Anchoring a wreck

Andy135

27 minutes ago, Jed Stone said:

You have to do it a few times and expect to fail sometimes, so many factors to take in to consideration. practice makes you better at it and gives you a feel of how your boat handles.

Yep, practice makes perfect.

And your post has reminded me I need to sort out a trip mechanism for my anchor. The boat came with a lovely stainless Lewmar anchor that isn't tripped, and it would be a shame to have to cut it loose if it gets snagged. I'll get busy with some cable ties until I can find a trip shackle that holds a 2 tonne tub. Anyone know of one?

32 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Yep, practice makes perfect.

And your post has reminded me I need to sort out a trip mechanism for my anchor. The boat came with a lovely stainless Lewmar anchor that isn't tripped, and it would be a shame to have to cut it loose if it gets snagged. I'll get busy with some cable ties until I can find a trip shackle that holds a 2 tonne tub. Anyone know of one?

Whilst your at it find one for a 4 tonne tub too!

I don't usually need to be that accurate when we anchor, it's usually over a bank, bit of rough ground where pin point accuracy isn't required

However, I have found a wreck in the Bristol Channel that isn't listed on any chart I've seen be it paper or electronic

So when the next set of small tides roll in (a week this coming Saturday) I shall be paying it a visit

I also have trips planned for tomorrow and this Saturday, it's been long enough now

1 minute ago, jonnyswamp said:

I don't usually need to be that accurate when we anchor, it's usually over a bank, bit of rough ground where pin point accuracy isn't required

However, I have found a wreck in the Bristol Channel that isn't listed on any chart I've seen be it paper or electronic

So when the next set of small tides roll in (a week this coming Saturday) I shall be paying it a visit

I also have trips planned for tomorrow and this Saturday, it's been long enough now

I too am eyeing up this weekend!

3 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

Keep us posted Nick. Catch/blank reports please. Will keep my fingers crossed for you 🤞

I'm hearing reports that there's still a few coming out over Portishead/Clevedon area, off the beaches/rock marks

Tide is a tad big for up there tomorrow, but going up anyway and will catch the last hour or 2 of the flood and as much of the ebb as we can, until the rip gets too strong

Will then either go into Ladye bay, Clevedon side or come back down around Cardiff

I don't really care too much about catching a boat full TBH, just need to get out

5 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

I too am eyeing up this weekend!

Yep, Sunday is looking good for a trip out to the wrecks, currently I am looking at the 30 miles wrecks, but will decide nearer to the time.

It is neap tides, so will be excellent for some slow jigging.

1 hour ago, GPSguru said:

Yep, Sunday is looking good for a trip out to the wrecks, currently I am looking at the 30 miles wrecks, but will decide nearer to the time.

It is neap tides, so will be excellent for some slow jigging.

Well, after you've finished rubbing it in... don't forget to post up a report 😉👍

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/4/2021 at 1:26 AM, GPSguru said:

Here you go......

I more or less do it the same way, but I dont mark the outline of the wreck, I use the wreck info of which direction the wreck is laying.

On the RIB I don't use an Alderney ring, it is easier to hand-ball the anchor (3.5kg Bruce) ...... I carry 220m (126fathoms) of warp)

Jesus I loathe this Bellend so much! Dickhead videos all the marks down here and splatters it all over the web to make himself look good with zero regard for anyone else!! 

42 minutes ago, DINOBOY said:

Jesus I loathe this Bellend so much! Dickhead videos all the marks down here and splatters it all over the web to make himself look good with zero regard for anyone else!! 

I’m not a fan either. He can catch fish though, gotta give him that. He holds the record for shore caught bass. Got it at Portsmouth docks I believe. 

3 hours ago, DINOBOY said:

Yep, I am not keen on the pr!ck either.

3 hours ago, GPSguru said:

Yep, I am not keen on the pr!ck either.

He put videos on of one of my local marks ‘not local to him’ I said why you doing this, he basically said he couldn’t give a fuck.  He will if he’s there this year and I go straight through his gear lol.