Portsmouth question

Malc

I am travelling to Pompey in May for a reunion and as I haven't been there for 40 years I don't have any local knowledge, does anyone have a suggestion for a B&B or small hotel in the Portsmouth harbour area? Not too keen on the premier Inn etc but may have to bite that bullet if I can't get a decent recommendation 

Although my boat is kept in Pompey I've never actually stayed there overnight. I'll ask around with some members of my old boat club to see if they can recommend anywhere.

Where is the reunion taking place? Old Portsmouth?

3 hours ago, Malc said:

Ship Anson on the Hard/directly outside the dockyard gates.

Sorry, forgot to say thank you!

One of the boat club locals has made a suggestion. https://www.royalmaritimeclub.co.uk/

I've not been there personally so can't vouch for it, but at least it's a start for you.

10 hours ago, Malc said:

Things must have changed a lot since the early 80's when I was socially confused and tottering about the tricorn centre, the mighty fine, dirty duck and Joanna's, I escaped without a scratch 😅

I think we've found the perpetrator then 🤣

We had both our our 55th and 60th anniversary apprentice class reunions in Pompey, with our Saturday evening meals on HMS Victory and Warrior respectively. We stayed at the Royal maritime club for the 60th event and it was fine - not luxurious, but good value and a reasonable breakfast. No parking facility, but there is a multistory car just across the road and I seem to remember that there was a parking discount for RMC customers. I know that Malc does not intend to need the car park, but thought it worthwhile mentioning. For the 55th reunion we stayed at a pub (the George) on Queens street (only a couple of hundred yards down the road from the RMC), and that was OK, but we preferred the RMC.  Geoff.☺️

47 minutes ago, Malc said:

.... but mostly pictures of people trying to look cool when it's baking hot, enjoying themselves when it is minus brass monkey nads, funny pictures that aren't and random family stuff that you have no terms of reference for.

Yeah agree. I use mine purely for business. I let @JonC waist his life looking through all the shit and then notifying us of it!!