Anchoring a wreck

Andy135

How many Outlaws anchor a wreck then? Or do you prefer to drift them?

I'm a drifter, but I plan to anchor one or two of my local wrecks and fish them just to see what other species might be in residence.

11 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

I'm a drifter, but I plan to anchor one or two of my local wrecks and fish them just to see what other species might be in residence.

Your bound to find dog fish 

34 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

I generally drift as you can quickly cover a number of wrecks to find the fish.

In the summer I tend to target a wreck and put the pin down in search of Bream on the wreck, and big turbot and plaice in the wreck scour.

These days I don't do conger....... they are bad temered assholes that bite everything they come into contact with, but I have had them to 92lb.....

2 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

I love a good tug from a conger. Their attitude is part of what I like about them, but then... I've yet to be bitten by one 😬

They go for your shoes, clothing, and anything else they can get their slimy teeth into ........ also they feck’in cheat and swim backwards......... that is just not playing cricket in my book 😇

Not much compares to a high double pollock , coalfish, or ling on a purpose made slow jigging rod 👍

• 2 weeks later...

Andy,

Tides permitting I like to get the anchor down and settle to a wreck.

The obvious candidates usually get a visit to see my boat such as eels (some very big), pout (smelly but good bait), ling (tasty) and Cod (once in a blue moon).

Interstingly though I have had my biggest Bass (14lb), biggest Pollack (17.5lb), biggest Black Bream (4lb 10onz) and biggest Tope (42lb) all whilst bait fishing wrecks at anchor!

I love drifting for Pollack and Bass too so i tend to drift whilst the tide is in full run and then get the hook down for the slacker times in the tide run thereby getting the best of both worlds.

Tight lines John

Hi Andy,

Jelly worms or Portland rigged live baits (small scad are my favourite) drifted during neaps work better in my opinion than the standard drift rigs or slow jigging.

Depending on depth of water and tide strength i may well anchor up for a full tide on neaps. if it goes quiet on baits i sometimes drop down a light lure rig over the wreck to pick up unwary pollack or bass.

Its become very popular to use the electric engines on the bow of boats even up around 7m in length. These will lock onto a gps exact mark which is great when wind and current constantly swing an anchored boat off the mark. Also staying right over the part of the wreck where the fish are holding can be very hit and miss on anchor. 

Personally I use my boat in and out of reverse holding it over a spot, depending on the wind and current this often means trimming the engine up to help reduce waves entering over the stern. I do this at the same time as fish two rods, so being very careful of a constant spinning prop takes a fair amount of concentration especially fishing alone, Im literally on the wheel all the time with one rod in hand and the other in a holder. As soon as I hook a fish I simply knock out of gear and drift off the wreck until Ive landed the fish, then move back in position again

Some of my local wrecks are in around 140m of water so anchoring would mean using rope of around 400m, not something you can easily pinpoint. We also use this same technique targeting deeper water species where we need to keep the boat over a bait 750m under the boat along the continental shelf drop offs.

Having an electronic gps aerial such as point 1 greatly helps in keeping exact positions. funny enough the Lowrance post 1 also works with my Garmin once its networked via nmea 2000.

52 minutes ago, JDP said:

Its become very popular to use the electric engines on the bow of boats even up around 7m in length. These will lock onto a gps exact mark which is great when wind and current constantly swing an anchored boat off the mark. Also staying right over the part of the wreck where the fish are holding can be very hit and miss on anchor. 

That is exactly what I am thinking of doing for next season, using a MinnKota with i-pilot ............ I have used one on a quicksilver 590 and its station keeping over a wreck in 200ft was pretty impressive, with a max of about 1m drift ............... to deploy and hit the 'spot' was about 50 times quicker than dropping the pin ............

The rolls royce would be the auto deploy Ulterra model, but that is the thick end of £4k ................ the  manual deploy models with I-pilot come out at about £1k -£1.5k

All it needs is a battery stowed in the anchor locker and judging by a boat that has one her, you can get about 7 hours battery life in a modest wind and tide, which is plenty for most of us ...............

4 hours ago, GPSguru said:

That is exactly what I am thinking of doing for next season, using a MinnKota with i-pilot ............ I have used one on a quicksilver 590 and its station keeping over a wreck in 200ft was pretty impressive, with a max of about 1m drift ............... to deploy and hit the 'spot' was about 50 times quicker than dropping the pin ............

The rolls royce would be the auto deploy Ulterra model, but that is the thick end of £4k ................ the  manual deploy models with I-pilot come out at about £1k -£1.5k

All it needs is a battery stowed in the anchor locker and judging by a boat that has one her, you can get about 7 hours battery life in a modest wind and tide, which is plenty for most of us ...............

Most are using the lithium batteries due to low weight and virtually double the run time of an equivalent wet battery. Lithium allows for depletion down to around 7% where a led battery is often less than half its amp hours before it becomes unusable.

• 3 months later...
On 11/5/2020 at 4:40 PM, Andy135 said:

Here you go......

I more or less do it the same way, but I dont mark the outline of the wreck, I use the wreck info of which direction the wreck is laying.

On the RIB I don't use an Alderney ring, it is easier to hand-ball the anchor (3.5kg Bruce) ...... I carry 220m (126fathoms) of warp)

• 2 weeks later...