Boat Registered

suzook12

1 minute ago, Andy135 said:

No excuse not to post a catch report or two then! 😉

Best open up a coarse section then lol.

Soon as the name/reg# stickers are done, will have it out for an engine test, then can start using it for fishing

Had boat out today, bit of a clusterf*ck, but hey ho......

Straight off, forgot to fill the tank on the engine before setting off. Surprising how far a 4HP can go on a cupfull! Just to top it off, forgot to put the funnel in the boat, so we ended up rowing back against the wind and got the funnel and filled her up.

Set off again and motor cut out. Reckon we may have sucked some shite up with running out and blocked a jet as refused to restart, so, rowed back again.

Good practice for loading/unloading the boat in a cross wind though.......

Will give the carb a clean and drain the tank during the week and maybe give it another go next weekend.......

7 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

Straight off, forgot to fill the tank on the engine before setting off. Surprising how far a 4HP can go on a cupfull! Just to top it off, forgot to put the funnel in the boat, so we ended up rowing back against the wind and got the funnel and filled her up.

Set off again and motor cut out. Reckon we may have sucked some shite up with running out and blocked a jet as refused to restart, so, rowed back again.

Will give the carb a clean and drain the tank during the week and maybe give it another go next weekend.......

Well, that sounds like a comedy of errors but fair play for fessing up and posting it all. 🤣👍

42 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

Where is the YouTube link for the vid ..............🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Yeah, it had that snowball effect...... Would rather get them all out of the way while on the river, going tidal would have been a whole different level of clusterf*ck.....

Funnily enough, a bloke was chatting to us as we were getting ready to launch. He is waiting for his outboard to be repaired and wanted to see how the slipway was so was watching us. I did thank him for the added pressure lol

Had a look at the outboard today, talk about making assumptions!!! You would thing with it running for 10 minutes that it was pumping water wouldn't you.... Well I was wrong. took the cover plates off to give it a clean and unblock the pee hole having just ran it up in a bin..... Bone fricking dry!!! Guess using fully synthetic 2T oil has got me out of a hole here....

The whole lot was a bit crusty so stripped further to check the thermostat, that looks seized solid but will test it tomorrow maybe..... New impellor and gaskets coming up and some fresh gearbox oil.....

Trouble when people overlook basic maintenance such as flushing an engine after use. Not so much an issue when they are regularly used but when they are left for weeks between runs those thermostats and cooling systems will block up. 

I recently had one with a totally blocked powerhead and thermostat which I managed to soak the system through the powerhead anodes using salt-away. After an hour the solid salt had softened enough to dig out of the anode holes on the head so l could pour more of the solution into the head. The thermostat salt dissolved like a slushy in the sun and I soon had the powerhead flowing again. I left one of the powerhead anodes out and ran the engine pumping more salt-away through the muffs allowing the water to flow out of the anode hole rather than try to pump the dissolving salt through the pee hole. I believe vinegar works well dissolving salt according to Clinker but not sure what ratio he mentioned ( was a few years ago now).

It's handy to always carry a short length of heavy mono to poke up the pee hole if any small bits of debris block it. Some engines pump at quite high pressure and the pee hose can blow off from inside the cowl, which can end up filling the engine with saltwater from inside the cowling if not careful. 

1 hour ago, JDP said:

Trouble when people overlook basic maintenance such as flushing an engine after use. Not so much an issue when they are regularly used but when they are left for weeks between runs those thermostats and cooling systems will block up. 

I recently had one with a totally blocked powerhead and thermostat which I managed to soak the system through the powerhead anodes using salt-away. After an hour the solid salt had softened enough to dig out of the anode holes on the head so l could pour more of the solution into the head. The thermostat salt dissolved like a slushy in the sun and I soon had the powerhead flowing again. I left one of the powerhead anodes out and ran the engine pumping more salt-away through the muffs allowing the water to flow out of the anode hole rather than try to pump the dissolving salt through the pee hole. I believe vinegar works well dissolving salt according to Clinker but not sure what ratio he mentioned ( was a few years ago now).

It's handy to always carry a short length of heavy mono to poke up the pee hole if any small bits of debris block it. Some engines pump at quite high pressure and the pee hose can blow off from inside the cowl, which can end up filling the engine with saltwater from inside the cowling if not careful. 

Yep. this motor was "new" to me, so before throwing money at it wanted to make sure it was a viable motor. I am amazed it never seized up, we ran it up in a bin to start for a few minutes, no untoward noises or getting hot, so took it to the river where we ran it for 10 minutes at varying revs and it never complained once. What can be seen of the piston through the exhaust cover looks good, but it was absolutely bone dry......

Have dug a lot of the crusty crap out (it's been used in fresh rather than salt), my local shop is advertising nearly everything I need on ebay so will get the parts ordered tomorrow/Tuesday and while waiting for them find a way of flushing it all out. Get this one done and dusted then have an evinrude to put through the process, which will be my aux on the bigger boat if it proves successful.

2 minutes ago, captin slows old outlaw said:

come on come klean you were over exsited to get on the water again

Maybe once the 55 is fully serviced and hanging off of the back of something that will tackle salty stuff 🤣

Had a session on the spanners today. The outboard has had all gearbox seals replaced, new impellor and housing fitted and lower all boxed up again.

Just got to refill gearbox with some fresh then put the top end back together complete with new thermostat.....

Took a while as had to spin up some seal pushers to use on the press and had to chop the driveshaft seals out as the circlip holding the pinion on was not shifting....

Need some stainless split pins as well. All in all, not a bad day. Should have it done tomorrow and hopefully the strimmer back together and working so it can go home...

Next week am planning to get sanding........

For a motor thats coming up 40 years old and been run dry, she sounds pretty sweet I reckon..... Hopefully have the boat out later this week and give it a proper test.

Just got to check the Yam today to make sure I've cured the fuel leak, then that will be ready for it's prospective new owner. Maybe the 18 next, or thr rude 25, get those 2 done and gone and will be getting somewhere..... May even get to do some sanding today.......

The Yam has been giving me some greif, sorted the fuel leak, tipped fuel in and it pissed everywhere.... Pipe had broken at tap. Had a rummage and found some pipe. Jobs a good un, bloke coming tomorrow to buy it and another waiting in the wings....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8Psv6L0uKE