Crappy year.

DINOBOY

Anyone else getting the feeling this year is a bum one for fishing? Virtually zero bait out there, very little mackerel 30 in two sessions morning and eve but all large fish. Virtually no launce about, very little on my usual good pollack marks! 

It's definitely been a strange one. Plenty of sandeels round our way but I don't think I've caught a bass all year so far. Managed one mackerel so far this year and I wasnt even aiming for them - it took a sliver of squid on a bream rig.

Those factory trawlers that were scouring the Channel last summer won't have helped this season's fishing at all.

Edited to say that I'll move this over to General rather than Catch Reports, given that we're grumbling about not catching 🤣

mackerel very few and far between they were in in good numbers in June last year - piers, shore and even in the harbour - nothing close in at all in Weymouth.

other fishing has been ok though - Smoothounds, Tope , spurdogs, rays, conger, bream, plenty of doggies,   etc

I think its just late, I work in landscaping and the season is around 4-5 weeks behind - due to the cold spring we had. hopefully the mackerel will come, and the other fish will follow!!

3 hours ago, DINOBOY said:

Yeah that is a fair point lads, I just want a box of Macy’s for chum so I can go sharking! I’m going this avo so we will see if I can winkle a few fish out. 👌👍

There are a good few out there but in tight shoals. What we is is go to a mark where we know they should be, and then troll tinsels on 2 rods until we find them, then stop and fish over / follow the shoal.  

A 3 or 4oz cannon ball works well for trolling at idle speeds.

Edited by GPSguru

in all seriousness, what is the best method for trolling feathers for mackerel - 2ish knots? 4oz cannon ball? what length of line do you let out? I guess you have to vary the depths - benefit of having 2 rods .... but any pointers much appreciated

anyone use a paravane or anything similar?

I used to use a handline as a kid. Once we hit one, we stopped and jigged vertically. 

abour 4-6oz lead on the end of a set of feathers worked well 🙂 

These days I can’t find them 😞

1 hour ago, Odyssey said:

I used to use a handline as a kid. Once we hit one, we stopped and jigged vertically. 

abour 4-6oz lead on the end of a set of feathers worked well 🙂 

These days I can’t find them 😞

Been using multiple sets on the old hand lines with a 4lb plummet lead on the bottom  so when going ahead at idle the gear stays down and not streaming away and still very little activity 😞

Edited by DINOBOY

15 hours ago, mike farrants said:

in all seriousness, what is the best method for trolling feathers for mackerel - 2ish knots? 4oz cannon ball? what length of line do you let out? I guess you have to vary the depths - benefit of having 2 rods .... but any pointers much appreciated

anyone use a paravane or anything similar?

Depends on depth of water. Today I was trolling a string of 5 tinsels using a 5oz cannonball lead and letting about 50yd of line. The troll speed was a little over 2 knt against the tide and 3.4knts with the tide, but we caught Mack in both directions. The water depth was 35 - 55ft and the tinsels never hit the bottom, but I guess they were well down in the water column.

Cannonball leads are great because they don't spin, Aquapedo's also work well.

Edited by GPSguru

9 hours ago, GPSguru said:

Depends on depth of water. Today I was trolling a string of 5 tinsels using a 5oz cannonball lead and letting about 50yd of line. The troll speed was a little over 2 knt against the tide and 3.4knts with the tide, but we caught Mack in both directions. The water depth was 35 - 55ft and the tinsels never hit the bottom, but I guess they were well down in the water column.

Cannonball leads are great because they don't spin, Aquapedo's also work well.

Awesome - thanks! guess what ill be trying when the mackies aren't in their usual spot!

wish i'd tried last night now - instead I went to the stone pier and pulled up 5 or 6 million pout and 1 scorpion fish! all on light gear!

Years ago (35ish) when we fished charters out of West Bay, Dorset, we used to tow feathers behind the boat on the way out to the mark. We would have been travelling at around 4 knts with at least a pound of lead but we always caught enough on the way out to last the day for bait.

On 7/21/2021 at 9:39 PM, Dicky said:

Years ago (35ish) when we fished charters out of West Bay, Dorset, we used to tow feathers behind the boat on the way out to the mark. We would have been travelling at around 4 knts with at least a pound of lead but we always caught enough on the way out to last the day for bait.

Those were the days my friend - we thought they'd never end - those were the days. Mary Hopkins. A far nicer song than most of the stuff that is posted on here!!! Geoff.:classic_wink: