steering went yesterday......

Had a lovely day out yesterday - drifting for mackerel then anchored up - (catch report coming).

on lifting the anchor I found the steering mechanism/cable had failed - wheel and rudder could go hard over one way but not past straight -rudder was free so the mechanism/cables appearing jammed or slipping. 

I have a tiller so was able to steer home, but with the throttle in the wheel house and the tiller on the rudder it made for a challenge coming alongside! 

but actually managed absolutely fine! quite proud of myself to be fair!

I have a panel behind (in front of) the wheel I can look at and i can access the control arms by the rudder so will go and have a look when i have time - however is there anything to look for or be aware off before I start removing panels? - its an old boat so pretty basic - assume its cables and pulleys?

thanks - i did feel super proud of not panicking - thinking it through, and planning how to tackle the marina and coming alongside before actually doing it! 

it made life difficult when hauling anchor I could steam away to lift it ok, but as i couldn't manoeuvre the boat very well when hauling the bouy in, it proved difficult and at one point the boat nearly drifted over the anchor warp while retrieving - ended up bringing the anchor up on both sides of the boat! 

i'm just grateful pugwash has a back up - the metal bracket on top of the rudder has been added to accommodate the manual bilge pump handle as a tiller.....

image.png.0271d398f097a83f0a8c509fb6af3a9d.png

3 minutes ago, mike farrants said:

yeah it sticks at dead ahead and the wheel clunks past it but the rudder doesn't move

not sure on the steering box - ive never looked - it was late when we got back so will go have a look later this week.

Ok, so the wheel does move past dead ahead, but the rudder doesn't? If so, then check your cables. Sounds like one has snapped. Steering box would only be the culprit if the wheel didn't move past dead ahead, but as it is able to move past, then a cable break is looking likely.

Either way, you may decide to replace the whole lot - if one cable has snapped then the other may be close to snapping or if the box is jamming then wear and tear may have started to catch up with it. The best solution for safety and peace of mind would be to replace the lot rather than repairing individual parts of an old system.

similar system here - we first thought it was the bolt that goes in the green circle - but was in fact the nut circled in red - it had come loose over time and i guess one to check every couple of months - easy fix at sea if it happens again - easy enough access and as long as i have a lookout on board holding the rudder still i could tighten up myself at sea. 

image.thumb.png.6a9155c1cc07c0637dedf6af77e686ae.png

Edited by mike farrants
i dont know my bolts from my nuts

On 8/24/2021 at 8:46 AM, mike farrants said:

similar system here - we first thought it was the bolt that goes in the green circle - but was in fact the nut circled in red - it had come loose over time and i guess one to check every couple of months - easy fix at sea if it happens again - easy enough access and as long as i have a lookout on board holding the rudder still i could tighten up myself at sea. 

image.thumb.png.6a9155c1cc07c0637dedf6af77e686ae.png

It`s easy to tell the difference ,nuts are in a bag, bolts Jamaican.