CBYC Cod comp

jonnyswamp

This will be very brief

Caught the 7am lock out and joined the armada gathered around the end of Penarth pier to wait for the 8am starting hooter

That sounded and the wacky races started with boats going in all directions

We headed down around the Sully area and anchored about a mile uptide of Odyssey (looked like his boat, it had a pair of Yam 50's on the back I think)

First over the gunnels (or rather T barred off at the side) was a conger around 14/16lb mark, I then hooked a slug but didn't count the beards so don't know which one it was

2021-11-21_08-08-25

I think that's Luke in the background

A few rays, dogs and more straps came off this mark, before we moved out into deeper water

Not for long as we couldn't hold anchor, so a short move up channel and it held fine

More dogs and rays here until slack low when we had a move up to Cardiff foreshore through a very unhappy Rannie with wind against tide

The strong Northerly had been with the tide until the turn and was doable, it was now against it and kept us side on and was beginning to be not doable for my elderly crew (av age 73)

Pulled the pin at 3.30 as there was a queue for the one lock that was open of around 30 boats

Couldn't open the others as they were silted up and didn't have enough water to be usable until around 4.30

In all fairness they've only had a bloody year to prepare

We got in the lock at around 5 with boats as far as I could see queued up behind us

Think I spotted Odyssey side on just out side the outer harbour at one point 🙄

Dropped the crew off and tied up on pontoon by 6

The weigh in deadline was 6.15 and this was all that was caught up to 6 oclock

2021-11-21_07-34-00

The committee were very strict on times at the last comp, but with the fiasco of the locks, I don't know if there were any concessions

Did hear of an 18lb cod caught down Aberthaw way by a Cardiff charter (didn't see it, so can't be sure)

Hope you all had more luck than me and my crew 

8 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

So…. I recently got co-opted into the committee…. I’ll be leaving soon…

I’m hindsight comp should not of run, I didn’t know a 14ft CJR was entering, no way those conditions were suitable. 

I locked out at 06:30, barrage said to plan your return time as it’s 2 locks running…

Start time came, headed to Sully at a nice 33knts. Dropped the pick out wide, into rays…. One a Chuck….

went inshore to get out of tide, into more rays. Moved again, more rays….

moved back to Cardiff, choppy sloppy sea, more rays, cold and windy….

Had over 30 rays in first 3 hours gave up counting after that. No cod. 

Then the lock in…. 2.5 hours to clear the locks, nearly rammed countless times due to people queue jumping. 

Finally get back in to shit going down at the weigh in…. 

Rules state weigh in closes at 18:15. I stated that as I started the comp at 8am. Only runour got out that it was extended…. So at 18:30 a boat turns up with 4 fish to weigh in…. Then another angler turns up with a 16lb cod at 18:55…. It’s a winning fish….

Cue things getting out of hand… it was close to some argy bargy on the side…. 

Committee decide to offer 2 top prizes of £1k to save face on the confusion but still not good enough for some. Committee can’t be blamed for lock fiasco sadly and it wasn’t agreed to extend, just one person said it was without checking with rest of us….

We did our best…. We are all volunteers giving up our own time and TBH, it’s not worth the hassle sadly.

Abtway, 20 cod weighed in, 120 boats fished, 354 anglers fished. So in short the cod fishing is crap at the moment! 

I enjoy my fishing and do it for fun, but those those conditions werent fun. I’m sure a lot of lessons fo be learned but for me it’s just too much hassle…. I’ll go out when it’s warm abs sunny instead 🤣🤣🤣🤣 (unless it’s shark time then I’ll go out in anything 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Overall a lot of work goes into organising the competition. I had countless messages most evening last week about the comp, up at 5am to help organise on the day home at 10pm. Also a good few hours the day before… 

Well done to the anglers who caught, but I think it’ll be 12 months down west… clean water, easier locking and peace and quiet 🙂

Sounds like a proper headache for not much reward. 

4 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Sounds like a proper headache for not much reward. 

Yeah it’s a tough thing to organise… you’ve got boats like mine, able to be coded for 60 miles offshore fishing through to 14ft boat, not a level playing field… then a yacht race the same day = carnage…. 

I’ll stick with sharking, it’s carnage but in a fun way 🤣🤣🤣🤣

11 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

So…. I recently got co-opted into the committee…. I’ll be leaving soon…

I’m hindsight comp should not of run, I didn’t know a 14ft CJR was entering, no way those conditions were suitable. 

I locked out at 06:30, barrage said to plan your return time as it’s 2 locks running…

Start time came, headed to Sully at a nice 33knts. Dropped the pick out wide, into rays…. One a Chuck….

went inshore to get out of tide, into more rays. Moved again, more rays….

moved back to Cardiff, choppy sloppy sea, more rays, cold and windy….

Had over 30 rays in first 3 hours gave up counting after that. No cod. 

Then the lock in…. 2.5 hours to clear the locks, nearly rammed countless times due to people queue jumping. 

Finally get back in to shit going down at the weigh in…. 

Rules state weigh in closes at 18:15. I stated that as I started the comp at 8am. Only runour got out that it was extended…. So at 18:30 a boat turns up with 4 fish to weigh in…. Then another angler turns up with a 16lb cod at 18:55…. It’s a winning fish….

Cue things getting out of hand… it was close to some argy bargy on the side…. 

Committee decide to offer 2 top prizes of £1k to save face on the confusion but still not good enough for some. Committee can’t be blamed for lock fiasco sadly and it wasn’t agreed to extend, just one person said it was without checking with rest of us….

We did our best…. We are all volunteers giving up our own time and TBH, it’s not worth the hassle sadly.

Abtway, 20 cod weighed in, 120 boats fished, 354 anglers fished. So in short the cod fishing is crap at the moment! 

I enjoy my fishing and do it for fun, but those those conditions werent fun. I’m sure a lot of lessons fo be learned but for me it’s just too much hassle…. I’ll go out when it’s warm abs sunny instead 🤣🤣🤣🤣 (unless it’s shark time then I’ll go out in anything 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Overall a lot of work goes into organising the competition. I had countless messages most evening last week about the comp, up at 5am to help organise on the day home at 10pm. Also a good few hours the day before… 

Well done to the anglers who caught, but I think it’ll be 12 months down west… clean water, easier locking and peace and quiet 🙂

I heard about the rows at the weigh in, but I wasn't there so couldn't say it wasn't bullshit

A lot of shit on Facebook yesterday, but that's to be expected on there

Due to the locks debacle, I think the weigh in should've been extended, at least it would've pacified some

Although when there's that much money at stake, there's nowt as queer as folk