Why did you get into boating?

Andy135

As the title says, why did you get into boating?

For me it was the desire to get to better marks for fishing. I consider myself an angler first, boater second - the boat was a means to catch more fish... if only it actually worked out that way in reality 😪  #whatablanker...

What about you?

I got into fishing young, we used to have a touring caravan and as kids we would fish the rivers or lakes at the campsites. We would go to Cornwall every year and one year we went out on a ‘Deepsea’ fishing trip from Newquay. Amonotbe fish caught were pollock, pouting, strap conger and dog fish. But I had an amazing run on my rod, the reel was one of those old Center pin things that you turn sideways. After a bit of a battle (I was about 7 years old) I dragged up this lobster looking thing that was called a crawfish. It was about 2’ long. I was well chuffed with it, took it with me and sold it to a restaurant in the town for £7 which in the early 80’s was quite a lot. I remember seeing sunfish swimming past and being amazed at what can be there at any time. 
That was it for me, sea fishing was the way forward. I carried on fresh water fishing for 10 years or so because it was so much more accessible and easier for a kid. Occasionally I’d fish Southend pier but that was only good for flounder it seemed. My dad always had sailing boats, we did a bit of fishing off them but it wasn’t ideal. 
My uncle bought a colvic seaworker that he got bored with and gave to me. It was a be lovely old boat, slow but very safe. I had some major engine problems with it and at the time I had a new baby a half built house and started a new business so I sold it as a going concern for silly money. 
After that I went in charters, we always seemed to do alright but I never felt the sense of achievement being put on the fish, told what bait what tactics etc. I like to blank in my own way. 
I bought a cheap open dory when I moved to the coast but as often the case it was just frustrating having a boat that never really worked properly that I wasn’t comfortable going any distance in. 
Now I have my current boat I feel a lot safer and confident going out. I still don’t catch much but that don’t bother me none so long as I’m out there. 

6 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Seems like your more of a boater than an angler Jon. 
it’s nice to hear about your boating history, normally your just a shady tosspot that never lets his guard down ! 
well done 👍🏻

i may have just copied and pasted that from someone else’s ill written post somewhere 

Have fished since about the age of 7/8 with my Grandfather on the local canal

He never had a clue about fishing, so I never had much of a chance in the early years

I can't remember ever catching anything, but at least it taught me to be patient

Progressed to the local river up to the age of about 14 then discovered alcohol and girls (that discovery is up there with penicillin to me)

Started back up in my early 20's when my father and his mates were going regularly, sea fishing never appealed to me as I thought it was all big stiff rods (ooer) massive hooks and lacked any finesse, but after my first trip with them I was converted

We formed a small club and went on charters once a month out of Penarth and from then on, always said me and the old man would get a boat between us

That never happened and after he died in 2006 I though fk it, I'll buy one

For various reasons it took me 5 years to get a 20ft Wilson Flyer which I sold on a few yrs later and got a 23ft Bayliner, which I sold last year to get my current (and probably last) boat

Still do a bit of fly fishing when a gang of us fish a memorial day for the old man, which involves fishing til 12 (usually on a localish stock pond) back to the pub for a presentation, barbecue and a good swig

As for fishing or boating first, used to be fishing but may be swaying towards boating

Hard one to call, my dad was into fishing and small boats when I was very young. Needless to say I got into fishing and boats at an easly age.... All fresh water mind.

My dad had a wooden row boat that he needed to sell, apparently I jumped in it and refused to get out screaming it was my boat and they weren't taking it.... About 4 maybe....

Anyway, as time passed my Dad had a SIB with a seagull, I had an inflateable that I loved and would go miles on the ouse network with it. At this point, there was no combination of boats and fishing..... That came later....

I didnt get in to sea fishing until early 20's, and shortly after a work mate whose dad had a boat, invited me out tope fishing..... 30 years on, and "almost" got a seaworthy boat to take out.....

