Over charge

JDP

My Suzuki 140 4 stroke seems to be pushing out 15 volts of charge according to my Garmin head unit. Hadn't really thought to much about it untill I just realised two of the bait pumps Ive recently replaced wearnt fused. They are now fused but 15 volts is still to much but also seems to be a common issue. The twin battery's were tested about 3 months ago after some electrical work and were fine then. Contacts all look good but my concern is that several people seem to have had the same issue even after Suzuki replaced the rectifier and battery's. I don't remember if it was doing this on battery 1 or 2 or both running at the same time, so will need to check this further on the next trip out. If it's just on one battery, I suppose I can just assume that ones starting to fail and not to much of an issue. 

13 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

That doesn't sound too brilliant does it, especially if Suzuki have replaced some rectified already. Fingers crossed yours is ok. Did Suzuki get to the bottom of why this was happening?

#Andyrushesofftogosporttocheckhishugerod

Get a decent multimeter on them and see what the charge voltage really is. 

The Garmin head unit could easily be displaying 0.5v  out.

I have Simrad, Lowrance and Koden head units that all display voltage (Simrad is the most accurate) and they all show a different voltage to what my Fluke and Vicci multimeters show. 

I just use the head units voltage as a guide that my batteries are being charged.

Edited by headlight

Been meaning to buy a multimeter, now I have excuse. I have both Lowrance and Garmin but went off the Garmin as its their premium end model, didn't think to check through Lowrance.

1 hour ago, Andy135 said:

That doesn't sound too brilliant does it, especially if Suzuki have replaced some rectified already. Fingers crossed yours is ok. Did Suzuki get to the bottom of why this was happening?

That thread I found ended unresolved, where some had been battery issues and others the rectifier.

On 10/25/2020 at 1:07 AM, JDP said:

My Suzuki 140 4 stroke seems to be pushing out 15 volts of charge according to my Garmin head unit. Hadn't really thought to much about it untill I just realised two of the bait pumps Ive recently replaced wearnt fused. They are now fused but 15 volts is still to much but also seems to be a common issue. The twin battery's were tested about 3 months ago after some electrical work and were fine then. Contacts all look good but my concern is that several people seem to have had the same issue even after Suzuki replaced the rectifier and battery's. I don't remember if it was doing this on battery 1 or 2 or both running at the same time, so will need to check this further on the next trip out. If it's just on one battery, I suppose I can just assume that ones starting to fail and not to much of an issue. 

I dont want to worry you Jon, but most (if not all) the Garmin units I have had tend to read slightly low (about 0.4V) .......... I guess they are reading the internal voltage which would of course be more or less correct.

11 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

I dont want to worry you Jon, but most (if not all) the Garmin units I have had tend to read slightly low (about 0.4V) .......... I guess they are reading the internal voltage which would of course be more or less correct.

Yes that's something I noticed with Lowrance too, the fact that two 500lt bait pumps have cooked in two trips doesn't indicate it's simply a misreading on the head units.  It's not really a worry, I could run the power to the battery through a ctec dc to dc charger which I removed from another vehicle, this can also regulate any solar I use on longer range trips for powering the 12 volt freezer. The other option is to get the mobile auto electrician to check it out, who I believe is having the same issue with his Suzuki 175.

Jon, had a search around the net, found something that is a common occurance....

zook140.thumb.jpg.a3063be57037cfa4951e72e0fd9e4e21.jpg

That connector seems to be either a common issue or a common result. Have a look for that connector, spliyt it and make sure all nice and clean and tight fit....... This is also a common occurance on Suzuki bikes (and Triumph for that matter). Many have switched to mosfet reg/recs and upgraded charge circuit wiring. If you could source a wiring diagram, should be able to break it down a bit further for you and give you some tests to perform.....

8 hours ago, suzook12 said:

Jon, had a search around the net, found something that is a common occurance....

zook140.thumb.jpg.a3063be57037cfa4951e72e0fd9e4e21.jpg

That connector seems to be either a common issue or a common result. Have a look for that connector, spliyt it and make sure all nice and clean and tight fit....... This is also a common occurance on Suzuki bikes (and Triumph for that matter). Many have switched to mosfet reg/recs and upgraded charge circuit wiring. If you could source a wiring diagram, should be able to break it down a bit further for you and give you some tests to perform.....

