Black cat

JDP

Just been out in a remote location and spotted a large black cat. Not as big as a leopard but certainly bigger than any feral cat Ive seen (or caught )here, longer than a fox and about the same height. It looked to be in excellent condition and I would estimate around 16-18kg. It stayed in front of me on a trail for around 6 seconds at 20-30m away before heading into the bush where I lost sight of it. The area is a wet low land area in dense bush (forrest) where I often see small swamp wallabies which I would imagine it hunts in this area. Im now charging my trail camera and will try to bait it to the camera (hopefully) if it uses this area regularly. Feral cats are common and often adapt to growing around double the size of domestic cats and their heads change shape to a more power larger scull, Ive caught these in traps before but todays sighting was a class of cat well above those. Im pretty excited and not something I was expecting to see.

6 hours ago, JDP said:

Just been out in a remote location and spotted a large black cat. Not as big as a leopard but certainly bigger than any feral cat Ive seen (or caught )here, longer than a fox and about the same height. It looked to be in excellent condition and I would estimate around 16-18kg. It stayed in front of me on a trail for around 6 seconds at 20-30m away before heading into the bush where I lost sight of it. The area is a wet low land area in dense bush (forrest) where I often see small swamp wallabies which I would imagine it hunts in this area. Im now charging my trail camera and will try to bait it to the camera (hopefully) if it uses this area regularly. Feral cats are common and often adapt to growing around double the size of domestic cats and their heads change shape to a more power larger scull, Ive caught these in traps before but todays sighting was a class of cat well above those. Im pretty excited and not something I was expecting to see.

What could that be? Do you get mountain lions over there?

4 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

What could that be? Do you get mountain lions over there?

Don’t encourage him he clearly doesn’t need it. 
Jon, there are people that can help you. 

Domestic cats were brought here by the first settlers, where many thrived in the native bush. Over the last 200 years they have survived so well that their wild breeding has seen an increase in their size to around 5ft long and 20kg one weight https://knowledgenuts.com/2014/04/27/australias-giant-feral-cats/

This one that I saw today is as big as any feral cat Ive ever seen and the camera is now set. I will re-bate the area in 4 days and swap the memory card over. My daughter who's a far better hunter and tracker headed out with me this afternoon and managed to find some pretty large paw prints in mud (can't post as the images are on my phone and to big to load on this site ) Is there an easy way to drop the size from an iPhone image without having to load them on my main computer and re-size in photoshop. She also found found scats either from a fox or the cat containing bones and teeth within 100m of the sighting.

Feral cats do considerable damage to native wildlife, if I get any chance this one will be turned into another of the many skins and skulls we have at home. 

I contacted a local mountain bike club that have numerous cameras on trails in the area to ask if they had any sightings, which they hadn't but a cyclist had seen a large cat in that area. This is pretty exciting to know its hunting this general area, making me optimistic I will catch either on film or other means (its an area we can hunt). I was lucky enough to capture far rarer quolls just before the fires swept through almost two years ago.

11 minutes ago, JDP said:

.My daughter who's a far better hunter and tracker headed out with me this afternoon and managed to find some pretty large paw prints in mud (can't post as the images are on my phone and to big to load on this site ) Is there an easy way to drop the size from an iPhone image without having to load them on my main computer and re-size in photoshop.

@Saintly Fish found that if you edit the photo on your phone and crop or resize it slightly it usually reduces the size enough to post them.

We also have around 24 million wild pigs that don't resemble the pink pigy from the movie babe anymore. They have reverted to very larger hairy animals with very large tusks. They can do serious damage to dogs and humans if bailed up badly or injured during hunting. The eat pretty much anything and are incredibly smart, reported to be smarter than dogs which makes them a challenge at times to hunt. My daughter hunts them alone as Im to noisy for her liking. Last hunt she brought home dear the one before a large pig and before that goats. Have a google search on the feral pigs over here!!!

6 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

@Saintly Fish found that if you edit the photo on your phone and crop or resize it slightly it usually reduces the size enough to post them.

6 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Yes, edit, crop slightly. Then when you upload choose photo size at the bottom of the screen before you press “add”. 

Yes I have done that before but unfortunately I took the photos pretty close and didn't leave enough space for cropping. 