I was about 4 when I started fishing with my dad.  He built a small boat similar to the Poole Canoe which is a flat bottom boat.  There was a seagull 2or3hp outboard on it to start with he then upgraded to a seagull silver century 5hp with clutch and recoil starter OOOOH I here you say but in those day that was a major upgrade.  We generally only ever fished Poole Harbour but as a kid I had a blast. I have been fishing ever since and since the age of 18ish I have hardly ever been without a boat of some description as follows:

18' cornish sports boat, 10' With, 17 Pilot, 18' Poole Canoe, Hardy 17' Fisherman, Warrior 195, Karnic 2460 and now my current boat Rodman 870, it took me about 45 years to get through all those boats but apparently Neil got through that many in a month :classic_biggrin:

3 hours ago, suzook12 said:

Spelling was too good mate 🤣

Did you find a new coil in the finish mate?

have got pauls, charger, ignition coil. all new, i am chaseing a new cdi . then i will get the coil with plug leads ( new ) tan that should larst a life time

1 hour ago, captin slows old outlaw said:

have got pauls, charger, ignition coil. all new, i am chaseing a new cdi . then i will get the coil with plug leads ( new ) tan that should larst a life time

Going all out then mate...... Fair do's 👍

Started to serious shore fish at 11 years old in Knab Rock Swansea.

My folks had a caravan next to the beach so in school holidays would fish every day..... surf beach fishing for flounder bass and mullet...

stopped shore fishing at 16 as I became more and more into surfing to a high standard. 

I used to crew out of mumbles as a teenager in the winter for cod. You turned up, asked around a few times and helped out launching retrieving boats until you got offered a trip.... had some nice catches around Swansea. 

only got back into shore fishing when I moved to Cambridge, went to see the sea at Aldebrugh, saw them catching cod and old the spark was kindled! 

shortly after moved to Birmingham and went back to South Wales on the shore and charters out of Cardiff and Swansea on Rob Rennie’s boat. We used to leave Cardiff at 6pm so I’d bunk off work at 4, leg it to boat and then we’d get back into Cardiff at 4am before I drove back to midlands and get to bed at 6am.....

I also did Saturday trips on another charter called Benjoma Too. Sadly the skipper Paul Crossman passed away yesterday. Top skipper, bit crusty but once you got to know him was a gentleman.

Later on I moved back to Wales, first thing was buy a boat.... ran an Orkney Pilothouse for 4 years before wanting to go bigger..... 

Having separated from the ex the idea was an offshore 25 or osprey 26/28 for weekends and sharks....

Somwhow I ended up with an Evolution 30 from Rob which was the first boat I had fished off for 15 years.... She was a tip but a summer of fixing up and away I went! Later that summer it was a trip down memory lane fishing and the same marks I used to within out of Swansea and in the winter from Cardiff. She now follows her larger cousin in Milford. Rob always gets excited when to see her..... I left the keys with him to refuel for me. I noticed on my AIS track that he had a little run around the haven too 🤣🤣🤣

It used to be fishing first. These days I love to tinker with boats and boating but I prefer the fishing. However the boat is great to sleep over, weekend on around Swansea/Milford, go sharking/reefing but still go snorkelling in the haven before a nice pub meal and a pint in Marina.....

I almost called my boat Wanderlust as I have a real sense of adventure always wanting to know what’s around the corner, but there was a sail not called that so she was called Odyssey instead as that’s what I’m on. An odyssey to see what’s next on my travels 🙂 

Edited by Odyssey

Loved being on boats since the age of 4 (51 years ago). It was sort of a way of baby sitting for my parents who regularly dropped me onboard a friend of theirs boat. I soon found every weekend and school holiday was on some kind of local boat, most charters out of Yarmouth IOW. When I was 10 I stayed on one boat for two weeks solid in the school hols working as tea boy and boat scrubber!!! Now I still enjoy playing on the water and feeling how differently boats handle in por conditions (unless they are slammers!!). My last boat was a little zodiac 550 pro and extreme fun in poor sea conditions. With a 25'degree hull these things even land softly after jumping off waves at speed. Im really lucky in the fact I have many contacts and boats I can hop on if I don't feel like getting my own out.

