Oil change

Saintly Fish

9 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Not many hours....

May want to check the interval in timing belts etc, maybe not for a while but worth knowing.

mine have about 1000 hours on each so about mid life 🙂 

I have a full service booked in for Friday. Belts, anodes, plugs, the works 👍

3 hours ago, Andy135 said:

I have a full service booked in for Friday. Belts, anodes, plugs, the works 👍

I hope that you are going to stand there with your hands on your hips watching and cross questioning him. That’s a good way to bring out the best in people 

27 minutes ago, JonC said:

I hope that you are going to stand there with your hands on your hips watching and cross questioning him. That’s a good way to bring out the best in people 

Both Fishy and I will be there, scrutinising his every move.

On 10/13/2020 at 9:41 PM, Andy135 said:

It's a 2011 engine Jon, with 170 hours on it. Hardly a ticking time bomb at 9 years old?!

#famouslastwords!

My god Andy that"s terrible, only 170 hours in 9 years .

That" far FAR worse than if it had done 100 hours plus a year.

Good luck with your ticking time bomb 😂

23 minutes ago, headlight said:

I’m sure he’s racing up and down the Solent as we speak 

3 hours ago, headlight said:

Mine has averaged 200 hours per year..... 

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, J Hook said:

Oil in that fat lump of yours will take ages to warm up. Farrrrrr slower than the coolant. Sitting at dock idling I doubt very much it will ever reach 55 deg. You got to take the boat out and give it a reasonable run. Otherwise, plumb that sucker in and hit the cabin lounger with a brewski. Perfect way to work imo. Who cares if it takes an hour to dump 20 litres.

Ok thanks

• 2 months later...

So, I still have not got round to doing this oil change yet. But as it happens tomorrow I’m taking the boat round for it’s final voyage before it gets lifted for 6 weeks on the hard. 
After the short journey of 25 minutes the engine oil will be sufficiently warm to allow the extraction of it. But, how long is it ok to leave the engine without oil in it (and no Jon it won’t be used)? Is it ok to leave it empty of oil for 2-3 weeks or should I plan to put new oil and filter in straight away?

It shouldn't matter too much if you leave it but me being me I'd do the complete job in one.  That way there is no room for forgetting anything. 

Most of the oil in an engine would have drained into the sump after that period of time you'll only be left with the galleries or other pockets that won't drain down.if you are going to leave it empty it would be good practice to crank the engine to get the oil round the engine before letting it fire, best way is to remove the wires from the stop solenoid so it cannot inject fuel, crank it in 20sec bursts so you don't overheat the starter. 

it's something I have always done after rebuilding an engine and ensures when it fires up it is not running with little oil pressure or flow whilst it pulls it up from the sump. 

2 minutes ago, Scotch_Egg2012 said:

It shouldn't matter too much if you leave it but me being me I'd do the complete job in one.  That way there is no room for forgetting anything. 

Most of the oil in an engine would have drained into the sump after that period of time you'll only be left with the galleries or other pockets that won't drain down.if you are going to leave it empty it would be good practice to crank the engine to get the oil round the engine before letting it fire, best way is to remove the wires from the stop solenoid so it cannot inject fuel, crank it in 20sec bursts so you don't overheat the starter. 

it's something I have always done after rebuilding an engine and ensures when it fires up it is not running with little oil pressure or flow whilst it pulls it up from the sump. 

Ok, thanks Scott. I will find 30 minutes more and do the whole job instead. 

Neil, if you do end up leaving the oil out, put some tape across the ignition switch so you cant accidentally go to start it...... Filters are generally quite low down so you would need to swap that out anyway, and leaving it off would soon make a mess on your nice clean boat....

32 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

Neil, if you do end up leaving the oil out, put some tape across the ignition switch so you cant accidentally go to start it...... Filters are generally quite low down so you would need to swap that out anyway, and leaving it off would soon make a mess on your nice clean boat....

Thanks Steve. If I didn’t do it all (which I will) she wouldn’t get started anyhow as she’ll be on the hard for 6 weeks.