Said Tub

Captain Sensible

Arrr! She's a beauty!

So it's your fault that we're having all this crappy weather then? New boat = at least four weeks of rubbish weather for everyone 😭🤣

In all seriousness she looks great. I had an Orkney as my first boat, a little 440. Those Strikeliners are well thought of - good choice 👍

4 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Arrr! She's a beauty!

So it's your fault that we're having all this crappy weather then? New boat = at least four weeks of rubbish weather for everyone 😭🤣

In all seriousness she looks great. I had an Orkney as my first boat, a little 440. Those Strikeliners are well thought of - good choice 👍

Bought it on a sunny day so add 2 weeks to the 4 

I think I’m in love good job the exhaust pipe is protected by a propeller. Irrational thoughts of spending hours with her gently polishing. 

Arrrr, boats!

How do they fair in a force 7? Asking for a friend - he said it’s that or the river

Was yours previously used on relatively sheltered sea lochs? Your friend may have said something true in jest if so.

Truthfully, I wouldn't take it out in more than a force 2, or maybe a 3. Orkney's don't have much free board and are susceptible to water over the gunnels so be sure to have a good bilge pump or two. They're also quite light in the hull, so will bob about like a cork in a chop, making for an uncomfortable fishing trip. Generally speaking, more mass = more comfort with boats.

With that said, with mine I found that I ran out of bravery before the hull did, which is better than the alternative!

I'm assuming this is your first boat. They are great starter boats, but I suspect you'll want to go bigger once you master the basics and your sea legs get more adventurous.

6 hours ago, Andy135 said:

With that said, with mine I found that I ran out of bravery before the hull did

Yes but that's really not hard is it!! 

@Captain Sensible nice looking little boat you've got yourself there. If I were you, I'd make a call to the manufacturer and ask what the rating is if there is no plate in the hull anywhere to give an indication of what she can take, engine wise and sea state. But, I guess it's not too much and more for inshore work, pushing out a bit further on calmer days. 
Happy boating, and we all look forward to a catch report or two before you start the "Find me a bigger boat" thread. It will happen eventually!! 

10 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Was yours previously used on relatively sheltered sea lochs? Your friend may have said something true in jest if so.

Truthfully, I wouldn't take it out in more than a force 2, or maybe a 3. Orkney's don't have much free board and are susceptible to water over the gunnels so be sure to have a good bilge pump or two. They're also quite light in the hull, so will bob about like a cork in a chop, making for an uncomfortable fishing trip. Generally speaking, more mass = more comfort with boats.

With that said, with mine I found that I ran out of bravery before the hull did, which is better than the alternative!

I'm assuming this is your first boat. They are great starter boats, but I suspect you'll want to go bigger once you master the basics and your sea legs get more adventurous.

First go at boats was sailing boats as a kid with cabins, channel crossing and east coast pottering. Then Lazers, so no wind no fun. Next go for last few years has been SIBS if anyone knows them. 3.8m with a 15hp planes at 18knots cruise if you want at 15knots on east coast chop. Expect to get wet and prepare for it. Would go out in a 3-4 highly mobile and quick, capable of much more - surf jumping etc but human part quits before boat does.

Don’t know this boat and capability at all so baby steps to start with and see what I think, how safe I feel. Prepare for worst.

So this is first dedicated boat for fishing, bit of experience prior to that. Oh and mucked about on ribs for a bit for PB1&2, PB refresher, next step advanced when I have the time. Me and my Sister been doing it down Solent way good fun and nice folk. 

Bigger boat - not ruling it out - like the Orkney for ease of use and it’s cheaper to moor at that length. 

4 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Yes but that's really not hard is it!! 

@Captain Sensible nice looking little boat you've got yourself there. If I were you, I'd make a call to the manufacturer and ask what the rating is if there is no plate in the hull anywhere to give an indication of what she can take, engine wise and sea state. But, I guess it's not too much and more for inshore work, pushing out a bit further on calmer days. 
Happy boating, and we all look forward to a catch report or two before you start the "Find me a bigger boat" thread. It will happen eventually!! 

