Trailer boats

Odyssey

That must have been dragged for several miles to have worn away that amount as the leg would have been bouncing up and down.  I think that round here with our soft topped tarmac roads it would have just left a nice little slot in the road, unless of course it was locked into reverse gear!!! When towing, as well as blocking (tilt the leg up and insert a block) the leg I put a strap under the tilted drive up to the stern deck cleats just in case something causes the the block to move. The same applies for outboards as for outdrives. Mind you I have to admit that I have not done much towing in the last couple of years. Still very sad to see it. Geoff.

1 hour ago, JDP said:

Saw that posted a few days ago over here, thought it was a local boat.

That could be or American Jon, those trailer wheels and number plate do not look like a UK trailer to me. Geoff. 

Edited by Geoff

13 minutes ago, Geoff said:

That could be or American Jon, those trailer wheels and number plate do not look like a UK trailer to me. Geoff. 

I just assumed it was the state I just bought my boat from as they have the blue on white plates but like you say it may be the US as the plate if on the left.

I think to be fair, thats a fake photo, I reckon someone has cut it with a disc cutter. To get everything ground flush like that without ripping big lumps out would take several hundred miles, and for it to keep in contac with the road while 6-10 inches are ground off it's length...... Would take some doing, and for it not to be noticed??

I do t know, just saw it on Facebook (so must be true right?! 🤣

As I’ve struggled to find a trailer big enough for my boat I just thought I’d oust to promote discussion. 

I’ll let the experts decide if it’s real…

However, full marks to @Geoff for the sound advice 🙂 I see outboards bouncing in back of trailers when driving down the M4 to west wales and it makes me wince every time I see it….. 😢😢😢

9 hours ago, suzook12 said:

I think to be fair, thats a fake photo, I reckon someone has cut it with a disc cutter. To get everything ground flush like that without ripping big lumps out would take several hundred miles, and for it to keep in contac with the road while 6-10 inches are ground off it's length...... Would take some doing, and for it not to be noticed??

I did wonder how another driver hadn't seen it and let the driver know but thinking how we often drive for hours, even days to spots to fish and rarely pass another vehicle then yes quite possibly. Also if the driver is anything like people I know here towing boats you wouldn't stand much chance of getting past them. One of my last bigger trips (3 day drive) My engine support bounce off the trailer but stayed attached to the engine, when I stopped after hearing it going through a quiet remote town it had worn from around 4ft to 1.5ft. I was lucky to of not done engine damage as it was pushing from the road up under the engine.

In the case of the picture above, I did wonder if perhaps someone may of been deliberately doing it to make an insurance claim on a damaged gearbox. In saying that I can head down to my local ramp today and almost guarantee seeing someone drive off dragging there skeg. It tends to happen often here because almost every boater drives their boats on and off trailers, once the trailer is driven out of the water, unless you remember to trim up it happens quite easily. 

1 minute ago, JDP said:

I did wonder how another driver hadn't seen it and let the driver know but thinking how we often drive for hours, even days to spots to fish and rarely pass another vehicle then yes quite possibly. Also if the driver is anything like people I know here towing boats you wouldn't stand much chance of getting past them. One of my last bigger trips (3 day drive) My engine support bounce off the trailer but stayed attached to the engine, when I stopped after hearing it going through a quiet remote town it had worn from around 4ft to 1.5ft. I was lucky to of not done engine damage as it was pushing from the road up under the engine.

In the case of the picture above, I did wonder if perhaps someone may of been deliberately doing it to make an insurance claim on a damaged gearbox. In saying that I can head down to my local ramp today and almost guarantee seeing someone drive off dragging there skeg. It tends to happen often here because almost every boater drives their boats on and off trailers, once the trailer is driven out of the water, unless you remember to trim up it happens quite easily. 

My though was that you would have to be jacking the boat 6-10 inches off of the trailer to be able to do that. And to grind hardened steel internals down like that would take hundreds if not thousands of miles. Surely you would notice jacking the boat that high off of the trailer?

There's one thing that makes me think it's real, and that's the fact that the prop metal shows a smearing effect from the abrasion of the tarmac. A disc cutter couldn't produce this.

qHd7ROD.jpg

11 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

There's one thing that makes me think it's real, and that's the fact that the prop metal shows a smearing effect from the abrasion of the tarmac. A disc cutter couldn't produce this.

qHd7ROD.jpg

Certainly can and does mate........ Those edges in my mind are too clean and straight. that prop's blades would be bent well out of shape, the cast ally would have lumps ripped out of it amd I'm sure you'd notice your boat sitting that much too high off of the trailer and would'nt be particularly stable......

29 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

qHd7ROD.jpg

He could of possibly had bad seals on his trim, in saying that most people chock their motors up to travel. There are a fair few who get on the piss pretty hard while out fishing and in quite locations they still get away with it on the roads.