Hull wrap

The blue hull on my Starfisher 840 is oxidised and a bit shit looking. Also the old sticker outlines are visible. I know it can all be cut and polished out, but how long will that last? A season? Half a season? Then I’ll have to do it all again. 
Im considering a hull wrap. 7-10 year life span with no maintenance apart from a fresh water wash down now and again. 
Any one had a hull wrap before ?

Was it any good? 
I’ve seen a couple of examples of the guys work and he’s real good at it. 

5 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

The blue hull on my Starfisher 840 is oxidised and a bit shit looking. Also the old sticker outlines are visible. I know it can all be cut and polished out, but how long will that last? A season? Half a season? Then I’ll have to do it all again. 
Im considering a hull wrap. 7-10 year life span with no maintenance apart from a fresh water wash down now and again. 
Any one had a hull wrap before ?

Was it any good? 
I’ve seen a couple of examples of the guys work and he’s real good at it. 

I would try that gear swampy used on his blue hull, that came up lovely. 
I have shadows from gt stripes that were down the sides, they rat me. I will try to polish them out better this year 

7 minutes ago, JonC said:

I would try that gear swampy used on his blue hull, that came up lovely. 
I have shadows from gt stripes that were down the sides, they rat me. I will try to polish them out better this year 

You don’t think I’m going to do the hard work do you Jon? 😂

11 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Anyway...... back to the topic

The only bad thing I have heard about is that 'wrap' is very easily damaged, nowhere near as tough as Gel coat ..............

Get stuck in there with an electric polisher, followed by a good quality wax ................ JonC will do it for you ..........🤣

5 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

The only bad thing I have heard about is that 'wrap' is very easily damaged, nowhere near as tough as Gel coat ..............

Get stuck in there with an electric polisher, followed by a good quality wax ................ JonC will do it for you ..........🤣

Good advice Neil. Even if JonC does not oblige, your gelcoat is far better than a film wrap.  Once you have mastered the polisher you could try self isolating in Lincolnshire and do mine.  Geoff. 

Paints (not diy applied) are more robust than both wrap and gel coat + easier to touch up..  Awlgrip is supposed to be really good but a good paint job will be more expensive than a wrap.  I have heard that even Sunseeker boats have boats painted in darker shades as the paints do not fade/chalk as much as gelcoat.

My brother had a Sunseeker 48' Superhawk.  That was wrapped and got damaged by the boatyard the first time they lifted it.  He did however have the yard pay to have the boat re-wrapped

15 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Good advice Neil. Even if JonC does not oblige, your gelcoat is far better than a film wrap.  Once you have mastered the polisher you could try self isolating in Lincolnshire and do mine.  Geoff. 

Farecla G3 or G6 , followed by a good boat wax .......................

Electric polishing is quick ............ 2 or us did one side of a Bavaria 36 yacht  on a short tide window, then turned it on the high tide and did the other side on the next tide window ...........

Edited by GPSguru

Boat wraps are popular here but from what Ive seen many don't have a great life span, maybe the sunny climate doesn't help. Ive seen some peeling off from people who have tried applying them themselves.

I google searched and found which cut and polish compounds most people were using and invested in a decent polisher after wasting money on a low cost polisher (like a 9ins grinder!!) Now Ive detailed all our vehicles and can't believe how easy and rewarding the finish is when using better gear for the job Makita PO6000C

9 hours ago, GPSguru said:

Yes I am aware of this and that’s my only reservation. I don’t have time to polish the boat myself. I’ve been quoted £340 to polish the hull and if it needs doing every season that 2500-3400 quid over the life time of the wrap. The wrap is better value over the life time. Could be even better value seeing as the guy wants his bathroom re done! 

8 hours ago, iowspence said:

After. Pics prob don’t do it justice as I’ve just done a screen shot. The lines on the side are actually the reflection of the trailer. It’s like a mirror. As I said, absolutely fantastic job they done!! 

285F37D5-B105-4012-9A9A-6BCD6787F753.jpeg

Thanks Spence. That looks brand new again👍🏻
What company did he use? £1200 is cheaper than my quote but his boat does look smaller slightly. 

How would they wrap a boat that's not on a trailer? Presume you'd have to get your boat put onto blocks and they'd wrap just the top half of the hull?

If you're going to do it, you may as well get something properly unique. Logos/branding or some custom type of colour scheme. Seems a bit "meh" to get a wrap of the same colour as you already have. A missed opportunity perhaps?

2 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

How would they wrap a boat that's not on a trailer? Presume you'd have to get your boat put onto blocks and they'd wrap just the top half of the hull?

If you're going to do it, you may as well get something properly unique. Logos/branding or some custom type of colour scheme. Seems a bit "meh" to get a wrap of the same colour as you already have. A missed opportunity perhaps?

Unlike some, I’m into classic and classy not shell suit flashy thanks. 
and yes it would be done when the boat get pulled out for 6 weeks in January. 

7 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Unlike some, I’m into classic and classy not shell suit flashy thanks. 
and yes it would be done when the boat get pulled out for 6 weeks in January. 

Shame, I had visions of Tarlach Too in purple with lime green go-fast stripes... 😉

11 hours ago, JDP said:

Boat wraps are popular here but from what Ive seen many don't have a great life span, maybe the sunny climate doesn't help. Ive seen some peeling off from people who have tried applying them themselves.

I google searched and found which cut and polish compounds most people were using and invested in a decent polisher after wasting money on a low cost polisher (like a 9ins grinder!!) Now Ive detailed all our vehicles and can't believe how easy and rewarding the finish is when using better gear for the job Makita PO6000C

What does it do different? I know it’s going to be far better quality and more robust than a normal polisher but is there a different function? 

Decent polishing machines are DA (dual action) rather than concentric action. There is also a vast difference in Quality. I bought an Argos version for about £55, but it was uncomfortable to use and vibrated a lot. The DA's used in the FG works cost about £300 each, but are far better, especially if using for several hours in a day.

The Argos one would be fine if polishing about once a year, but the professional machines are  faGeoff.r better.