Built in 80’s/90’s when 2 smokes the norm, rated to 25hp which is roughly 50kg. Didn’t ask about safe sea state but as above if dangerous don’t go out. 

Now got a 30hp four smoke which is nearly double the weight, 2 smoke equivalent has more power so 20/25 hp four smoke prob bit underpowered. 30 4s is prob but too heavy. insurance approved and no stress signs to boat, others run them outboards with no issues. 

23 minutes ago, Captain Sensible said:

Built in 80’s/90’s when 2 smokes the norm, rated to 25hp which is roughly 50kg. Didn’t ask about safe sea state but as above if dangerous don’t go out. 

Now got a 30hp four smoke which is nearly double the weight, 2 smoke equivalent has more power so 20/25 hp four smoke prob bit underpowered. 30 4s is prob but too heavy. insurance approved and no stress signs to boat, others run them outboards with no issues. 

I recon you could sneak a 225 on, just change the stickers 🤣

32 minutes ago, Captain Sensible said:

First go at boats was sailing boats as a kid with cabins, channel crossing and east coast pottering. Then Lazers, so no wind no fun. Next go for last few years has been SIBS if anyone knows them. 3.8m with a 15hp planes at 18knots cruise if you want at 15knots on east coast chop. Expect to get wet and prepare for it. Would go out in a 3-4 highly mobile and quick, capable of much more - surf jumping etc but human part quits before boat does.

Don’t know this boat and capability at all so baby steps to start with and see what I think, how safe I feel. Prepare for worst.

So this is first dedicated boat for fishing, bit of experience prior to that. Oh and mucked about on ribs for a bit for PB1&2, PB refresher, next step advanced when I have the time. Me and my Sister been doing it down Solent way good fun and nice folk. 

Bigger boat - not ruling it out - like the Orkney for ease of use and it’s cheaper to moor at that length. 

Sounds like you know what you're doing then, so all good.

As it happens I have a recurring itch (uh-oh 🤣) for a SIB or a Takacat. Something very light and packable that I can launch singlehandedly and escape for a day's fishing on sheltered waters or take the kids out for a blast and a soaking on summer hols. Will have to tap your knowledge when I'm ready to open the wallet on one.

9 minutes ago, Captain Sensible said:

😃 yeah reckon this max boat speed according to hull design is nonsense just stick a massive engine on and a LOT of anchor chain up front 

One of these?

584CFB09-9F7A-4642-BF76-F3CF5591907C.jpeg

If you can afford 1 surely you can stretch to 2? 

2 hours ago, Captain Sensible said:

😃 yeah reckon this max boat speed according to hull design is nonsense just stick a massive engine on and a LOT of anchor chain up front 

One of these?

584CFB09-9F7A-4642-BF76-F3CF5591907C.jpeg

Nah you want ones like this…

300hp x 2 🤣🤣🤣

1C82DC0F-7153-4106-BEBF-89DF00C0A8BB.jpeg

F2DA33CC-BAED-4B97-82CE-E873CF507EA1.jpeg

Just now, Saintly Fish said:

Is that you in the blue jumper Luke?

I’m on the deck taking the pics (cheeky bugger)

No-one had found a tank big enough to fire up engines so I “borrowed” a wheelie bin, they wanted it back abd had quite a crowd in the boat yard to see what we were up to….

On 10/29/2021 at 6:31 PM, Captain Sensible said:

Top bins! 😂😂

what’s the sieve for? 

Fishing out crap in the bin floating around and clogging my inlets 

• 1 year later...
8 hours ago, daio web said:

@Captain Sensible i notice the guy in the overalls is his name Gavin by any chance

That’s my boat and yes that’s Gavin he did the service on my engines when I was in Cardiff