What's your favourite fish to catch?

Yes they are Gilts from the Tamar .................. the big identifier give away is the big black spot just behind the gill covers.

We get Gilts in all our estuaries here, some bigger than others ........ in the Teign we max out at about 2lb, but other estuaries like the Yealm and the Erme fish of 5lb or more are not uncommon with the record standing at 12lb which came from (IIRC) the Salcombe estuary (Salcombe is not a true estuary it is a Ria).

A terrifically hard fighting fish, where small strong hooks are a must, I generally use Sakuma Chinu Pattern hooks .............. bait is the key for these, small Gilts can be caught on worm (Rag), but the bigger specimens will always go for Peeler and Razor baits ..............

Edited by GPSguru

59 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Yes they are Gilts from the Tamar .................. the big identifier give away is the big black spot just behind the gill covers.

We get Gilts in all our estuaries here, some bigger than others ........ in the Teign we max out at about 2lb, but other estuaries like the Yealm and the Erme fish of 5lb or more are not uncommon with the record standing at 12lb which came from (IIRC) the Salcombe estuary (Salcombe is not a true estuary it is a Ria).

A terrifically hard fighting fish, where small strong hooks are a must, I generally use Chinu Pattern hooks .............. bait is the key for these, small Gilts can be caught on worm (Rag), but the bigger specimens will always go for Peeler and Razor baits ..............

Cracking fish to catch,  we do have pockets of them in Hampshire and West Sussex, not big mind up to around 3lb.  Not forgetting there are some lumps in Portland Harbour. 

I wish we would see the bigger ones round here because boy do they scrap

14 minutes ago, Scotch_Egg2012 said:

Cracking fish to catch,  we do have pockets of them in Hampshire and West Sussex, not big mind up to around 3lb.  Not forgetting there are some lumps in Portland Harbour. 

I wish we would see the bigger ones round here because boy do they scrap

Locating areas where Gilts feed can be tricky, a good starting point in an estuary is where a creek meets the main river. Pound for Pound probably one of the hardest fighting fish in UK waters, I tell people to imagine the fight of a 3lb Gilt to be the same as a 6lb Wrasse on steroids !

3 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Like I said, challenge accepted. 😁

@Ivan Tuna, first one to catch a dogfish on a lure gets everlasting forum kudos. Loser buys the drinks. 🐶🎣

Last year I caught a 3lb smoothound pup on Mack Feathers (tinsels) ! ........ hooked fair and square in the gob ............

Edited by GPSguru

• 4 weeks later...
On 19/01/2021 at 7:09 PM, GPSguru said:

A terrifically hard fighting fish, where small strong hooks are a must, I generally use Sakuma Chinu Pattern hooks .............. bait is the key for these, small Gilts can be caught on worm (Rag), but the bigger specimens will always go for Peeler and Razor baits ..............

I agree with most of the above, though the best two from my boat last year (6lb and 7lb) fell to king rag on pennell rigs. In 2019 I also witnessed a bigger one caught on lugworm and lost a monster on lugworm myself.

I check stomach contents of the few gilts I catch, and they always include crab remains, so I plan to fish live hardback crabs up to 50p size on one rod this year. 

Although they make very good eating, may I please ask for restraint? I personally fish to a slot size of 2lb-3lb, returning all larger and smaller gilts. It's particularly important to return the larger ones to preserve the prime breeding stock. PH

Just now, Plaicehunter said:

I agree with most of the above, though the best two from my boat last year (6lb and 7lb) fell to king rag on pennell rigs. In 2019 I also witnessed a bigger one caught on lugworm and lost a monster on lugworm myself.

I check stomach contents of the few gilts I keep and they always include crab remains, so I plan to fish live hardback crabs up to 50p size on one rod this year. 

Although they make very good eating, may I please ask for restraint? I personally fish to a slot size of 2lb-3lb, returning all larger and smaller gilts. It's particularly important to return the larger ones to preserve the prime breeding stock. PH

21 minutes ago, Plaicehunter said:

I check stomach contents of the few gilts I catch, and they always include crab remains, so I plan to fish live hardback crabs up to 50p size on one rod this year.

Good fishing PH.

Personally I'm a fan of slot sizing. Makes so much sense: it balances the desire to take one for the pot with the need for conservation of the very large breeding individuals who can help to grow the average size of the gene pool.

1 hour ago, Plaicehunter said:

I plan to fish live hardback crabs up to 50p size on one rod this year. 

I use hard backs for smooth hounds and find they normally sort out the bigger specimens. The plus side too is that they are free and found under most shore line rocks. 

hmm favorite fish - tricky as i've only got back into shore fishing in the last 18 months and only just got a boat - 

I do enjoy mackerel on a simple metal lure and very light gear, Garfish on the the float are awesome fun, 

I used to love flatty bashing in the rivers..... 

going forward i'm looking forward to targeting plaice and bream, and bass on the lures.  

7 minutes ago, Cuda4 said:

I have a orginal 15LB Ugly stick so anything that puts a bend in that is great fun,also Bream on light tackle.

Nearly lost the rod when this beauty hit it,must remember to always check the drag before sitting down for a brew🤣

Sandown Bay 003.jpg

Lovey fish! What did it take, bait-wise?

3 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Lovey fish! What did it take, bait-wise?

Fresh mackerel fillet

19 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

@Cuda4 lovely bass. what was it, around 9-10lb?

Tipped just over 9lb on my scales,still waiting to catch one in double figures