4 minutes ago, JDP said:

Yes I have done that before but unfortunately I took the photos pretty close and didn't leave enough space for cropping. 

I think the idea is that you open the edit function to get access to choose the smallest image size for resaving, so even just a single pixel edit would work, then you get the option to select the smallest file size for resaving... I think!

43 minutes ago, JDP said:

When I go into the edit on the phone I don't see any option to re-size apart from cropping. Once cropped the only option is 'done'. Just cropped one image by over half and its still to big. 

First go to edit and press this tab

0ECAAFAD-C5FF-4A0C-AB5E-F6F8BB5A2EBD.thumb.jpeg.88fd94bfb25e066d3c5cbdce9e79ee6b.jpeg

Then adjust the frame size a bit

BFC472D1-7C9F-4877-A3FF-3DFA7E44C6D2.jpeg.bd62f37df43b246dc466c51f96ad4d30.jpeg

then choose it to upload from your photo library..

once you’ve chosen the pic you want to upload, click on “show selected”

you can then choose the file size.

13CDF9BF-21EF-4C94-B08A-E88D2B73B665.jpeg

43 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

First go to edit and press this tab

0ECAAFAD-C5FF-4A0C-AB5E-F6F8BB5A2EBD.thumb.jpeg.88fd94bfb25e066d3c5cbdce9e79ee6b.jpeg

Then adjust the frame size a bit

BFC472D1-7C9F-4877-A3FF-3DFA7E44C6D2.jpeg.bd62f37df43b246dc466c51f96ad4d30.jpeg

then choose it to upload from your photo library..

once you’ve chosen the pic you want to upload, click on “show selected”

you can then choose the file size.

13CDF9BF-21EF-4C94-B08A-E88D2B73B665.jpeg

Thats what I've been doing, like I said I cropped the image by at least half and its still over 2meg down from around 7meg. My iPhone camera under settings is set as jpeg as these can still have enough detail for publishing, all I can imagine is that some of you must be using the other option of higher compression .

3 minutes ago, JDP said:

Thats what I've been doing, like I said I cropped the image by at least half and its still over 2meg down from around 7meg. My iPhone camera under settings is set as jpeg as these can still have enough detail for publishing, all I can imagine is that some of you must be using the other option of higher compression .

I don’t look at compression, I just take a photo. Even the portrait photos with better detail I can get to load. Your doing something wrong Jon. 

Just now, Saintly Fish said:

I don’t look at compression, I just take a photo. Even the portrait photos with better detail I can get to load. Your doing something wrong Jon. 

If you look at my last photo I’ve circled the image size of 7.6mb if you press on that you can change to small medium or large. 

I think the issue is coming from the fact I don't send from the phone and don't have this site on the phone as its to small and fiddly and constantly needing sign ins after each update etc.

I crop it down like you describe and then share to my notebook which works fine on other sites that allow the 2.2 its cropped to but the notebook doesn't second compress after cropping like phones do. Your image shows 7.6mb so is obviously being downsized again after cropping to get it bellow 7.6mb when you post on here, where my cropped image is just over 2.2mb from phone to notebook, then no compression from notebook to site. This is why I normally have to turn on my main computer and edit down with photoshop then to the site or shared to my notebook!!!!

I like to use just one device for these kinds of sites so I don't have to keep finding passwords for each of them after every update they do. 

Jon. if you open it in microsoft paint, use resize option then reduce around 125% Sometimes saving as BMP brings it down a bit more, sometimes I've had to go a further 25%. If you are using some type of editing suite, just reduce the resolution.

By far and away the easiest is to use Imgur or similar, upload to there then copy and paste the image share link and your pic appears right here...... Usually! Lol

6 minutes ago, JDP said:

so I don't have to keep finding passwords for each of them after every update they do. 

I NEVER us a pc or laptop/tablet. I only use my phone. Why don’t you just get the phone to remember your passwords?? 

1 hour ago, Saintly Fish said:

I NEVER us a pc or laptop/tablet. I only use my phone. Why don’t you just get the phone to remember your passwords?? 

Its still so dam small and many apps I use don't open up the same on a phone, I also find those keys to small on a phone!!!.