Forum upgrade coming soon

Andy135

Hi all,

Within the next week or so we'll be upgrading to a new version of our forum software, which offers a range of security, stability and functionality improvements. In particular this will bring web-based push notifications to users direct to the home screen of your phone, even if your browser is closed or you're not on the Offshore Outlaws forum pages. This is a significant benefit - no more need to open your browser just to check how many Likes your post got, for example.

When the upgrade is complete you'll be given the opportunity to opt in/out of mobile notifications the next time you log in. As I understand it these notifications will not work for IOS users however due to a restriction on web-based push notifications from Apple themselves. Wanted to call this out in advance to avoid disappointment 🙂

The forum upgrade took place today. Let me know if you see anything strange or out of place and I'll look into it.

For those of us who stay logged in you won't automatically be prompted about web-based push notifications, so you can activate them manually in the Notifications settings under Account/Account Settings/Notification Settings then scroll down to find the Notification Types Available options, and select Push.

kiCQJoF.jpg

On 6/10/2021 at 4:10 PM, JonC said:

You wouldn’t believe me If I told you the hours I’ve put into writing this new software. 

Just now, JonC said:

And this new software keeps moving my posts about. 

Don't blame me Jon. You wrote the software remember?!

We'll shortly be testing out some of the new Achievements functionality that arrived with the recent upgrade. You'll notice some additions to profiles and some automated rules for earning Badges and Ranks. All feedback welcome.

Ranks were already available, we use them on pbsbac for instance new posters get to level "dogfish" so don't post to much over there or you will lose that tag

Edited by Maverick

9 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Ranks were already available, we use them on pbsbac for instance new posters get to level "dogfish" so don't post to much over there or you will lose that tag

They were, and we'd previously turned them off over here. However they're now an integral part of the new Achievements functionality in 4.6.0 and I haven't yet found a way to turn them off in isolation, so we'll be experimenting with them for now.