The no cod report

jonnyswamp

It was a club competition today, only 5 cod caught so I don’t think there are as many as people think…

As for the cod comp, I think that there will be about 150 boats anchored on the coral 🤣🤣

5 hours ago, jonnyswamp said:

As the title, no cod, nada

Started the day on a flat sea with no wind anchored on the English side of Cardiff spit, after getting the 7.30 lock out

2021-11-14_06-06-00

Counted 35 boats between the Rannie and Cardiff North, with more joining after each lock

Fish straight away, all the usual contenders, with a couple of small whiting thrown in

2021-11-14_05-50-24

!3lb on the left, 16lb on the right

2021-11-14_05-48-46

Didn't weigh mine, but around the same sort of size

Moved up to Clevedon after slack low and anchored on the side of a channel, just inside the Clevedon buoy 

6 or 7  boats anchored in Ladye bay, that dwindled to 1 or 2 after an hour or so of the flood

We stuck it out until 12 ish, after dogs and straps were getting a pain

A move to the bottom end of the West middle grounds bank, for the last of the flood gave us more of the same with a few Thornbacks for good measure

Out of bait and patience, we pulled the pin at 3.15 and just made the 3.45 inbound lock

Heard of a few doubles that came off the coral and Cardiff spit, but sadly, none for us

I will show my true colours next Sunday at the cod comp, where I will no doubt be codless again

Well done Nick, some very nice fish there. As everything else has been late this year, I am guessing the main run of Cod will also be later. No point in targetting them here as we don't get enough to make it worthwhile, we just look at it as a bonus if we find a few on the wrecks.

You certainly had a different sea to us here on the South West coast, the NE wind (F3) was pushing up a 0.75m swell at about every 2 secs, so I had a slower trip out to the wrecks !

I am going out again tomorrow, so my report will come later, but there are Bass fillets in the fridge tonight.

Edited by GPSguru

17 hours ago, Odyssey said:

It was a club competition today, only 5 cod caught so I don’t think there are as many as people think…

As for the cod comp, I think that there will be about 150 boats anchored on the coral 🤣🤣

The coral was like a marina yesterday 🤣

8 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

The coral was like a marina yesterday 🤣

Just wait until next weekend, bigger tide, everyone anchored on top of each other just wait for an anchor to drag and maybe like dominos 🤣🤣🤣🤣

1 minute ago, Odyssey said:

Just wait until next weekend, bigger tide, everyone anchored on top of each other just wait for an anchor to drag and maybe like dominos 🤣🤣🤣🤣

I always get twitchy about anchoring near other boats, and when other boats anchor near me, for this reason.

Always used to hate it when using the alderney ring too as you need some working room between boats to recover the anchor. Less so when using a windlass, but still not ideal.