Angling to be allowed in England during November lockdown

Andy135

UPDATE: 09.15pm 01/11/2020

The Angling Trust is pleased that the government has recognised the value of allowing angling and other forms of outdoor recreation to continue – with members of your own household or with one other individual – through next month’s lockdown. It seems that tackle shops will still be able to operate a ‘click and collect’ service. So we are still fishing.
Whilst we need to see the precise details in the regulations laid before Parliament on Monday it is likely there will be impacts on certain areas of our sport and we will update everybody just as soon as we are able to do so. Thanks for your patience

From the Angling Trust website here: https://anglingtrust.net/2020/10/31/angling-trust-lobby-government-to-keep-the-country-fishing/

So as we await the small print, let's keep our fingers crossed that we can get access to our boats... otherwise the Stinky Baits forum will get busy 😄

13 minutes ago, JonC said:

I’m down the marina now getting a few bits and pieces in case I have to start beach fishing 

You know what?!? All my terminal tackle and leader spools are on the boat.. and I'm unlikely to be able to go down to the boat to get them before Thurs! 🤦‍♂️

42 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

You know what?!? All my terminal tackle and leader spools are on the boat.. and I'm unlikely to be able to go down to the boat to get them before Thurs! 🤦‍♂️

Middle of the night, balaclava and gloves job . 

19 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

So much for stay at home then gents.....

Id of thought that you can go fishing if you’re local but not travel long distances to get to the beach 

Which rather rules me out! 😢

• Andy135 changed the title to Angling to be allowed in England during November lockdown
7 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Well tennis and golf isn’t allowed. So can’t see why boat angling will be. Still beach fishing is a good second best. 🤞🏻

I was talking about that with the chair of the ATA today. With Golf and tennis it is more to do with changing rooms and communal areas rather than the sport itself. Whether you can access your boat may be governed by travel restrictions, but we wont know about that until tomorrow.

My local harbour website has just been updated saying the harbour office will be closed for 4 weeks but all harbour staff are available on emergency numbers. It points out that covid is not going away and everybody needs to stay safe and take suitable precautions.  The harbour and slipways will NOT be closed to pleasure boat traffic.

Edited by GPSguru

2 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

I was talking about that with the chair of the ATA today

Ohh lardy daa, check you out. 
I just hope MDL take a similarly sensible approach. Doubt it though. 
Just imagine the look on the Welshies faces if it is allowed 🤣

This sounds as though MDL won't allow people to access their boats.

Covid 19 Update 31st October ?
Good Evening all,

I wanted to update you on the latest changes at MDL Marinas following the Prime Minister’s announcement on the evening of 31st October. Like all businesses, MDL is committed to protecting its staff, tenants and berth holders during the Covid-19 pandemic.

Therefore, in line with the new UK Government restrictions; from Thursday 5th November we have all been instructed to stay at home - to protect the NHS and save lives. People will only be allowed to leave their home for very limited purposes.

·       for education
·       for work, if you cannot work from home
·       for exercise and recreation outdoors
·       for medical reasons
·       to shop for food and essentials
·       to care for others

Please rest assured that my team are looking after the safety and security of your boat while you are at home. Please connect to your marina’s Facebook pages to stay updated and use our COVID – 19 updates on our website.

We will continue to monitor the Government guidance closely converting the guidelines into practical advice for those who have to work on MDL sites. We will also seek clarity on the Governments definition of “recreation outdoors” in the coming days and will update our website accordingly. We’re balancing keeping people healthy, keeping people working and always keeping people’s boats safe.

For now, If you have already booked your winter lift out or are expecting your boat to go back in during the coming weeks, your lift will go ahead as normal. If the Government guidance changes we will contact you personally to make arrangements for you and your boat.  Our dedicated teams remain on hand to assist with your questions however please bear with them as they adjust once again to new restrictions and different ways of working.

Remember at any time of day or night you can also use our centrally managed enquiry forms to ask us any questions 

Thank you for your ongoing support by following the Governments guidance.

Best wishes and most importantly, please stay safe.

Michael Glanville
Managing Director

Agreed Brian, it reads quite pessimistically.

I'm still waiting for Premier to make an announcement on whether their drystacks will be operating as usual. If not, I'll ask for a lift in before Thurs and pay for a temporary pontoon berth for the month of November...

6 minutes ago, MegaByte said:

This sounds as though MDL won't allow people to access their boats.

Covid 19 Update 31st October ?
Good Evening all,

I wanted to update you on the latest changes at MDL Marinas following the Prime Minister’s announcement on the evening of 31st October. Like all businesses, MDL is committed to protecting its staff, tenants and berth holders during the Covid-19 pandemic.

Therefore, in line with the new UK Government restrictions; from Thursday 5th November we have all been instructed to stay at home - to protect the NHS and save lives. People will only be allowed to leave their home for very limited purposes.

·       for education
·       for work, if you cannot work from home
·       for exercise and recreation outdoors
·       for medical reasons
·       to shop for food and essentials
·       to care for others

Please rest assured that my team are looking after the safety and security of your boat while you are at home. Please connect to your marina’s Facebook pages to stay updated and use our COVID – 19 updates on our website.

We will continue to monitor the Government guidance closely converting the guidelines into practical advice for those who have to work on MDL sites. We will also seek clarity on the Governments definition of “recreation outdoors” in the coming days and will update our website accordingly. We’re balancing keeping people healthy, keeping people working and always keeping people’s boats safe.

For now, If you have already booked your winter lift out or are expecting your boat to go back in during the coming weeks, your lift will go ahead as normal. If the Government guidance changes we will contact you personally to make arrangements for you and your boat.  Our dedicated teams remain on hand to assist with your questions however please bear with them as they adjust once again to new restrictions and different ways of working.

Remember at any time of day or night you can also use our centrally managed enquiry forms to ask us any questions 

Thank you for your ongoing support by following the Governments guidance.

Best wishes and most importantly, please stay safe.

Michael Glanville
Managing Director

Yes but cobbs is MDL Brian isn’t it? And on the PBSBAC site Martin says they will be open! 

Just now, Andy135 said:

Agreed Brian, it reads quite pessimistically.

I'm still waiting for Premier to make an announcement on whether their drystacks will be operating as usual. If not, I'll ask for a lift in before Thurs and pay for a temporary pontoon berth for the month of November...

What’s the point in that Andy? If the marinas shut you won’t be allowed in whatever ! 

I'm just speculating here but if they furlough the drystack team yet allow bertholder access for pontoon moorings, I could still use mine if it's in the water but clearly not if she's 20 feet up.

6 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

I'm just speculating here but if they furlough the drystack team yet allow bertholder access for pontoon moorings, I could still use mine if it's in the water but clearly not if she's 20 feet up.

Fair point well made

I have just looked at the published rules and the government have chosen NOT to make distance a legality, therefore you can travel a 'reasonable' distance to your boat.

However, it would seem that marinas should close in line with non - essential business, but I would also say that the operators should still allow access to your boat .

The AT, have made no mention of boat fishing, either for or against, so I guess it can be assumed that it is OK ..................