At the age of around 10 I’d heard of this bloke called Jon from the IOW. He was a nut for boats and had had a few.  That was my inspiration. To own more boats than JonD. Not sure if I’m quite there yet but will keep trading. 
Oh and I used to go boating with my dad who sent me to sailing school at 11 where I sailed single handed to the IOW after my second lesson. My dad had a mirror dingy which we used to sail in the bay that my home looks out over now. He would be mad for it and go sailing in hurricanes and thunder storms. It was fun tbh. After that he had a 5m inflatable, not a rib but a big old heavy black rubber thing. Used to stink, but we caught some big fat flounders from it. 
That was it, I was hooked. And I’ve been wasting money on boats ever since. If I totalled up how much I’ve spent I could probably retire tomorrow. But where’s the fun in that ? I’d much rather be working for the next 20 years and have boats along the way 👍🏻

2 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

At the age of around 10 I’d heard of this bloke called Jon from the IOW. He was a nut for boats and had had a few.  That was my inspiration. To own more boats than JonD. Not sure if I’m quite there yet but will keep trading. 
Oh and I used to go boating with my dad who sent me to sailing school at 11 where I sailed single handed to the IOW after my second lesson. My dad had a mirror dingy which we used to sail in the bay that my home looks out over now. He would be mad for it and go sailing in hurricanes and thunder storms. It was fun tbh. After that he had a 5m inflatable, not a rib but a big old heavy black rubber thing. Used to stink, but we caught some big fat flounders from it. 
That was it, I was hooked. And I’ve been wasting money on boats ever since. If I totalled up how much I’ve spent I could probably retire tomorrow. But where’s the fun in that ? I’d much rather be working for the next 20 years and have boats along the way 👍🏻

I went through so many because most were rotten!!!..bit like many of the rust bucket cars I owned when I lived there. None were what I would now call decent boats. Thinking back on how my parents left me with people they barely new, even left me in a tent for two days when I was 4 at the IOW pop festival!!!!...Now the shoe is on the other foot and Ive abandoned them !!! 

That search for a great little boat that ticks all the boxes is an addictive one, I'm already looking at different boats having only owned my current one a few months. A boat that fits for towing long distances, handles offshore conditions and can still be used on shallow sheltered waters is hard to find. I also want something fast that won't use much fuel but most importantly have room to fish with JonC one day 🙃

Edited by JDP

7 minutes ago, JDP said:

I went through so many because most were rotten!!!..bit like many of the rust bucket cars I owned when I lived there. None were what I would now call decent boats. Thinking back on how my parents left me with people they barely new, even left me in a tent for two days when I was 4 at the IOW pop festival!!!!...Now the shoe is on the other foot and Ive abandoned them !!! 

Oh dear.... didn’t mean to open up old wounds...

52 minutes ago, JDP said:

That search for a great little boat that ticks all the boxes is an addictive one, I'm already looking at different boats having only owned my current one a few months. A boat that fits for towing long distances, handles offshore conditions and can still be used on shallow sheltered waters is hard to find. I also want something fast that won't use much fuel but most importantly have room to fish with JonC one day 🙃

You’ll need an F’ing big boat then !

19 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

You’ll need an F’ing big boat then !

Had three on the drive not so long ago, funny thing was that the smallest 3.85m boat was the most used and caught the most fish simply because it was so capable of inshore fishing.

The 5.4m boat I now have has a variable deadrise of 33'degrees, so slices rough water quite reasonably but also sits deep in the water for great stability at rest. The 150 litre fuel tank with the Suzuki 140 gives me 2km per litre, so a pretty decent offshore range. I find that once over 4200 rpm the fuel range per litre barely changes, yes it's burning more per hour at 5500rpm but km per litre remains much the same. Will post in the boat pics section.