want to put a new bed on it at somepoint and make it safe for 3000Kg useage. So if people want me to continue it on here as a project, I will, but will stick with the lights/electrics for now........

LED lights are the way to go. My Ifor GP trailer has them together with LED marker lights and they terminate to 13pin socket on the front of the trailer chassis on the left hand side of the A frame. I then connect Jeep to trailer with a short sub cable with plugs at both ends.  It works a treat and keeps the electrics dry snd secure.

1 hour ago, suzook12 said:

image.png.9cd66978b87abeb19e5f886bd9027058.png

Todays shopping, few more bits n pieces to go yet..... Hard to believe theres £60 there, but lights have lifetime guarantee......

Those junction boxes are very good, I had one on my last trailer, and it never let in any water over the 20+ years that I had it.

26 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Those junction boxes are very good, I had one on my last trailer, and it never let in any water over the 20+ years that I had it.

Yeah, I used them on my boat trailer refurb on the other site a while ago, good stuff

Just replaced my boat trailer lights. They come in fully sealed waterproof led versions (mine with 8m cable) from about $70 or 35 quid fully wired. 

After replacing them I found I still had the same issue where one of the break lights didn't work!!!!!....should of simply checked the vehicle connection first!!!  Turned out to be a simple case of the inox spray I used on the connection had attracted dirt and dust which once cleaned off with a spray of wd40 worked perfect. At least I have a fully working spare set of lights now :classic_unsure:

7 hours ago, JDP said:

Just replaced my boat trailer lights. They come in fully sealed waterproof led versions (mine with 8m cable) from about $70 or 35 quid fully wired. 

After replacing them I found I still had the same issue where one of the break lights didn't work!!!!!....should of simply checked the vehicle connection first!!!  Turned out to be a simple case of the inox spray I used on the connection had attracted dirt and dust which once cleaned off with a spray of wd40 worked perfect. At least I have a fully working spare set of lights now :classic_unsure:

Ok, do you have a pin for each side brake lights then? Bit different to our 7 and 13 pin plugs

So made a start today by removing the old lights.....

Behind the light units I found this!....

image.png.d8bcd594ff02f195e9e1c814263d704a.png

Thinking, f**k.... Here we go again. So stripped the wood to check the whole frame over, and apart from a bit of delam here n there, all good. Importantly the important bits were all solid

image.png.12d13658f3f8defa85139028894dfcd7.png

I did manage to remove all these land rover parts......

image.png.7325a267deffb753e3b202a7f9493d37.png

Tidy up with a grinder and a tin of paint and will look a different trailer.... Off to get some metal and phenolic board in the morning......

9 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Those Landy parts are less corroded than most. Stick em on eBay quick! 🤣

They do look remarkably similar to the parts removed in a wheelbarrow years ago from my old RR. Geoff.

On 5/14/2021 at 6:11 PM, suzook12 said:

Ok, do you have a pin for each side brake lights then? Bit different to our 7 and 13 pin plugs

No, that's what made me think it was needing replacing, both break wires into the same connection were fine. When it went in for its equivalent of an MOT (we have to have on trailers in our state) the mechanic fitted a new connecter and said the lights were stuffed!!! Bought the new ones and still had the same issue until I sprayed wd40 into the vehicle connection holes and wiggled it about a few times. We have the option of the round connector or the flat one like this, the flat now being the most common. I believe the top row are for the trailer lights and the bottom is to do with trailer breaks.

IMG_3856.thumb.jpg.5ab2662e6d142d49afe0cc51248837bd.jpg

Ok cool, not seen those ones before..... People keep telling me how much superior the 13 pin plug is over the 7 pin, I have yet to have a pre wired plug as supplied with vehicle actually work! So sticking with 7 pin plugs for now.....

6 hours ago, suzook12 said:

Ok cool, not seen those ones before..... People keep telling me how much superior the 13 pin plug is over the 7 pin, I have yet to have a pre wired plug as supplied with vehicle actually work! So sticking with 7 pin plugs for now.....

Yep, the 13 pin UK version (only 7 pins fitted) is definitely a superior plug, both electrically and mechanically.

I fit a 7 - 13 adaptor to plug into the Jeep, and it is always the 7 pin side of the adaptor that fails, so I keep a spare in the car(cheap £2). The failure is usually tarnishing, and dirty pins, probably due to the cheap metal they use. Next time I change the socket on the Jeep it will be 13 pin.

Got a bit done today, picked galvafroid paint up and some brushes, finished trimming the new underrun bar and got some paint on some of the trailer. No pics as phone was out of charge, but have the lights fitted to the bar and the junction box attached. Will get some pics tomorrow. Now have a Yam 90 to service either this or next week too now....

So today I got the phenolic boards cut, sealed the edges with fibreglass resin. The steelwork where the boards will fit has had paint applied. Number plate holder mostly made and welded, number plate lights still not arrived. Just got to get some 5 or 6mm round bar and can then actually start wiring it...

1 minute ago, Andy135 said:

5mm round bar seems a bit OTT for the wiring Steve.

Haha, ya think??

It's for the modified fuses.......... 🤣

No, it's to run around the trailer as a clamp bar to cable tie the wiring to, keeps it nice and tidy and protected