Oil change

Saintly Fish

4 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

So, I still have not got round to doing this oil change yet. But as it happens tomorrow I’m taking the boat round for it’s final voyage before it gets lifted for 6 weeks on the hard. 
After the short journey of 25 minutes the engine oil will be sufficiently warm to allow the extraction of it. But, how long is it ok to leave the engine without oil in it (and no Jon it won’t be used)? Is it ok to leave it empty of oil for 2-3 weeks or should I plan to put new oil and filter in straight away?

I would completely finish the job and refill with new oil ............. it is bad practise to leave an engine empty of oil.

Once you have run the engine  to get the oil warm, then leave it for 10 mins to allow the accumulated oil within the engine to drain back down to the sump ..............

BTW: changing the oil on inboard boat engines is a shite job ............... be sure to have a bag of oil soak up granules to hand, of a load of dry rag ...........

Is the oil filter a paper or a screw on can ?

1 hour ago, Saintly Fish said:

It’s a black screw on type, I have a Tupperware bowl to put under it and the strap wrench. 

IIffit hangs vertical, then carefully fill the new one with oil before fitting ................. if it is horizontal then half fill with oil (otherwise it gets messy), remember to smear the sealing ring with fresh oil before fitting ...... it stops the ring from 'crunching' and also makes sure that the filter is easier to get off.

By doing the above the oil pressure will build quicker when you start the engine as the pump doesn't have to fill the filter first.

19 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

How imperative is it to get 100% of the old oil out? Mine holds 10.5lt but I have only been able to pump out 7.5-8.

How much was put in at the last service? Can you be sure 10.5l was put in?

1 minute ago, Andy135 said:

How much was put in at the last service? Do you have receipts for 10.5l?

There will be half a litre in your filter, you will never get it all out as there are little pockets that hold oil. Also unless you know the exact amount that went in you would never know how much can come out. 

7 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Did you start the engine to fill the filter, and check for leaks ? Then recheck the oil level.

He probably didn’t do any of it, his fitter Gary did it all like when he claimed to have stripped his heat exchanger out. 

Just because it's low hours doesn't mean you shouldn't pay careful attention to the powerhead anodes on Suzuki's. When I bought my last one it had 235hrs on it and service receipts showing the powerhead anodes had been changes twice in those 235 hrs. Unfortunately there was nothing at all left of them even though they had been changed just engine running hours 35hrs before. The reason being it had taken the previous owner 4 years to do those 35hrs. 

2 minutes ago, JDP said:

Just because it's low hours doesn't mean you shouldn't pay careful attention to the powerhead anodes on Suzuki's. When I bought my last one it had 235hrs on it and service receipts showing the powerhead anodes had been changes twice in those 235 hrs. Unfortunately there was nothing at all left of them even though they had been changed just engine running hours 35hrs before. The reason being it had taken the previous owner 4 years to do those 35hrs. 

He’s got a tractor engine not a Suzuki? 

10 hours ago, JDP said:

They also have a nickname of Alka Seltzer’s in this part of the world due to their ease of dissolving...