Cheers for that, will check it out as soon as it stops raining!!! 12'c and rain for about 5 days so far. Summer:classic_cool:

1 hour ago, JDP said:

Cheers for that, will check it out as soon as it stops raining!!! 12'c and rain for about 5 days so far. Summer:classic_cool:

Cor! That’s a good summer! We’d be sat on the beach wanting an icecream on the beach in wales 🤣🤣🤣🤣

It's not common at all, cold southerly winds pushing up from Antartica and a huge warm patch of water off the QLD coast causing us the rain. On the upside what most people would call summer in the UK ( temps of 27-37'c ) last around 9 months in my area and when we do cool down I often head to the tropics for a month or so. 

Checked mine out today, no cables that look anything like that, what brand of outboard is that from ?. Checked all connections and re- lubed with Yamlube, just need a break in this weather now as I have a panoptics transducer I'm keen to test among other things.

2 hours ago, suzook12 said:

That was a Suzuki DF140 reportedly, in part of the charging harness........

Have you checked with a good multimeter yet so we know exactly what we are dealing with?

It needs to be sorted sooner rather than later

No haven't bought a tester yet, went to borrow one from a mechanic today but he was out for the day. Im a bit far from anywhere that sells testers local and already done a few big drives over the last few days (a bit over driving at the moment!!).

17 hours ago, JDP said:

just need a break in this weather now as I have a panoptics transducer I'm keen to test among other things.

If it is the same as the LVS32 then the first thing will be to switch on the transducer compass and calibrate it (2 complete circles) , then you will see 2 vectors from your boat on the plotter showing which way the transducer is looking.

I suspect the gain will be too high, so leave all the settings on auto and reduce the gain to get the correct definition ............ I find the standard colour scheme works for me OK. Garmin say that Panoptix is only good to 200ft, but we have used it at 250ft OK (that is as deep as we go here !)

Edited by GPSguru
Spelling !

12 hours ago, GPSguru said:

If it is the same as the LVS32 then the first thing will be to switch on the transducer compass and calibrate it (2 complete circles) , then you will see 2 vectors from your boat on the plotter showing which way the transducer is looking.

I suspect the gain will be too high, so leave all the settings on auto and reduce the gain to get the correct definition ............ I find the standard colour scheme works for me OK. Garmin say that Panoptix is only good to 200ft, but we have used it at 250ft OK (that is as deep as we go here !)

No this is the ps30 which I will mainly use for jigging to hopefully distinguish between the schools of very small fish that snip lures off with their beak like mouths. Im hoping with good clean water to be able to use this mostly in 60m of water, might also see how it goes with a max depth set at around 60-80m in extreme deep water to see is it will pick up tuna in the cube trail under the boat. It wasn't something I had planned to buy but I saw it at such a good price I could'nt knock it back!!!.. I find that most transducers work deeper than what is stated on the box's over here, which I put down to correct transducer placement and relatively clear water. I used to get 500m out of a Lowrance stock standard low cost transducer, though I am finding the Garmin GT51 needs very careful positioning to get good results due to the smaller cone angles.

58 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

I would be reluctant to use any expensive electronics while there is an over charging issue...... Especially as the extent of which is not really known at the moment.

My thoughts too, plan was to run it on the hose and test before the next trip. Looks like I have a bit of time to get that done with more poor weather on the way.Wind rain and hail!!!

3 hours ago, JDP said:

Rain stopped, bought a tester and all seems good.

Results without engine running.

Lowrance HDS head unit 11.8

Garmin 8410 head unit 12.2

Direct from battery 1 =12.59 battery 2 =12.60

With engine running.

Lowrance 14.4

Garmin 14.8

Batteries 14.65 each.

Those figures are fine Jon 👍

So as long as your Lowrance is showing around 14.4v or your Garmin is showing around 14.8v, with the engine running, you know that you are charging ok.