Swansea bay salmon

Tankybouy

Well launched at mumbles today headed straight for the kenfig patches about 9 nm anchored right ontop  of the kennels never seen so many dogs.

After a couple of hours of feeding the dogs headed back to swansea seen a few dolphins so wasn't to bad 

Tried some banks halfway home and guess what we caught yep more doggies 🐕. By this point i was pretty broken mentally but thought you have bait you still have a chance so hit the old faithful strombus wreck in the bay but that depressed me more yep more doggies 🤣🤣 did manage 2 pouting and 1 eel about 12inches 🤣🤣.

So we just decided to have a race back to the slip always a laugh 😃

So if anyone wants to catch dogfish come to swansea we have millions 🤣🤣

Dogfish you say? In Swansea you say?? I'm on my way!! 🐶🐟👍🤣

Well done for getting out though. Sounds like you fished hard but it wasn't to be today. That's what I love about fishing - there's always next time 👍

16 hours ago, Captain Sensible said:

Next decent sized dog I catch is going in the pot. If life throws you lemons make a fish curry 

I tried eating one a few seasons ago. Once finned and skinned it comes out like this.

Sn0x8DH.jpg

I then cut it into chunks/goujons, rolled in flour, salt & pepper then shallow fried it. The taste was ok, but I was underwhelmed by the texture - a bit mushy and gelatinous. Not flaky and firm like white fish.

Be interested to hear how you get on with it in a curry - the softer texture might work better in a thick, spicy sauce than it did as fried fish.

15 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

I tried eating one a few seasons ago. Once finned and skinned it comes out like this.

Sn0x8DH.jpg

I then cut it into chunks/goujons, rolled in flour, salt & pepper then shallow fried it. The taste was ok, but I was underwhelmed by the texture - a bit mushy and gelatinous. Not flaky and firm like white fish.

Be interested to hear how you get on with it in a curry - the softer texture might work better in a thick, spicy sauce than it did as fried fish.

Think the idea is to freeze it. Then eat it frozen. Very firm. 

No me joko but freezing is supposed to make fish firmer 

Did you bleed it? 

6 minutes ago, Captain Sensible said:

Did you bleed it? 

Yes, and left it in a bath of salty water for a day to get rid of the urea taste that they can sometimes have. Maybe it absorbed some of the water and went mushy, and perhaps freezing drives out some of the water? Might give it a freeze first next time I catch a decent one.