Lost bass on lure

Saintly Fish

We got back from a long weekend on the boat this afternoon. 
As I’m doing the last of the bbq food (whilst Mrs cleaned), the family of swans paid a visit. They always hang around waiting for scraps. Only this time they had some friends in tow. I just happened to look down to the water and noticed circling under the swans, 4 or 5 LARGE bass. And when I say large I mean big. I’d say 9-10lb easily. Things always look a bit smaller when in the water until you lift them out, and these looked large IN the water. 
I quickly grabbed my new spinning rod which normally will have a small Jelly or mackerel feathers on for running under the pontoon as the ebb gets going. Only this time I’d been using it in bembridge harbour and had a patchinko 125 rigged. 
So I quickly deployed the lure with a lazy Chuck just 2m to the right of the bbq area, and it hit the water, quickly to disappear as fast as it had surfaced from the drop. Fish on, my rod bent over and I thought the “not breakable” boast was about to be put to the test. 
But, in my rush and the excitement I forgot to set the FS reels clutch and yes, the 8lb line snapped without effort. 
Bang goes the bass and bang goes my prized 125 ☹️
School boy error of the highest type! 
Gutted on two/2 fronts…

Ouch! Schoolboy error but fair play for fessing up on here. Gutted for you. And a shame that the bass now has some new lip jewellery to put up with for a while, but it will likely drop out before long. Better luck next time 👍

2 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Ouch! Schoolboy error but fair play for fessing up on here. Gutted for you. And a shame that the bass now has some new lip jewellery to put up with for a while, but it will likely drop out before long. Better luck next time 👍

Yes it was a concern that he would have to put up with it for a while. Hopefully the hook rusts through quick or he/she manages to throw it. 

1 minute ago, Saintly Fish said:

Yes it was a concern that he would have to put up with it for a while. Hopefully the hook rusts through quick or he/she manages to throw it. 

Generally, the motion of the fish swimming makes the hooks create a larger hole, and then they just drop out.

In 50+ years of fishing, I have only caught less than a handful of fish with an old hook still in them, and most of those were coarse fish.

The 'take' is quite exciting when using lures like a 'patch', bad luck on not having it quite setup right, shite happens ! 🙄

1 minute ago, GPSguru said:

The 'take' is quite exciting when using lures like a 'patch', bad luck on not having it quite setup right, shite happens ! 🙄

It's exciting and addictive! The bass in my profile pic took a patch II 140 fished dead drift in the current over a sand bar. I was wading waist high in water at the time. In my opinion one of the best ways to fish lures for bass.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2021 at 6:57 PM, Saintly Fish said:

We got back from a long weekend on the boat this afternoon. 
As I’m doing the last of the bbq food (whilst Mrs cleaned), the family of swans paid a visit. They always hang around waiting for scraps. Only this time they had some friends in tow. I just happened to look down to the water and noticed circling under the swans, 4 or 5 LARGE bass. And when I say large I mean big. I’d say 9-10lb easily. Things always look a bit smaller when in the water until you lift them out, and these looked large IN the water. 
I quickly grabbed my new spinning rod which normally will have a small Jelly or mackerel feathers on for running under the pontoon as the ebb gets going. Only this time I’d been using it in bembridge harbour and had a patchinko 125 rigged. 
So I quickly deployed the lure with a lazy Chuck just 2m to the right of the bbq area, and it hit the water, quickly to disappear as fast as it had surfaced from the drop. Fish on, my rod bent over and I thought the “not breakable” boast was about to be put to the test. 
But, in my rush and the excitement I forgot to set the FS reels clutch and yes, the 8lb line snapped without effort. 
Bang goes the bass and bang goes my prized 125 ☹️
School boy error of the highest type! 
Gutted on two/2 fronts…

Unlucky on loosing the bass , I lost my first one in 10 years  with a lure attached last week in the Pembrokeshire bass tournament around a rock and I'm still gutted .

Every day is a school day and we both will be prepared next time 😊

13 minutes ago, Davemc said:

Unlucky on loosing the bass , I lost my first one in 10 years  with a lure attached last week in the Pembrokeshire bass tournament around a rock and I'm still gutted .

Every day is a school day and we both will be prepared next time 😊

Ah, that's a shame! Just goes to show it happens to the best of us 👍

How did the Tournament go?

On 9/10/2021 at 11:34 PM, Andy135 said:

Ah, that's a shame! Just goes to show it happens to the best of us 👍

How did the Tournament go?

Had a great time Andy , Never been to Pembs and came away with 2nd for the biggest combined 3 bass of 182cm ....I'm a lucky beggar 😁

10 minutes ago, Davemc said:

Had a great time Andy , Never been to Pembs and came away with 2nd for the biggest combined 3 bass of 182cm ....I'm a lucky beggar 😁

Result!! Top work Dave. Stick up a report and tell us all about it. Well chuffed for you 👍👍

• 1 year later...

I’ve been thinking about this one for a year or so, my thoughts are 

Losing a bass on a lure can be frustrating, but it's a common part of fishing. Even experienced anglers encounter this situation from time to time.

Remember that fishing is as much about the journey as it is about the destination. Even if you lose a bass now and then, the joy of the sport and the knowledge you gain along the way are valuable rewards. Keep practicing and refining your skills, and you'll increase your chances of successfully landing more bass in the future.

7 hours ago, JonC said:

I’ve been thinking about this one for a year or so, my thoughts are 

Losing a bass on a lure can be frustrating, but it's a common part of fishing. Even experienced anglers encounter this situation from time to time.

Remember that fishing is as much about the journey as it is about the destination. Even if you lose a bass now and then, the joy of the sport and the knowledge you gain along the way are valuable rewards. Keep practicing and refining your skills, and you'll increase your chances of successfully landing more bass in the future.

You truly are a sage Jon!  

28 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

You truly are a sage Jon!  

I was chatting to one of my friends who now lives in Pakistan, he offered a lot of wisdom. He said he’s tried posting but one of the moderators blocked him which is a shame. 

1 hour ago, JonC said:

I was chatting to one of my friends who now lives in Pakistan, he offered a lot of wisdom. He said he’s tried posting but one of the moderators blocked him which is a shame. 

Probably thought he was a bot!! 
#suspicioustotheend

Edited by Saintly Fish

2 hours ago, JonC said:

t

That's the SLT (or is it one consonant incorrect and one vowel missing) for you! Geoff.😉