Luring cod

Quality post @Malc. A good overview of luring for cod. Thanks for sharing 👍.

Interesting that you've had success with stand-up jigheads. I know them as ned-rigged when fishing for bass from shore but never thought to try the same principle with bigger lures for cod. Food for thought there, particularly as there is a large patch of broken ground (the Spoils, an old dumping ground out past the Nab Tower in the east Wight approaches) that I plan to explore this year. Will also give the dropper idea a try too.

Creatures

I use this rig, I believe it is a variation on a jika (?) rig two connected split rings with the top having the hook the bottom has a rotten bottom and weight that works in that area. I use different lengths as some areas the rocks have short lengths of weed on them. The only reason for the quick link is so I can quickly change to a single shad or other lure.

771374154_IMG_20200907_1849295232.thumb.jpg.509c5c91432346ce02f96039d12597bd.jpg

You can use a shad/minnow on them but I like using creatures or tubes and hop them over the bottom like a shrimp, squat, langoustine or similar. To create a bit more noise you can put a glass rattle inside the body.

1316865414_IMG_20220104_1603418342.thumb.jpg.a67fe2e30008f970c7b1026c86598d6f.jpg

Tight lines 🎣

3 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

And you would use these whilst at anchor, uptiding, downtiding etc or always on the drift?

The stand up jighead rig and jika/Cheb rigs are great on very slow tides so I would imagine that they would work swinging around at anchor or cast a short distance as I have used them like that, apart from at anchor, from a kayak although I have used them at anchor from a boat but just as a trial, jury is still out in this instance.

5 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Don't forget the hand sketched diagrams !! 👍🏻

Are you still with us? 😉

Here's the cheburaska (sp?) or Cheb rig.

1569037130_IMG_20220105_1458111733.thumb.jpg.e20006ced58bf4ebac285cdf5264ab73.jpg

Large gape worm hook is attached to the wire which is then inserted into the weight. As you can see the wire runs above the centre line of the weight so doesn't roll over and the hook hinges freely. Worm, shad, creature bait is then added to the hook and it can be either lowered or cast.

The action of these is more extreme than a shad such as the fiish black minnow or the sidewinder or storm shown earlier. As you lift it the fish looks as if it is bolting almost vertically up and the reverse on dropping, the pre rigged baits such as the sidewinder will have less of an angle to them. Just held in the tide and all will be horizontal (ish). I think this triggers fish, cod in particular but ballan also, to attack particularly on the drop or if left inert on the bottom for a second or two.

Stand up jigheads

LOOK LIKE THESE but can vary in weight, angle and how the soft plastic lure is retained on the hook. Savage gear do the heaviest I have found, up to 42g, as most are used in fresh. I was not aware about how to use them properly until I saw a vid from America. I have had fish when fishing up and down but didn't get them when casting as I did with the Cheb rig. The reason was when fished straight up and down the head will stay down with the lure tail waving attractively upwards, but if cast away from you or at an angle it has a tendency to fall back so that the lure tail is inert on the seabed. Another drawback is it is not weedless and can snag up.

Jika rig

As per the photo

2131297418_IMG_20200907_1849295232.thumb.jpg.8316c46efeb59fc008799c644d9f349c.jpg

Similar to the Cheb rig, a weight is attached to the bottom split ring or to the rotten bottom line (the brown line in the photo), the quick link is part of the trace and a lure is added to the worm hook. The bonus with this is you can add as much or as little weight as you need to keep you in contact with the bottom.

Those are the basics and there are lots of more experienced anglers than me who use these rigs more regularly so have a trawl around and see what others are saying. If there is anything else I can help you with or clarify just ask on this thread or by pm.

28 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

So @Malc, what's the rule of thumb when selecting different coloured jellies/lures (whatever) for different seasons or light conditions??

My 2 pence is that it's the silhouette/size/vibration/movement that gets the bites, not colour that much. Colour can of course help to present a clearer silhouette when seen from below/to the side, but isn't the only (or indeed primary) factor when selecting a lure to use [speaking as an ex-bass lure angler].

Curious to hear from others on this as it's a subject that comes up fairly frequently in lure angling discussions.

13 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

🤣Ex? Is that because you were/are crap at it, or because tadpole dumped you? 🤣

Neither - I just don't have enough free time in between work and family commitments to do both, and on the times that I have available to go fishing, I find myself wanting use the boat instead of going rock-hopping.

16 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

🤣Ex? Is that because you were/are crap at it, or because tadpole dumped you? 🤣

Ah, @Tadpole. I still think fondly of our times spent together under the stars, chasing that elicit thrill of a midnight tug on a deserted beach far from prying eyes.

3 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Ah, @Tadpole. I still think fondly of our times spent together under the stars, chasing that elicit thrill of a midnight tug on a deserted beach far from prying eyes.

I’d actually forgotten about Tadpole, doesn’t he run the shore fishing page on here? Not seen much of him lately. I wonder if he’s forgotten his login or something? 

1 minute ago, JonC said:

I’d actually forgotten about Tadpole, doesn’t he run the shore fishing page on here? Not seen much of him lately. I wonder if he’s forgotten his login or something? 

I think his mate @Bones took over from him when tad spat his dummy. 

23 minutes ago, JonC said:

No, neither he nor Bones had the right stuff to make a go of it, sadly.